PDA

View Full Version : Which is better Gravely of Hustler?

Big C
12-06-2007, 01:23 AM
I am shopping for a ztr to do 1 acre or less subdivision lots (10-20 accts)....I think I have it narrowed down to either Gravely or Hustler.....please share with me your experiences or knowledge of these brands.

lifetree
12-06-2007, 05:29 AM
They are both good brand names !!

Grits
12-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Hustler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be nice to be shopping for a ZTR and having only 10-20 accounts. Think about getting a WB. Lots cheaper than a Z.

mowing grass 1111
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Hustler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be nice to be shopping for a ZTR and having only 10-20 accounts. Think about getting a WB. Lots cheaper than a Z.

i don't see the problem with a ztr . hell when i started years ago i had 2 accounts and bought a new ztr ...... best decision i ever made........btw both are good mowers

Grits
12-06-2007, 09:58 AM
If a person only has 10-20 accounts, it is ******ed to get a 7 to 10 thousand dollar ZTR. It can not be justified, unless you are just mowing for a hobby and looking for an excuse to buy a Z. If this is the case go ahead and get that Z, I'll buy it off you in a year when you are done with this phase that you are going through. Sheesh, some of you lawnboys are plain silly!

DavisLawn
12-06-2007, 10:05 AM
never had a hustler..... i do have a Gravely 252z and LOVE IT..... i also have an exmark, walker, and a country clipper.... and the Gravely is BY FAR the best ride of the bunch.... and the fastest... it will really run. Also i've had it 3 years and the only thing thats went wrong was a clutch right after i bought it... warranty fixed it and been great ever since.... when i buy a new one.... it will be another Gravely.

mowing grass 1111
12-06-2007, 10:11 AM
like i said it very worked well for me .i had 2 accounts when i bought my ztr both small commercial jobs about 5 acres and the other 4 acres and i picked up work during the summer. the next summer i landed a 19 acre account.. . dont get all pissing because someone has done somthing different from you................btw i am to lazy for a wb and will never own one lol

J&R Landscaping
12-06-2007, 10:28 AM
^^^For the size properties you were maintaining, a ZTR makes sense! The Original poster stated he will be working on lots 1 acre or less. You can cut an acre with a 48" wb pretty quick. Yes a ZTR will get done faster but for only 20 accounts, I cant see you getting done fast enough to where its gonna save you $4-6 thousand which is the difference.

Hustler and Gravley are both good brands. Dealer support is also a key factor so visit you local dealers for these brands and see which dealer you feel is better. Maybe try for a used ZTR as well.

Budget
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Bigc,
How many accounts do you have or are just taking a stab at what you might get? Do you have 10 accounts right now if so how big are they? You can sell them on fall clean ups and what not to help off set the cost of the mower. I made allot of money this year in clean ups. My first year out i purchased a Z with only 12 lawns on the books. That ended up at 18 by the end of the season with all but two for fall clean ups. I do this part time so i needed the speed of Z to keep up.

For the machine purchase they are both fine units you should consider who will give you the best service. It is worth a few bucks for a good dealer close to you.

good luck....:waving:

lifetree
12-06-2007, 07:38 PM
They are both good brand names !!

Most of the posts so far seem to be saying that they are both good machines, therefore, it does depend on the service you will get after the purchase ... so like the others have said as well, be sure to investigate your local dealers !!

cks dad
12-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I bought a grvely 152z xdz this past summer and love it.Plus i got great dealer support also.

Big C
12-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Why are people so big on wb's? My main reasons for not wantin one is the standing on a velke when I could be sitting, yeah it may be cheaper but does it make sense to buy something you really don't want just to save money. Is 3k to 4k too much to spend on a(heavy duty residential mower(i.e fasttrack)If you have the $$$? and don't need to take out a loan to do so, plus I already have everything I need to get started(trailer, edger, trimmer & truck). I am not looking to buy a $7k mower starting out. People seemed to be hooked on trying to cut corners during the startup phase of a business, yes I do understand it is important to not get over your head in expenses but at the same time you have to spend money to make money. I will be funding my business startup with money saved for other business ventures. I think the fastrack will do me fine....do you guys agree or am I off base?????

Big C
12-07-2007, 01:51 AM
If a person only has 10-20 accounts, it is ******ed to get a 7 to 10 thousand dollar ZTR. It can not be justified, unless you are just mowing for a hobby and looking for an excuse to buy a Z. If this is the case go ahead and get that Z, I'll buy it off you in a year when you are done with this phase that you are going through. Sheesh, some of you lawnboys are plain silly!
To GRITS,
Oh! I guess you started your business knowing everything there was to know about it. I am posting questions in order to learn...that's all... not to be called SILLY or ******ED. If you cannot provide helpful info.....keep your comment to yourself!!!

mowing grass 1111
12-07-2007, 02:02 AM
go ahead and get the ztr if you can afford it .............whats really ******ed is buying a piece of equipment that you will out grow in a year . myself i would never own a wb i have no use for them

DavisLawn
12-07-2007, 09:33 AM
go ahead and get the ztr if you can afford it .............whats really ******ed is buying a piece of equipment that you will out grow in a year . myself i would never own a wb i have no use for them

i agree... if you plan on getting bigger and can afford it ... buy the ztr.... i hate walk behinds too... miserable.... i'd quit if i had to ride those backbreakers all day every day.

grasskicker71
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Try mowing with both.I like the hustler.Don't know which size your looking at though.Sounds like you might want to go with the 52" or 54" model for the size of yards you might mow.I have the 60" and very rarely run into a yard I can't cut.It all depends on your target area for mowing.Hustler does handle better....My opinion is if you only cut one yard for money,and use the mower for your yard too. Then someone else is paying for your mower.

Nate@TLCS
12-08-2007, 12:13 PM
whatever you buy, try to get diesel. I can mow flat out for 16 hours on a gravely 260 Z diesel....but you'll pay for it $12k + -. I don't think Hustler makes a diesel, but if they did... I'd buy one..... and have one of each.... for no particular reason. lol

Mike Blevins
12-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I disagree with this. I only service a little over 20 accounts myself and I am going to buy a new 61 Scag and a new walk-behind. I want these mowers and i am going to get them. Oh yeah one of the accounts pays $1700.00 a month. Bottom line is if you want something go and get it. If you dont want it dont get it.:dizzy:

Grits
12-08-2007, 10:19 PM
To GRITS,
Oh! I guess you started your business knowing everything there was to know about it. I am posting questions in order to learn...that's all... not to be called SILLY or ******ED. If you cannot provide helpful info.....keep your comment to yourself!!!

As a matter of fact, I did.

mowing grass 1111
12-08-2007, 10:35 PM
As a matter of fact, I did.

oh really..........http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=165922

Grits
12-09-2007, 01:05 AM
oh really..........http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=165922

It was a joke.:hammerhead: