PDA

View Full Version : 2008 super duty problems

supercuts
12-07-2007, 06:33 AM
hello everyone, my 08 f350has 900 miles on it now. i love the truck so far but it seems that the steering has a slight pull to the left. i took it in for an allignment and they said it should hve been pulling to the right. after, it still seems to have a slight pull to the left. not much at all but almost as if you need to keep presure against the wheel. anyone esle with one feel this?

SiteSolutions
12-07-2007, 09:06 AM
I assume you have checked tire inflation.
Might be worth it to take it to someone you trust outside the dealership, just to make sure. My tire man would probably let me check my alignment on his new super-dooper laser pimp daddy alignment rig if I asked him nice.
I hope the '08s are good trucks; I will probably be in the market for an '08 in 4 or 5 years.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-07-2007, 09:10 AM
is it while coasting or applying the brakes?

TXNSLighting
12-07-2007, 12:15 PM
have not heard that one yet...could be a suspension issue. yeh take to a diff dealer or a trusted tire shop.

supercuts
12-08-2007, 09:20 AM
its while driving down the highway. i dont notice it much around town. like i said, its very mild. its not like a take my hand off the wheel and it immediately drives off the road, but its a brand new $45k truck and i would expect it to be perfect.

its while costing/driving, not while braking

Mowbizz
12-08-2007, 01:33 PM
All highways are "crowned" to allow water to drain off...my 04 F250 does the same thing and tires and alignment are perfect...try switching lanes to see if it drifts in the opposite direction...mine does. In other words in the "slow lane" it should drift slightly to the RIGHT...In the fast or "passing lane" it should drift to the LEFT. I know exactly what you are talking about because I have to keep pressure on the steering wheel too.

lifetree
12-08-2007, 03:40 PM
... yeh take to a diff dealer or a trusted tire shop.

if you take it to any thing other than a dealer, don't you risk voiding the warranty because it would have been repaired by someone other than a dealer ??

supercuts
12-08-2007, 04:17 PM
All highways are "crowned" to allow water to drain off...my 04 F250 does the same thing and tires and alignment are perfect...try switching lanes to see if it drifts in the opposite direction...mine does. In other words in the "slow lane" it should drift slightly to the RIGHT...In the fast or "passing lane" it should drift to the LEFT. I know exactly what you are talking about because I have to keep pressure on the steering wheel too.

i completely agree, it does it on both sides. worse when im in the left lane but it always pulls left and in both lanes. i thought perhaps, at times, the entire highway is crowned to one side because it always strays to the left. ill take it back in as soon as im done working in the next week or so

xcopterdoc
12-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Swap the front tires, left to right. If the problem follows, you have a bad tire, if it stays the same, you have an alignment issue. If it's an alignment issue, try the dealer again first. If no luck, find a shop that does nothing but alignments. A good front end guy knows how to set the camber for the crown of the roads. These new alignment machines are made for dummies. They have a red and green area, go or no go... as along as its green they say its alright. BS!

Gravel Rat
12-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Keep in mind any new truck comes with the cheapest tires they can get it sounds like you got a bad tire. As xcopterdoc said try swap side to side if it pulls to the other side then you got bad tires.

Have you hit any bumps really hard ?

SiteSolutions
12-09-2007, 09:05 AM
If you have many miles on them at all, don't leave those front tires swapped. Maybe I'm over reacting, but radials aren't supposed to be run "backward"; that is, once they have been run rolling one direction, you don't swap sides with them and run them the other direction. That's why on newer vehicles with radials, you rotate your tires on the same side of the vehicle. On older (like 20+ years ago) vehicles with bias ply tires, they were rotated side to side and front to back.

Hope I'm not just stating something obvious.:)

I would check with the dealer to make sure, or better yet, have them do the test. Then it is their problem if something goes wrong.

supercuts
12-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Keep in mind any new truck comes with the cheapest tires they can get it sounds like you got a bad tire. As xcopterdoc said try swap side to side if it pulls to the other side then you got bad tires.

Have you hit any bumps really hard ?

no, havent hit anything, did it on the way home from picking it up, 20 miles on it. im at 1100 now and it still does it. i cant see how a bad tire would cause it to pull

Gravel Rat
12-09-2007, 10:21 PM
As the tire heats up it starts to bulge in the tread which distorts the tread which makes it track funny. Take the truck to a tire shop ask them to remove the tire and have a look inside to see if its getting belt separating or broken belts.

