PDA

View Full Version : Kubota engine spitting oil out of dipstick tube

westcoh
12-05-2007, 08:31 PM
I've got a 753 Bobcat which has been just about bullet-proof since I got it. Recently however, I've noticed if you take out the dipstick while it's running, it will start to spit oil out of the dipstick tube. It's got the Kubota diesel engine in it and it's never had any blow-by and always ran great. Any idea what it could be?

I'm hoping to replace the whole machine in the spring, but it looks like for now it's gonna be another busy winter with it doing snow removal.

freddyc
12-05-2007, 10:04 PM
If that were a gas engine I'd say the crankcase breather is plugged...not sure on a diesel though as the the only one I have is a 7.3 psd in a ford,

Why are you pulling the dipstick when the engine is running anyway??? Does oil get forced out of anywhere when the dipstick is still in?

turboawd
12-05-2007, 11:11 PM
is there too much oil in the engine?

bobcat_ron
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
When the engine is running, it'll spit out the oil there because that's where there is the least amount of resistance for the oil pressure to go, always shut the engine off and check the oil.
But if there is constant weeping around the dipstick that might indicate that there is either too much oil or the breather tube is plugged.

Dirt Digger2
12-06-2007, 07:35 AM
why would you pull the dipstick with the engine running anyway?...your never going to accomplish an accurate oil check that way

you either check the oil after the engine has been sitting for a while (in the morning) or after the engine is very hot

westcoh
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Alright, I'm well aware of the fact that your not going to accomplish an accurate oil check with the engine running, but that's besides what I'm trying to figure out. The only reason I pulled it in the first place was there was a slight trail of oil going down the dipstick tube, so please spare the advice on how to check the oil level. I'm sure theres not too much oil either. A few other people have suggested about the breather tube being plugged so I'm gonna look into that.

cat2
12-06-2007, 08:31 PM
When you pull the dipstick out with the engine running some oil will come out. Any engine will do it. depends on how long the dipstick is and all of that too

Dirt Digger2
12-06-2007, 09:03 PM
haha sorry for the advice...i realize now that it was intended for a 5th grader...i have a little oil down the stick tube in my truck..and virtually all our equipment has it too...it might be as simple as the seal for the dipstick and the tube is going shot, on some there is a little rubber gasket up in there...check that

tallrick
12-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Kubota engines always do that, but it's only a few drops at a time. If the oil was erupting from the dipstick I would be concerned. You can replace the rubber plug where the dipstick meets the collar and the oil should stay put. Also make sure the oil is not milky looking from a coolant leak. Remember, some blow-by is always normal. If you are not losing a lot of oil and not overheating just keep an eye on your oil pressure and all will be well.

wanabe
12-07-2007, 12:35 PM
When the dipstick blows out when it is running is when you have problems!