PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas of what to do?

the.hines
12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I thought I would show a couple of pictures and ask everyone what they would do for Landscaping on this house? What do you think should go into that open spot?

Thanks

shawn

Grits
12-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I thought I would show a couple of pictures and ask everyone what they would do for Landscaping on this house? What do you think should go into that open spot?

Thanks

shawn

LOL.....the whole thing is an open spot! You are lucky that you get a bare canvas. Do whatever you think looks good.

the.hines
12-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah we are going to build a privacy fence all the way around. That is about as far as we have gotten...

ARGOS
12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
I always incorporate a landscape designer or landscape architect. I am comfortable with design, but am alway impressed with the designer/architect's insight and efficiency. I have found the design investment always saves time, money, water, and maintenance.

The designer and I share referrals. She designs for contractors and on occasion I get the landscape maintenance contract.

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
whats the budget?

the.hines
12-13-2007, 11:33 AM
not enough to hire a designer? I am looking around $400-$600.

GreenNation
12-13-2007, 01:14 PM
We could not even begin to landscape this home for 400-600. It would be more than that just to cut new mulch beds, and go around the home with the cheapest grade mulch we could find. Sorry.

Runner
12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
What direction are we looking when we are facing the house?

the.hines
12-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I am looking straight at the house from the front street in the photos.

Damn people I am not trying to hire you for the job I am just asking your ideas on what you would do with this one????

RAlmaroad
12-14-2007, 07:21 AM
OK, OK, OK: Here goes: 1.You're going to have to work with the power meter--can't do anything about it. Put in a trelis about 3 feet from the house--so meter guy can access the meter. Make trelis about 6'-8' high. Use some thick roses/vines. Next you need to have foundation plants. Remove soil about 3' from house and fill with mulch and pigmy barberrys (reddish ) every 3' on center from the left side (large picture window) to the front steps. Put in some nice borders, annuals between barberry. Finally the chimney needs to be softened with a tall plant such as a #2 Foster Holly (Slow Growing to about 15'). This will get you started.
I'm down here in TN just east of Knoxville in Kingsport. I'm a designer garden person and will help you. Keep in mind that plants need to be suited to your climate. You'll be able to get some good stuff now from Lowe's. I prefer Nursery Stock as they stand behind their plants for a year. Make sure that your foundation plantings are in a good mix of soil; 1/3 topsoil, 1/3 humas, 1/3 spagnum peat moss.. You should be able to get the plants and do all of the work yourself within your budget. Good Luck, Roy

Runner
12-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I am looking straight at the house from the front street in the photos.

Damn people I am not trying to hire you for the job I am just asking your ideas on what you would do with this one????

LOL! I was asking to know what DIRECTION it is...N,S,E,W......:rolleyes:

the.hines
12-15-2007, 11:26 PM
LOL Hey sorry Joe you would be facing the south.

getthenet
12-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Sorry To Interupt, But I Am Trying To Upload An Image And It Want Let Me. Can Someone Tell Me How. I Have Already Loaded 2 But It Want Let Me Load #3.

PerfectEarth
12-15-2007, 11:36 PM
This is pretty funny. I'd be so far over 600$ on bed prep alone that you'd never even get me to the nursery.

You will make ZERO money with that budget, unless you place crap one gallon material in a boring row, all lined up at the base of the house, with no bed/soil prep. I would not even consider for a second landscaping this house for that budget. It's not possible or worth it even if you did.

ARGOS
12-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Thats exactly what I was thinking.

the.hines
12-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Wow that is a great way to think about, but I am not making money on this, it is my house that I just bought. I need to fill in that gap.

PearsonExteriors
12-21-2007, 02:41 AM
hey I see you are looking for free advise so I spent about 1 minute making you a plan in MS paint. http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/benjaminpearson/Country/untitled.jpg

I don't think $600 is possible. I probably wouldn't even do the mulch/bed prep for that.

Put a nice Japanese maple on the right corner.
But boxwoods or some other evergreen shrub under the windows
Along the side by the fireplace but some hydrangea. I sort of envision 5 endless summer hydrangea along the side, and a big daddy hydrangea in the hole in the back. Behind that put a trellis 3 ft. from the electrical, and put a climbing hydrangea on that. Put some annuals in the spots that are pink, maybe clematis on the posts on the porch. Mulch around the trees in the front if you really want to make it look good, and put annuals there.

So you are looking at about
13 boxwoods
5 endless summer hydrangea
1 big daddy hydrangea
1 Japanese Maple
1 climbing hydrangea
2 clematis
3-5 flats of annuals (wave petunias are good)
Approx cost of plants retail:1000-1500
Probably looking at 5+ yards of mulch.

PearsonExteriors
12-21-2007, 02:45 AM
Please don't ever use that red mulch. Hopefully it wasn't you that put that down.

the.hines
01-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Well Thank you for the display, that is some great ideas. It doesn't have to be under 600 but this is going to be on my house that we just bought...Funny how a new house kind of drains the money from you....

No that was not me with that red mulch...that stuff looks bad doesn't it????

Thanks again

LawnGuy73
01-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Limestone rock around the house, with black edging. Then plant a dogwoods, burning bushes, maybe a couple of arbs. the sky is the limit.