PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu NPR, Mitsubishi FE, or Ford LCF?

SpruceLandscape
12-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting one of these cab-over style dumps for this spring. Either a good deal on a left over 07 or a lease return. I'm just trying to decide which one is the better truck to go with.
It doesn't matter to me whether its gas or diesel, it should only see around 12-15k miles/year.
I do want one that I can put a plow on and tow a trailer with say 6K lbs.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
I have been pretty impressed with the Isuzus (was looking them over at the dealership) but haven't had a chance to check out the Mitsu in person yet.
I'm not looking for anything over a 14000 gvw... a 12000 gvw would be sufficient most of the time

Az Gardener
12-06-2007, 11:17 AM
The Mitsubishi has a much better warranty but they don't offer gas I have been shopping them and I went with a UD (Nissan) I will warn you about a couple of things.

The new ones will give you a better finance rate so a used one has to be a really good deal.

I was going to buy a new 07 Mitsu crew cab with a 14' dump bed 48-K lease payments 775 per month with a 20% residual buy back at the end of the 60 mo lease. Well they drug their feet getting back to me after I said its a go.

In the mean time I saw a 06 UD single cab with 14'dump with 3-K miles for 29-K they did the same lease thing but because it was used they still wanted 775 per month plus a 10% residual. I told them no way and they came back with a 700 payment. I still told them no way they said that was the best they could do on a used vehicle.

So now I am shopping financing but because of the higher GVW it is a commercial vehicle and you don't get the typical 6.5-8% rate you would get on say a one ton p/u. The rate will be 8-9.5 % if they do the deal. The truck dealership is saying I wont be able to get it done but the loan officer at the credit union says he can. The dealership says the loan officer must be a new guy and when he kicks it upstairs for approval they will decline it. I will let you know how it goes but this has been a real pain in the a$$. :walking::cool2:

SpruceLandscape
12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info.
I found a 2007 gas 12500 gvw Isuzu with an 11ft. dump body for 29k brand new. But thats also the starting price. They are willing to lease it for $489/ month , no money down for 48 mo. but I'm not sure about the residual at the end. Same place has a 2003 with about 25k miles on it they just got back in off of lease that they will sell for 18-19k with a 11 foot landscape dump on it. But its a really ugly shade of blue and I would REALLY like to stick with white trucks.

gene gls
12-06-2007, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't touch a cab over with gas......any brand.

L&L
12-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I picked up a new NPR in march. GMAC had really good interest rates at the time. I got 5.9% For 48 months. I don't know what the rates are right now. Mine is a gas and I have not regretted it one day.

Az Gardener
12-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Our local Chevy dealership that has the Isuzu's has had a 3.9 rate advertised most of the summer. I just saw a 0% banner up today as I drove by.

My financing came through today on the UD, better than I thought at 7% payments will be 634 per month on a purchase. In AZ we pay 8.2% sales tax and licensing is 800 for this year on the vehicle so that really runs up the costs. Over 3-K to the sale price not including doc fees.

I didn't look too long at the Isuzu's here because they have no resale value and every used one I have ever looked at over the years was junk. But if you are using the disposable truck model it might be right for you.

TXNSLighting
12-07-2007, 01:19 PM
LCF twin turbos!

SpruceLandscape
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I briefly checked out the LCF with the twin turbo V6. It has lots of power... But even the salesman at the dealership said that he would much rather sell me the Isuzu or a Hino before an LCF because of the major service issues that mechanics there have been having with them. Granted they have so far been covered under warranty, but the other trucks haven't had any issues.

BrandonV
12-15-2007, 04:12 PM
what are these issues with the lcf? just got heads up that I'll be able to add a truck to the fleet and was planning on going w/ the lcf and a switch n go system (maintenance body and mulch body) we have a mitishibushi, and love it but the power would need to be better to haul all the mulch we want and we've had a crazy amount of recalls (which i do appreciate a recall over a broken truck) but getting it worked on is a bit of a hassle

SpruceLandscape
12-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't know for sure what the issues with the LCF are, just stating what the salesman at the truck center told me.

Gravel Rat
12-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Look at the Sterling its probably not a top quality cab on the truck but it will have decent running gear under it. Hino stopped making or selling cabovers to the North American Market for some reason.

The Sterling 360 has gvws up to 18,000lbs with 175hp engine Aisin 6spd.

The motor says a 4.9 litre it doesn't say what brand thou.

BrandonV
12-15-2007, 05:23 PM
the sterling is a rebadged mitishibushi

hosejockey2002
12-16-2007, 03:44 PM
If you are considering the LCF on the basis of power alone, keep in mind that the Isuzu has nearly identical power specs as well as more cubic inches.

BrandonV
12-16-2007, 04:13 PM
not worried too much about power, anyone own an lcf? i'm open, we get a "fleet discount" w/ ford, but I am very open to suggestions. also I read that all ford dealers can work on the lcf? which would be good for me.

Gravel Rat
12-16-2007, 05:37 PM
What about its twin made by International the CF500 has anybody seen any of them ?

My worry about the the Ford and the International is the V6 motor its really not proven like the inline 4 and 6 engines like the other manufactures use.

I would consider a Ford LCF because of the better dealer support. The GM dealer won't work on medium duty trucks which anything larger than a 3500 is in their mind. The Isuzu dealer is way to far away.

Rick.ULS
12-20-2007, 12:02 AM
I bought a new LCF with an 8 x 18 ft. landscaper body several months ago, and so far, I'm liking it alot. I had an Isuzu NPR with the same size landscaper body before. It was ok for my mowers, etc, but when I put my Kubota tractor + implements on there, the weight punished the Isuzu. With the LCF, I find myself checking to make sure the tractor is still back there, because the LCF is very strong on pulling power, plus it has the tow / haul feature. The LCF is a torque monster :weightlifter: but, I'm getting 11.5 mpg around town (stop and go driving) Don't know the highway mpg, I don't drive on the highway much. When I do, I set the cruise control, and let it do the work. It usually costs between $ 80.00 - $ 90.00 to fill the tank with diesel (45 gallon tank I think) The LCF is a very good truck so far. Hey, while I'm thinking, Merry Christmas an Happy New Year to all of you out there !

BrandonV
12-20-2007, 08:01 AM
thanks for the review

SpruceLandscape
02-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Bump to the top... Anyone else have or know anyone who isn't/is having issues with their LCF?? I had a chance to check out the mitsu dealer near me and test drive a FE145. Seemed like a great truck with the 12' dump body, plenty of acceleration, but seems kinda pricey. Was looking at 37k before taxes on a left over 2007. I think this is mostly due to it being a diesel and myself looking at the gas isuzu's a while back and being used to those prices. Anyways, I was still curious about these LCFs if anyone else has one. Thanks

lawn king
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
5 seasons on my npr diesel, 1 wiring repair, 1 pressure switch. hauling my kubota to plowing snow its been a great truck. There is a reason isuzu has been #1 in cabover sales for so long.

BrandonV
02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
have an LCF on the way w/ a switch n go body, i'll post pics when we get it.

gene gls
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Look at the Sterling its probably not a top quality cab on the truck but it will have decent running gear under it. Hino stopped making or selling cabovers to the North American Market for some reason.

The Sterling 360 has gvws up to 18,000lbs with 175hp engine Aisin 6spd.

The motor says a 4.9 litre it doesn't say what brand thou.

The Sterling 360 is a Mitsubishi.

scott's turf
02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
It has been a great truck but I am getting out of the business.

scott's turf
02-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Nice truck inside and out.

[URL="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=213947"]