PDA

View Full Version : i need a trailer for moving furniture????!!!

steampro
12-06-2007, 03:54 PM
hello, i have a delivery service that i run with my brother using a 3500 1 ton cargo van, now i dont have room for big screen tvs ,sofas,refridgerators, etc, what should my next purchase be? i dont really want to buy a huge box truck, i was thinking some type of open trailer, but im worried about refridgerators tipping over etc......:hammerhead:

Guzman Properties
12-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Get an enclosed one, what if it rains?

steampro
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
yea i was thinking about an enclosed but they dont appear to be tall enough for something like a refridgerator....as for the rain, it doesnt rain here in south texas to often, but maybe i should just continue using my cargo van until i can buy a big box truck???

TXNSLighting
12-06-2007, 05:56 PM
mine is almost 7 foot on the inside...thats plenty for a fridge...

Andyinchville
12-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Enclosed trailers are available with different interior heights...check with some of the major manufacturers for additional info.....I've been looking into them for storage and for taking stuff to flea markets.
Andrew

Lawnworks
12-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Why not get a big box truck? My buddy just bought an FRR w/ a 20 something foot box. Gets 12mpg too.

Andyinchville
12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Box trucks require insurance (costly) and maintenance associated with a vehicle....Trailer can, for the most part sit forever, and not have maintenance issues.....unless it sits so long the tires dry rot etc.... but that can happen to a truck too....also, trailer has a lot less to go wrong since gas doesn't get old etc...Cheapest solution would probably be a good used trailer BUT lots of times for just a little bit more one can get a new trailer for what some people want for a used one....I admit tho that years ago I had an old Dodge Cube truck and put antique tags on it.....that helped with insurance rates but it was still about $300 a year and I had to drive it every once in awhile to get new gas into it which wasn't hard since it got all of 7 MPG's....AARG.....I did end up selling it and I am still looking for a reasonably priced enclosed trailer myself.
Andrew

BrandonV
12-15-2007, 04:07 PM
if you're moving stuff professionally you'd be crazy to get a trailer, you just about have to have a box truck especially if you want up to people's houses. there area too many crazy drives out there.

Gravel Rat
12-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Build your own trailer but make sure its a gooseneck so you can get a reasonable amount of weight in it and still be legal. A 20 foot truck van body mounted on a tandem or triaxle gooseneck trailer.

Ya moving vans are expensive and most of them you do find used are well worn out. A standard 5 ton van something like a FL-70 FL-80 Freighliner sit so high you need a power tailgate.

The big thing in atleast my area is used shipping containers for storage nobody seems to throw anything away they put it into storage.

I don't know if it is that way in your area or not but if you had 20 foot shipping cans your able to roll them off into a persons yard load them up onto the trailer deliver them to where ever. Home owner empties them out you go pick up the can. You let the homeowner load up the container charge them a rental for the shipping can a delivery charge etc.

Here a crane truck is used to deliver shipping containers because a truck and trailer can't get into the goat trails people call driveways. Quite a few places are so bad that moving companies bring a 1 ton moving van to bring the stuff down the driveway to the house while the 5 ton truck(s) sit on the road. Some places even with a concrete driveway a 1 ton van can't climb them something like a E-450 Ford with a 16 foot box on it.

My neighbours place the movers ask me if I would move the furniture up from the house to the street/road. I said why don't to use your 1 ton cube van they said they are worried about the driveway being too steep and running out of brakes. I told them I'am not going down the driveway either I already done some work for previous owners and I had a decent scare going down with a loaded F-450. The concrete has to be absolutely dry to even climb back up. If its wet you burn half your tires off and don't let your foot out of it untill you get to the top. The driveway next to it is even steeper its a 4x4 road even thou its concrete I backed down part of it. Pull ahead in first gear you sit in one spot and spin :laugh:

Good Luck