PDA

View Full Version : Bought used dump trailer today - what do you think?

flairland
12-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey guys,
I was browsing through a local online classified site and came across a dump trailer for $2200, and I've been looking for one for a while. I went to see, and its rough, rougher than I thought. However, I ended up taking it for $1700. What do you guys think?? Its a 3.5 ton, 5x10, everything works, but might need one or two new tires.
Its gonna be my winter project to get it lookin pretty again!

P.Services
12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
geez man nice shop!!!! looks like a good deal. new tires and slap some paint on it and you have a heck of a deal.

supercuts
12-05-2007, 09:42 PM
you can say used again, why dont you talk about how you have the coolest shop ever! forget that old rust heap you bought, tell us about the shop

MOWALLTHETIME
12-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I am so jealous that shop is freakin awesome.

P.Services
12-05-2007, 09:51 PM
i would kill for that heater!!!!!

flairland
12-05-2007, 09:56 PM
It is a kick a** shop, you guys dont even see haalf of it! Unfortunately, it isnt mine, its my neighbours, who's a retired farmer, and really doesnt use it anymore. So, he allows me to put all my equipment in there, and use the shop to my free will - he even heats it for me!

P.Services
12-05-2007, 10:21 PM
wow what a nice guy!! i would buy him a heck of a christmas gift

shane mapes
12-06-2007, 12:16 AM
nice trailer keep us up on he pics over the winter

flairland
12-06-2007, 12:18 AM
I'll do that, might be a while, but ya, I'll take another picture when its all done and ready for work!

Guzman Properties
12-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Looks good, shop looks great, nice size doors, put that torch to use and fix that thing up!!!!

ken gustafson
12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Your trailer is like the ones I use. Mine are 6 x 12 and same type bed over wheels. Trailer is same width as my truck...very helpful when delivering firewood.
I believe you shall enjoy this trailer very much. Here in California the trailer is insured by the policy carried on the vehicle towing the trailer. So the costs are as low as can be expected.
I would like to ask....the type of connection from trailer to vehicle? Trailer Ball size and name of connection...Atwood or Bulldog or ? Ken

TXNSLighting
12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
man very very nice shop!! that would be nice to have! very nice of him to let you use it! not going to comment on the trailer tho....

flairland
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the compliments on the shop, but how about the trailer? Around here, I can't find aaany kind of dump trailer for under $4000. This thing is rusty, but not rusted through or anything. I figure I'll put $800 max into this trailer and it'll look and work like new! That brings my total to 2500 - can't beat that!
As for the hookup, it has a 2 5/16" ball, electric brakes on one axle, and thats as much as I know. Its a 'berkelman trailer' - he's a local builder and has a very good reputation on his trailers - always more expensive than your average, but most people are willing to pay due to quality of his builds. Anyways, thanks for the comments so far! I will keep you updated too

mattfromNY
12-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Is there a trailer in those pics? All I could see is one kick-azz shop!!
Looks like you'll have no problems finding a place to work on that trailer!

agm
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Looks like a home made trailer. $1700? I guess thats an alright deal.

ATL Lawn
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
show more pics of the shop :)

lifetree
12-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I have to agree with everyone else in this thread, congratulations on having such a nice shop to work in !!

cantoo
12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
flairland, decent deal on the trailer. Berkelman makes a decent trailer. Used dump trailer prices seem to be pretty close to new price lately. I'm kinda looking for one but of course want a deal. Looked at one last week for $2200 but never got it.

flairland
12-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I am fortunate to have a shop like that to use, its great, never short of room - or tools! I'll post another pic or two of the shop tomorrow hopefully, and if you're lucky, some more pics of the trailer too:drinkup:

flairland
12-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Sandblasted the trailer today.. hopefully paint tomorrow!
By the way, this isn't the same shop - I blasted it at my buddies who has the machine.

FearThisDeere
12-11-2007, 08:45 PM
That's still a great deal on that dump trailer.

pafirewood
12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
how big of a sandblaster does your buddy have?

flairland
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Sorry I don't know any specs on the sand blaster, or compressor, all I know was that the compressor was trailer mounted - reeal powerful - and the actual sand blaster could handle one bag of 50lbs. bag at a time.

flairland
01-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Basically finished my trailer yesterday. Took more time than what I was hoping to put into it, but I'm happy with the result, and still saved money. I first put 2 coats of black 'MetalPro' paint on it, its a great primer, and then, put two coats of black Fulthane paint on it, to fill in some rust pores and give it that extra glossyness. I also put two new tires on it, bought a new tarp (not yet installed) and new lights and wiring all the way around (the wiring just needs some fiddling yet :dizzy:!!) Sorry about picture quality -its a cell picture.

FearThisDeere
01-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Looks much better. Do you have a fender law up there? Here you need to have fenders on everything.

flairland
01-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks! I haven't heard of that law myself, but was actually thinking of putting them on anyways. Better to be safe than sorry!

meets1
01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Nice shop, not a bad trailer and then we gotta talk about the truck!! But really need more pics of shop!!

flairland
01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks again,

The truck is pretty plain jane, I like it though, it works good for me and for the size my company is right now. Its a 98' 1/2 ton, 4x4 with the 318. The trailer is a 6x10, and yes, I love the shop - very appreciative to be able to use it!

cantoo
01-13-2008, 08:40 PM
flairland, tis the law. Gotta have fenders, besides in the rain you won't be able to see crap. I might have a couple of trailers with no fenders. :)

ExclusiveLawnCare
01-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Wow, nice job it looks really good, and hey your phone takes some really good pictures, lol.

turboawd
01-14-2008, 12:35 AM
good job on the trailer. i hope you are not planning on putting anything too heavy in it though , like dirt or gravel. :nono: it looks like the trailer was designed for light loads.

flairland
01-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. On the fender issue, rubber flaps behind and in front of the wheels are good enough right?
The trailer was previously used for roofing, so ya, it wasn't used for real heavy materials. I do plan on using it for moving around 2 ish yards of gravel/stone, but I rarely need much more than that at one time.
Do you guys think a dingo could lift over the sides of this trailer?? I believe the height on the sides is just over 5 ft. I don't have a dingo yet, but hope to buy one this summer. However, if it can't dump over the sides, I might be looking at doing some mods...that, or trading it in for something with lower sides.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
put a ramp on it and drive in the back to dump

flairland
01-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Yea, thats not a bad idea.. I was also thinking about making one of the sides 'fold-down' - not just to make it easier for dumping with a dingo, but also loading pallets, or bundles of wood as I do a fair bit of fencing and decking.

lyube
01-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Hey Flairland,

Nice save on the dump!

After seeing your dump trailer, I want one. Nevermind I have no need of a dump trailer, but I'd like one.

Nice truck too :)

flairland
01-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks lyube!

Anyone know how to power the trailer battery from my trucks' battery? Do I need a heavier gauge wire to run to the battery, or can I just run it from the truck to the trailer with regular trailer gauge wire?

nathaniellawnwv
01-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Boy, that shop wouldn't happen to be the same shop I saw some picture online of an old military truck sitting in, would it? It sure looks identical.

flairland
01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks lyube!

Anyone know how to power the trailer battery from my trucks' battery? Do I need a heavier gauge wire to run to the battery, or can I just run it from the truck to the trailer with regular trailer gauge wire?

Annyone??

P.S. No, this shop hasn't had any military trucks sitting in it