PDA

View Full Version : No clue where to even start.

stuffdeer
12-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, I've never posted in here before. So here it goes.

I'm a Junior at my High school, and today the head baseball coach asked me if I'd start to like maintaining the Baseball field. He said, he has no clue on what he wants done, but he wants it to look really good.

Where would you even start, and what services would your recommend to him?

Thanks A lot, and feel free to PM me.

Rtom45
12-05-2007, 08:19 AM
stuffdeer:
What kind of background and experience do you have? Maintaining athletic fields is a whole different ballgame (pun intended) as compared to lawn maintenance. It'll help guys answer your question if they know where they need to start.

stuffdeer
12-05-2007, 08:54 AM
stuffdeer:
What kind of background and experience do you have? Maintaining athletic fields is a whole different ballgame (pun intended) as compared to lawn maintenance. It'll help guys answer your question if they know where they need to start.

I've been doing lawn maintenance for 3 years now. However, I've never done any kind of thing like this. It might be quite a big project, but I want to do it. I also get a lot of advertising with this deal.

The grass looks decent now. I don't think I will have to do much to keep it green.

I guess I have a few questions then, I'm going to make a drag for the gravelly substance the have around the turf.

1. Do you dethatch baseball fields?
2. What about aerating?
3. How short should I be cutting this?
4. Should I be bagging it?
5. What other organic fertilizer can I lay? (Not old enough to get pesticide and other license, but I can legally lay organic stuff)

Anything else?

Rtom45
12-06-2007, 08:35 AM
stuffdeer:
try these 2 websites:
www.ballfields.com/ click on field tips
http://agebb.missouri.edu/stat/
you may have more questions than answers when you're finished looking at these, but at least you'll have a better idea of what you're getting into

stuffdeer
12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks a Lot, I will be taking a look at these.

out4now
12-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I used to do ball feilds. What type of soil base is it? Are you going with grass runways or skinned runways? Turface (the gravel substance you referred to) is a calcalined clay product. It needs to be broomed out of the turf or its like tossing money out. A power broom attachment on the end of an Echo will be handy. Also check out Floyd Perry's site GMS for sports fields. http://www.gmsforsportsfields.com/
It's very different from maintaining a home lawn. Also remember schools and public facilities are very limited on budget. As for grass clippings depends on how often you are mowing. Returning the clippings is fine as long as the clippings are fine enough. Aeration and will be less than a football field as compaction will be less from foot traffic.

Mscotrid
12-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Mike,

Find out how much they have budgeted for field maintenance. Build your program that way, try not go in there with a Caddilac program if they only want to pay for a Yugo. Unlike residential and commercial turf; sports turf maintenance will vary greatly. Get us some more information and I'll see waht we can come up with.

packey
12-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Hey it is early in the year. Have they over seeded for early play with winter rye blend. What is the area you are in and what are the temps where you are for the next few months.
-As to aerating yes aerate the field. but please use something to mark the sprinkler heads with.
-Cutting heighth it all depends on the grass or grass blends. We kept our out field at 2 1/2 inches and our infield at 2 inches.
-If you do not bag anything else bag the infield. You will need to cut the infield at least 2-3 times a week and the out field 2 times a week.
-Dragging the bases is easy most schools already have a drag if not you can make one out of a chain link fence gate.
- Stripping see if the need you to chalk and stipe the field with paint down the base lines. Get the official measurements from the coach as to batter box, on deck circles and all other field markings
-constantly rotate your mowing patterns. If you know how to stripe with the mower this is always an added touch that the coaches will like.

I have spent sevral years as head ground for a larger school district before leaving to preach full time. it is fun but it will take a good bit of work.
As far as ferts check with the school and see what they are already putting down. Maybe you can get ther fert schedule or maybe they will take care of it for you.

stuffdeer
12-30-2007, 09:58 PM
HEy everyone

Thanks for all the information. When school resumes I will talk to the head coach. I was acually in his class, so he knows who I am, and what I do.

I will see what exactly they want, and what they are allowed to pay.

Thanks!

lifetree
12-30-2007, 10:11 PM
... I will see what exactly they want, and what they are allowed to pay. Thanks !

That's always the best place to start !!