I fought with simillar problems with older trucks with tire problems.

supercuts
12-10-2007, 07:50 AM
ive had broken belts before, this thing is smooth as can be on the highway at 90mph. not that but thanks for the suggestion

TXNSLighting
12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
yeh my next thought was tires. there are defective tires out there. but yeh just take it to ford, grab their front end tech, and show them exactly what its doin

sgrprincees
12-10-2007, 12:50 PM
If you have many miles on them at all, don't leave those front tires swapped. Maybe I'm over reacting, but radials aren't supposed to be run "backward"; that is, once they have been run rolling one direction, you don't swap sides with them and run them the other direction. That's why on newer vehicles with radials, you rotate your tires on the same side of the vehicle. On older (like 20+ years ago) vehicles with bias ply tires, they were rotated side to side and front to back.

Hope I'm not just stating something obvious.:)

I would check with the dealer to make sure, or better yet, have them do the test. Then it is their problem if something goes wrong.

You're right on directional tires, but I haven't read anything that would indicate that radial tires can't be rotated from side to side. Michelin has a little illustration that shows tires being swapped from side to side here http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/. Goodyear recommends swapping them side to side when you rotate them at this link http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Rotation.html.

Neither of these links makes a note that you can't swap radial ply tires from side to side, so either they made a big oversight, or at least two tire manufacturers aren't worried about it.

SiteSolutions
12-10-2007, 01:31 PM
You're right on directional tires, but I haven't read anything that would indicate that radial tires can't be rotated from side to side. Michelin has a little illustration that shows tires being swapped from side to side here http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/. Goodyear recommends swapping them side to side when you rotate them at this link http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Rotation.html.

Neither of these links makes a note that you can't swap radial ply tires from side to side, so either they made a big oversight, or at least two tire manufacturers aren't worried about it.

I looked this up a bit more and maybe newer radials it doesn't make such a difference? Hard to break old habits tho...:rolleyes:

Gravel Rat
12-10-2007, 01:40 PM
No you can swap steer tires side to side. If you have pulled heavy loads or carried heavy loads you may not want to put the drive tires on the steer axle.

I have had problems where I bent the steering stabilizer and with the slight bend in the shaft it hinders the steering a little bit.

NBI Lawn
12-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I had the same issue with my 06' Dodge CTD. After 5 trips to the dealer they just said "its the crown in the road and thats just how it is". I had a hard time accepting that, after all like yours these are $40,000+ trucks.
Took it to another dealer and they fixed it no problem.

More than likely they are having the same person look at it and he/she couldnt find the problem the first time they probably are not going to find it ever. Time for a fresh set of eyes looking at it. If that doesnt work just remember its a Ford and thats probably just the way it is :laugh:. Good luck but I think it will get worked out.

Oldtimer
12-11-2007, 06:30 PM

It's not unusual to see F250 SD diesels with >80k on the original tires. The Continentals that came on my '05 F250 Diesel King Ranch were a different story. They were history @ 36K.

Oldtimer

Gravel Rat
12-12-2007, 02:31 AM
If you had the Firestone Steeltex series tires they wore like iron they are so hard. They are also very very slippery in the rain a horrible tire.

Most guys that bought new trucks with the 17 inch wheels or what ever size they are is take the factory tires off and install BFG AT which is the only real tire option in that size.

General/Continental tires are cheap your better off buying a better tire.

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 09:48 AM
for i think two years ford was using perely tires, (i dont think thats how you spell it ha!) they were great. most years used the bfg, and then they dropped em for some reason.

Oldtimer
12-12-2007, 10:57 AM
In '05 there was no wheel option on the F250 King Ranch. They all came with 18" wheels and it was quite difficult to find 18" E tires. A lot of people ran Nittos but they were really loud on the highway. I waited for the BF Goodrich A/T tires to be available and they are excellent.

Oldtimer

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 12:36 PM
yeh and those are the ugliest wheels ever!! glad they came out with the 20's!

NBI Lawn
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
It's not unusual to see F250 SD diesels with >80k on the original tires. The Continentals that came on my '05 F250 Diesel King Ranch were a different story. They were history @ 36K.

Oldtimer

Mine only lasted 24,000 on an 05' F350. Truck was used for plowing which helped the wear.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-12-2007, 03:38 PM
we had a set of those firestone steeltex tires as oem on our 02' 2500hd and the rears were gone in like 20k miles. now we have the bfg at's for winter and mudding and a set of bridgestone vsteels for summer and towing/hauling.