PDA

View Full Version : Utility Body Folks

tthomass
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I am thinking about customizing my '02 Chevy 2500HD. Its extended cab + 8' bed. I'm thinking about removing the bed and having a custom body built out of aluminum to my specs. Hold a blower, saw, shovels, tarps and other tools. Aluminum to save weight and also the clean look.

Anybody have something other then the norm?

gammon landscaping
12-06-2007, 11:41 PM
this might not pertain to your situation but, we have two dump trucks almost exactly the same one with aluminum one steel bed they weigh with in 500lbs of each other, might want to check on the wight diff before forking out all that cabbage for the shiny one

P.Services
12-06-2007, 11:47 PM
i like the ones that look like a normal pickup box but have cabinets and shelves built into the sides with the doors that just look like a body panel.

tthomass
12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
i like the ones that look like a normal pickup box but have cabinets and shelves built into the sides with the doors that just look like a body panel.

Yeah I've seen those.......one of those ideas that is making someone a lot of money on such a stupid simple concept.

I don't mind using the aluminum. I've got a dump truck with aluminum and steel construction. Aluminum isn't going to rust and looks nice.....especially with polished stainless doors. I could go steel with polished stainless though. I'm still drawing a design......I want to retain as much bed space as possible and make the truck as transformable/useful as possible.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-07-2007, 10:17 AM
salt+aluminum= fast oxidation

especially during when the roads are wet and plaster your bed, that mixture will start corroding and pitting.

tnmtn
12-07-2007, 10:35 AM
this might be an option for you. http://www.truckcraft.com/productDetail.asp?id=5&cID=
looks nice and i believe comes in aluminum also.
good luck,

tthomass
12-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Aluminum will be just fine. Doors would be polished stainless. I'm not trying to keep the aluminum looking polished.......just the stainless.