PDA

View Full Version : crew Structure?

American_Lawn
12-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Is 130 cuts a week, mow, trim, and blow only, possible with me and two other guys? I figured me on the z, one trims front/edges and blows, and the other trims back? How do you guys structure your crews?

Grass Happens
12-07-2007, 12:34 AM
depends, are all 130 in the same neighborhood with small lots? We need to know how much drive time, how large the lots are and what kind of supply of lawnscaper clones you have.

Grass Happens
12-07-2007, 12:35 AM
if you mow 6 days a week thats still a little under 22 cuts a day.

American_Lawn
12-07-2007, 12:38 AM
These are small city lots and when I had 1 helper this last year, I mowed 3 and hr and only 2 and hr by myself. My only worry is rain because I have to mow these each week due to contract guidelines. I am covering a whole county so my route will be tight for the day.

American_Lawn
12-07-2007, 12:41 AM
how many guys do you have with you?

Grass Happens
12-07-2007, 01:01 AM
for my own business, none. when i was a foremen we had 3 or 4 depending, but the boss was a moron, and apparently owned stock in Exxon because our "routes" were so wide spread, it wasn't even funny. Tuesdays we did 4 accounts (about an hour a pop) and spent the rest of the time driving. Why? I have no idea...Hence why i went in business myself. Oh that, and his checks had a tendency not to be accepted anywhere due to there high rubber content.
How big is your county? well an an 8 hour day with 3, your still looking at 24 accounts with no drive time, smoke breaks, lunch, and or other. I'd say your setting yourself up to fail, bottom line wise, you may want to cut out some of those accounts, or else from OT and Insurance and turnover, your going to eat away at all your hard work.

American_Lawn
12-07-2007, 01:12 AM
I usually start around 8 and finish at 4 at the latest. If I do have to drive, I usually make that the first stop so I can drive in the morning while it is dark and start when I get there. I am thinking about bumping up to about 100 and then if I can do more than I will. I did 75 a week myself and managed ok. I guess I will also only hire 1 guy to help me. From what I am reading, it is hard to find good reliable help and I dont want to take too much and end up losing my whole contract. Thanks for the help

Grass Happens
12-07-2007, 01:16 AM
No problem, help is and always will be your biggest problem. thats why I'm still solo, I have a family freind who is very PT and is verrrry good at what he does, but he gets paid alot more elsewhere then i can pay him, even though he is worth it.

KS_Grasscutter
12-07-2007, 01:26 AM
You and one other guy should easily be able to do 130. You mow and blow, your guy edges and trims. Whoever gets done first fuels stuff up, puts in trimmer line, changes the blade on the edger, etc. while waiting for the other to finish if there is much difference. Around here, you could do about 4 an hour like that.