PDA

View Full Version : The All New Ford Super Dutys... They're on Fire

mark_the_psycho
12-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc

Even though I'm a "Ford truck man," their diesels are http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7PUGaVANHBmniM:http://www.youstinklikepoop.com/images/poop.gif

lawnspecialties
12-05-2007, 08:30 AM
That has not been a big issue with the 6.4. The exhaust system is designed to burn up the deposits inside which are filtered for emissions. This process occurs about once a tankful if I recall correctly. Some just needed an "adjustment" I guess.

mark_the_psycho
12-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Ford diesels have been plagued with problems, need I remind you of the turbo issue?

TXNSLighting
12-05-2007, 09:42 AM
my god man, that video is so so so old! that happened when they first came out! it was corrected way back in april. they havent had that many turbo issues. they are actually quite good diesels! plagued with problems? whatever.

mag360
12-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Supposedly this problem no longer occurs. I know there was a learning curve for ford and dodge as far as when to cycle. The 6.4 flamethrowers were attention catching, but dodge set parameters so burn off would only occur over 35mph and had trouble with yard trucks, delivery trucks, etc. that don't exceed 35 for extended periods of time.

The big trucks are also having issues.

Scag48
12-05-2007, 05:34 PM
This issue was fixed months ago, this was only an issue for the first 6.4's. My buddy works at a Ford dealership as a tech, they haven't seen any issues since some of the first run trucks came back in for the recall.

L&L
12-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Dont get me wrong....I love fords and I own a few but why would Ford after all the testing they did on these new diesel release a truck that blows flames out the exhaust?? Also what are they getting for mpg's out of the new 6.4's? My buddy has one and the best he can get is 9...is this true?

ZX12R
12-05-2007, 06:55 PM
To add fuel to the fire,2008 6.4 diesels are blowing thru radiators. :mad:

lawnspecialties
12-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't think anyone can dispute the early 6.0L diesels were absolutely full of problems. Most folks stay away from '03s and the '04s were hit or miss. From '05 on, the 6.0Ls have been great.

But just because this is the case does not mean the new 6.4 will follow in it's predecessor's footsteps. From what I've heard and read, I'd have no problems at all buying one if I were in the market.

Remember, the new Tundra has had more than it's share of camshaft problems and faulty tailgates but to start ranting about how the Toyota trucks are junk would be just plain dumb.:hammerhead:

supercuts
12-05-2007, 08:52 PM
i just bought one, i asked them to re-tune it to blow the flames out again, i thought it was cool feature. so far, mine is great, all 800miles worth. it start in the cold like a gas engine, unlike my 7.3's. the other day i could barely get my 7.3 to start, trying a few times with the glow plugs, the 6.4 fired right up. i was shocked. im getting 15mpg on the highway, 11-12 town, but its brand new/breaking in and its winter mix fuel

jt5019
12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
From what ive been hearing the new fords are preforming very well. Im seeing a lot of them around now and they look pretty darn nice!

lawn king
12-05-2007, 09:03 PM
After many good years with my f350 7.3 diesel, i elected to go GM (allison/duramax) due to all the problems mentioned above.

DAR57
12-05-2007, 09:14 PM
.........After many good years with my 7.3 Diesel..........I just keep on top off the maintence and go another 225,000. OHhhh the OTHER ways I could spend $40,000.00+.

TXNSLighting
12-06-2007, 08:46 AM
To add fuel to the fire,2008 6.4 diesels are blowing thru radiators. :mad:

yeh this has started to be a problem on job 1 trucks. ford tech told me that their workin on a bigger radiator to handle everything. its hard to duplicate how the public are goin to use these vehicles. i was at the dodge dealer yesterday and they said the 6.7 cummins are havin emmision system problems and turbo issues. but of course you dont hear about that...

ZX12R
12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
". i was at the dodge dealer yesterday and they said the 6.7 cummins are havin emmision system problems and turbo issues. but of course you dont hear about that...
"

You will not hear a lot of thing with problems on trucks unless its major.Read the truck forums and you will see the problems,if any on all the trucks.I am in the market for a truck but the problems with the 6.4 fords will keep me away from them.The Duramax diesels seem to have the least problems.

L&L
12-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I have heard about the problems the new cummins have been having. From what I have read its been the 2007.5 6.7's that have been having a few problems. They need to be reflashed a few times but other then that nothing major. The new 6.7 isn't getting as good as mileage as the old 5.9 but its a lot better then the 6.4's. The new emissions are problems for all the new diesels and it will take a litttle time to get the bugs out. I lost faith in Ford after the 6.0 and the issues they have been having with the 6.4. I love my 7.3 psd and I wont knock it but I couldn't bring myself to buy a new ford. I would have considered a new Chevy but they don't have a solid front axle like Dodge or Ford not to mention I think they are ugly. If they put a Cummins in a Ford that would be the ultimate. I hope my new Dodge holds up. The new 6.7 pulls like crazy and the 6 spd auto is great.

TXNSLighting
12-06-2007, 04:20 PM
". i was at the dodge dealer yesterday and they said the 6.7 cummins are havin emmision system problems and turbo issues. but of course you dont hear about that...
"

You will not hear a lot of thing with problems on trucks unless its major.Read the truck forums and you will see the problems,if any on all the trucks.I am in the market for a truck but the problems with the 6.4 fords will keep me away from them.The Duramax diesels seem to have the least problems.

and the 6.4's are really not havin any problems!

TXNSLighting
12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
A radiator is not that big of a deal...sorry. are guys forgetting this engine is still in its first year?!

supercuts
12-07-2007, 06:30 AM
i was told that the new 6.7's are having problems and the techs cant fix them. whether its because they are untrained, or because engineers cant figure it out was unclear. they do have a built in jake brake and sound very nice on the highway.

my new ford, 6.4, has been great so far. starts up like a gas engine, runs like one too. even in the cold. it does take a while to heat up.

TGM
12-07-2007, 08:36 AM
there are two versions now of the 6.7s that, yes, are having problems.

so far the 6.4 hasn't been that bad, and the regen fires were fixed with a reflash, that's it.

a lot of the problems have to do with the DPF's (diesel particulate filter) which burn off the trapped soot in "regen" mode. not to mention the turbo problems dodge is having; a lot of problems are related to software though.

TXNSLighting
12-07-2007, 11:43 AM
and we can thank the government! the real problem is not deisels but gas engines. they just think its diesel because you can see the black smoke. all these emmisions crap are affecting all three diesel engines. its making them all not do as good. and think about after the warrantys are gone on these new ones...no ones goin to want em! think how much that crap will be to replace! along with injectors and turbos and all that!! bad times...