PDA

View Full Version : Best channel light or rope lighting.

Lite4
12-06-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a project coming up that is going to need to utilize recessed rope or channel lighting. I am looking for input on the best brands out there for price, longevity and ease of installation. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 09:37 PM
I will get you info to a company in the morning Tim

Lite4
12-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks Joey.

Chris J
12-06-2007, 10:06 PM
To add to this request, can someone please provide info how how to install/recess a rope light into existing concrete steps? I also have a proposal to work up, and the homeowner is inquiring about rope lights to go under the lip of his very long set of steps (40') I haven't done this before, and I don't know the best way to attach the rope under the lip. The steps are not built yet, however, so is there a way to have the concrete pre-formed to accept the rope light?
Any info would be appreciated.

pete scalia
12-06-2007, 10:20 PM
To add to this request, can someone please provide info how how to install/recess a rope light into existing concrete steps? I also have a proposal to work up, and the homeowner is inquiring about rope lights to go under the lip of his very long set of steps (40') I haven't done this before, and I don't know the best way to attach the rope under the lip. The steps are not built yet, however, so is there a way to have the concrete pre-formed to accept the rope light?
Any info would be appreciated.

Try and talk them out of it if you can. It looks very commercial. If you must they have tracks that must be installed in the riser before the pour. You then come in and snap the strip light into place and make your connection. You may want to consider 120V or double feeding both ends if 12v. 40' distances will create voltage drop issues with 12V. Unless they are doing LED's. Who luvs you more than me huh Chris?

Lite4
12-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Mine are going on an entryway wall to a subdivision and the cap will have to be routered with a diamond bit.

Chris J
12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks Pete. I like you much better when you are cooperative.
Nighty Night everybody. I'm beat.

JoeyD
12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Just remember guys, rope lights have their problems. When a few lights go out the whole strip is bad for one. Second is when you first get them the tube is nice and clear allowing the lights to look fairly white and nice. After a few months the tubing begins to yellow making the light output look orange. They work great for trees and places where they will be fairly easy to replace.
As for the moutning I believe you have to use a track system or circle clamps.

Lite4
12-06-2007, 11:30 PM
Hmmm. That is a good point Joey, do the LEDs have as many problems. The bulbs should last longer without so much discoloration shouldn't they. I may have to rethink this.

pete scalia
12-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Just remember guys, rope lights have their problems. When a few lights go out the whole strip is bad for one. Second is when you first get them the tube is nice and clear allowing the lights to look fairly white and nice. After a few months the tubing begins to yellow making the light output look orange. They work great for trees and places where they will be fairly easy to replace.
As for the moutning I believe you have to use a track system or circle clamps.

excellent points to consider Joey.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-07-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm with Joey and Pete on this one. I wouldnt go there unless you want a very commercial, linear, non-organic look.

Pro-Scapes
12-07-2007, 09:04 AM
I too have a project coming up with the client requesting them. I can moonlight the steps easy but they want a more defined look. I will be giving the masons who will build the steps a track and then run a small flex conduit up into there. We are going with LED but they will be on a seperate power supply and able to be switched off.

Have you considered fiber ?

Lite4
12-07-2007, 10:26 AM
James, It is a commercial structure.

JoeyD
12-07-2007, 11:03 AM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/scan12.jpg

Here you go.They are ok.

pete scalia
12-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Those strip lights are hideous. Those Burned out bulbs look like missing teeth

JoeyD
12-07-2007, 11:11 AM
LOL.........Exactly

TXNSLighting
12-07-2007, 01:07 PM
very bad looking...

ccfree
12-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I have a project coming up that is going to need to utilize recessed rope or channel lighting. I am looking for input on the best brands out there for price, longevity and ease of installation. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Hey Tim, look into Illumin FX. They have both halogen and LED rope lighting.

Lite4
12-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Maybe I wasn't very clear on what I am looking for. Where I am going to place these lights you won't see any bulbs at all. All I am looking for is the glow from the strips to glow across a light stucco finish behind a sign. I will try to post of picture of the entry a little later.

EOL
12-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Try www.platinumlightinginc.com . They have everything you need if you want to use rope lights. They have LED's different colors, lengths, 12volt, 110v, you name it they got it when it comes to rope lights.

Chris J
12-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Efrain,
Thank you for the link.

NightScenes
12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks Efrain, I was about to place that link. Here is an example of rope lighting used for a sign.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=173983

klkanders
12-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Paul, Do you happen to know how that sign turned out for stitches back in March?
Did you get any pics of the finished project? Thanks!

NightScenes
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
It came out alright I think. I haven't heard from him in a long time.