PDA

View Full Version : ed Trailer 6 x 12 or or the more rare 6 x 14?

Exact Rototilling
12-05-2007, 03:23 PM
This question is primarily aimed @ current or past owners of 6 x 12 or 6 x 14 enclosed trailers.

I'm thinking the extra 2 feet of length would allow for more wiggle room at the expense of trailer length. I've already mapped out floor space on the 6 x 12 and there is enough room. Does the extra 2 feet make the trailer a hassle in any way? Is the extra Maneuverability more important than the length? I'm told that the 14 footer can accomdate 2 atv's end to end so this might make resale of the trailer a bit easier.

Quick 36
Troy-bilt Horse w/ bumper
21" Mower
2 or 3 old style 33 gal trash barrels

These would be single axle 2990 gvrw trailers. I have no intention of hauling any heavy riding mowers with these trailers. If I get a rider I will get a bigger 3/4 ton domestic or possibly a 3/4 ton Tundra when they come out along with a much larger 7 or 8 foot wide trailer. Maybe 2009 or 2010 I'll wait and see how cash flow goes for 2008.

Exact Rototilling
12-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I looked at more trailers today. The more I look the more undecided I am. Unfortunately on the lower end of this market [single axles enclosed trailer] there is some rather light weight looking cross members under the flooring plywood The only floor cross members I'm impressed with is the Pace Cargo sport and the Pace Summit I beam frame the later being overkill for a single axle trailer of this class.

Slight thread self hijack - Those of you who have purchased enclosed trailers what features are important? AND if you had to buy all over again what would you of done different?

KS_Grasscutter
12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Definitely go for the 14'. I upgraded from a 12' to 16' this year. MUCH more space, but still wishing it was just a little bigger. As for maneuverability... I haven't noticed too much differance. I do run over my fair share of curbs...but that isn't really the trailers fault, its just that I am not by any means the worlds best driver.

tomo
12-06-2007, 06:02 AM
hello,
If u select a single axle ,4 MAJOR POINTS to consider

1/Due to the lack of good weight carrying capacity a single axle will suffer poor resale compared to a load sharing dual axle leaf spring set up on the same trailer

2/ The larger the trailer on a single axle the available load capacity is very limited [3500 axle]

3/ A single axle trailer does not handle as well as a dual axle . EG the trailer movement influences the tow vehicle . More so directed towards 1/2 ton ,3/4 or greater would reduce the influence some what .

4/ A single axle with a capacity of around 4000 or 5000 lbs would be a better option if single is a "must"

Brakes are a good idea also on any thing over 1600 lbs

tomo:waving:

Exact Rototilling
12-06-2007, 01:48 PM
hello,
If u select a single axle ,4 MAJOR POINTS to consider

1/Due to the lack of good weight carrying capacity a single axle will suffer poor resale compared to a load sharing dual axle leaf spring set up on the same trailer

2/ The larger the trailer on a single axle the available load capacity is very limited [3500 axle]

3/ A single axle trailer does not handle as well as a dual axle . EG the trailer movement influences the tow vehicle . More so directed towards 1/2 ton ,3/4 or greater would reduce the influence some what .

4/ A single axle with a capacity of around 4000 or 5000 lbs would be a better option if single is a "must"

Brakes are a good idea also on any thing over 1600 lbs

tomo:waving:
Points well taken. A single axle 6 x 12 or 6 x 14 trailer is a unfortunate compromise. Due to my wimpy tow vehicles I really have no choice with out spending a pile of cash on a truck upgrade.

There are some fairly well constructed 6 x 12's however they are over $4,500. I refuse to spend over $3,000 for something I will mostlikely out grow with in 24 months - low resale etc. :cry:

I'm stuck spending good money on bad for the 2008 season.:hammerhead:

NMS0219
12-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I just bought 2 new 6x12 haulin enclosed trailers. Its made by forest river. I upgraded the base model to include extra floor, wall and side supports,, extra heavy duty rear ramp door ( that thing is built like a tank), white marlite interior, extra interior lighting, brakes, smooth side ( no rivits), and crome corners and stone guard. The whole trailer cost me $3200 with all the add on's . Its at the sign shop now getting the wraped. The reason I went with a 6x12 is that one crew mows alot of tight city yards. I figured that if I went biger it would block the neighbors driveway. Plus I figured that its less trailer to try and manuver in city traffic. The other one is going to be used by my landscape guys. I'm going to set it up for doing pavers and retaining walls.

Exact Rototilling
12-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I just bought 2 new 6x12 haulin enclosed trailers. Its made by forest river. I upgraded the base model to include extra floor, wall and side supports,, extra heavy duty rear ramp door ( that thing is built like a tank), white marlite interior, extra interior lighting, brakes, smooth side ( no rivits), and crome corners and stone guard. The whole trailer cost me $3200 with all the add on's . Its at the sign shop now getting the wraped. The reason I went with a 6x12 is that one crew mows alot of tight city yards. I figured that if I went biger it would block the neighbors driveway. Plus I figured that its less trailer to try and manuver in city traffic. The other one is going to be used by my landscape guys. I'm going to set it up for doing pavers and retaining walls.
Sounds like an excellent value for $3200. I'd be happy to find one like that used for that price. In my area that trailer would of been $4,500 to $5,000 new.
~~~~
After doing more research I'm thinking the 6 x 12 is the way to go. All the 6 x 14's have 24 inch frame center and the payload is lowered due to the increased trailer weight. Beside the maneuverability of a 12 footer has it's strong point.

If I can't fit it in the 6 x12 and in the back of my Toyota pickup then it's time to reevaluate my business plan and the need for a bigger truck and a 7 x 18 or 8 x 20 +.

One has to jump in and get wet at some point. My tiny 4 x 8 is great for my Rototiller or mower and some hand tools but that's it.