PDA

View Full Version : How to convert Trailer to Pintle?

RedWingsDet
12-04-2007, 10:03 PM
How do you convert a 2 5/16ths ball hitch on the trailer to a pintle. I was towing my buddies pintle trailer this past weekend and it seemed like it was a much better/safer way to tow.

Gravel Rat
12-04-2007, 10:27 PM
You chop the old hitch off build a flat plate on the end of the trailer reach buy a lunnette eye and bolt it on. You can have multiple bolt holes to make the Lunnette eye adjustable. A good welding shop can make what you want and you can buy the pintle hook parts from a trailer store.

Pintle hook trailers bang around a little but they make it so much easier to back up and less binding. Its also easier to hook up.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
12-04-2007, 10:28 PM
How do you convert a 2 5/16ths ball hitch on the trailer to a pintle. I was towing my buddies pintle trailer this past weekend and it seemed like it was a much better/safer way to tow.

Mark, It can be done. But a pic of the trailer tongue would be helpful. Most likely you can cut off the old coupler and weld on a new pintle coupler. Depending on how the trailer coupler is now you might have to modify the tongue and/or the pintle you weld on.

grassmanak
12-04-2007, 10:47 PM
some trailer the coupler piece is welder on their, its a seperate piece that gets added, you may be able to cut it off and then weld on a pintle

ken gustafson
12-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I have had 6 trailers converted to pintle/lunette style hitch. It is simple and is many times, like maybe 15 or 20 , stronger. I did it for many other reasons. Everything in military has this connection was biggest reason.....then I made a lock for it. www.trailerlocksonline.com is our site for trailer locks.
Now... I know that many trailers have this connection...at last count 70 different types of trailers. Heavy equipment...car haulers...wood chippers...log splitters...concrete mixers...tilt bed....list goes on and on but my trailers are mostly Dump bed trailers. Lots of folks complain about noise in connection...if the noise is there I just do not notice it and I deliver at least 150 cords of split firewood per year plus other loads. I love the safety in the hauling and the security in the lock....my 2 cents...Thanks, Ken

fastcat
12-06-2007, 11:20 PM
this is what i have. only 40 bucks. its adjustable and if you need to leave the trailer somewhere take the pintel hitch off and no worrys http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200312040_200312040

ken gustafson
12-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I did something like Fastcat in the beginning and then thought about it one day. For $25 at Northern Tool I could buy a model # 12872 and someone could just bolt in what I took off and then drive away with my trailers. So I adjusted the Lunette/pintle eye to fit my truck welded the nuts to the bolts and now I install a DaPlug trailer lock. This lock takes about 12 seconds to unlock and remove. Ken

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
12-08-2007, 04:22 AM
I did something like Fastcat in the beginning and then thought about it one day. For $25 at Northern Tool I could buy a model # 12872 and someone could just bolt in what I took off and then drive away with my trailers. So I adjusted the Lunette/pintle eye to fit my truck welded the nuts to the bolts and now I install a DaPlug trailer lock. This lock takes about 12 seconds to unlock and remove. Ken

This is very true and something to take into consideration with this decision or any trailer coupler/hookup for that matter. Your trailer is only as secure as it's weakest link. If someone can just take something off and put on what they need, then consider your trailer a target. That's one big disadvantage of having the advantage of being adjustable. While it's a good idea to have the trailer adjustable to accommodate the vehicle for proper towing level, I would recommend doing something like Ken did to make it more permanent. Or just weld the pintle hook to the trailer tongue and use an adjustable pintle plate or hookup on the truck. Most pintle setups on the truck already allow for both up or down movement because of the multiple drilled holes.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=pintle&Nty=1&D=pintle&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

ken gustafson
12-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I did not answer your question but I believe Gravel Rat did. You cut the old hitch off. Then weld on the new hitch. Adjust for hight and then in my opinion...weld the nuts to the bolts so that it cannot be removed without welding equipment of some type. Then depending on your situation....? In my situation...I designed, built, applied and was granted a U.S. Patent and then I started to mass produce the product. Expensive...YES for me...$15,000 just for paperwork but it works. Please view... www.trailerlocksonline.com The rest is still coming. Ken