PDA

View Full Version : Sweepers?

meets1
12-07-2007, 02:05 PM
I was approached this morning by another company that is in the excavation biz and snow removal and he sands.

I do alot of snow removal, 80& residentail and 20% commercial but I send all my sanding his way.

I am in the lawn care/landscape biz and also parking lot striping.

He rents a sweeper for his skid and I do the same thing for my skid. Looking at mainly sweeping lots in spring for sand clean up and for myself for striping lots.

Do we go in together with the unit?
Do I or him own and we pay each other rent?
Do I own or him own it and we sub the lots out to each other?
Do we get an enclosed unit or not?

Any ideas, suggestions, ect would be great. Also what brand is best suited of this. I have looked at BOBCAt and he has checked out Cat's. He is running an 175NH skid and I have an S205 BOBCAT.

RockSet N' Grade
12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Owing an implement together is a bomb waiting to explode. If there is that much work to share, share the work.......but each of you get your own sweeping implement. Payments aren't that much (if you have the work for it) and it is certainly better to keep things separated for friendship preservation to accounting. Partnerships of any type have a very high divorce rate.

ksss
12-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I would also say buy your own. I own a sweeper attachment from Quick Attach it does a great job and it just over 3K. Hardly worth sharing an attachment that is soo inexpensive. If you considering the large open brush type broom they are even cheaper.

lawncare18
12-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Get a cab.. if not you guys will be eating dust and debri all day.. gets very very dusty at times sweeping.

meets1
12-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Alright, so say i get a the sweeper - do I let him use it for x amount per hour or per lot?

There are probably 50 praking lots total that will be swept by either him or myself. I may add to that number just because I also am painting parking lots.

Reason to maybe go together - we control the mkt, set the price and not have to worrry that he or myself will lowball work due to getting each others accounts.

Were in a small rural area so everyone has to get along but yet.......

RockSet N' Grade
12-07-2007, 09:49 PM
The terms and conditions of your arrangement are only limited to your imagination. Not meant to sound smug or trite. The only thing I can say is talk this one out between you two and see where you could complement each other and have it be a win/win for each of you. Maybe he throws a couple back-pack blowers into the pot. Maybe you guys, although separate entities, work this out so you work as a team to get the jobs done in a timely manner, throw the money into the pot, deduct hard costs and then split the kitty. Its wide open and up to you two guys to make it work for each other........

meets1
12-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I here ya - really the possibilities are endless of making this work. I have been doing some research via the net on sweepers. There are a few out there. Now I have only ran the bobcat enclosed one - simply b/c my dealer is in town and also a rental store.

I have sweepers here from CAT, JD, NH, BOBCAT, qucik attach, & Big DAWG.

IS there something we should be looking at regards to quality, etc when it comes to these sweepers?

RockSet N' Grade
12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I personally do not own a sweeper, so I am not qualified to answer that. Check out skidsteersolutions.com for a comparison. Maybe some of the other chaps in here??? Whatever you do, buy quality. I made the mistake of trying to save $1,000 on a bucket and bought an off brand and am most disappointed in the product I got.......I learned from that one and will not make that boo-boo again.

Gravel Rat
12-08-2007, 12:15 AM
A partnership deal never works out if you both go into a sweeper owning it together one person breaks the sweeper some how the other person gets all angry.

If you got the work buy your own sweeper even look at some auctions that sell used city equipment they might have a sweeper that you can adapt etc.

The highways maintenance contractor has a sweeper that they can use on a IT Cat loader or a plow truck. It really does nothing but blow dust everwhere its a big open rotating brush.

Then the sweeper truck that does our parking lot it is a vacuum sweeper it picks up all the dust and debris. It takes a little longer because it only has two small sweeper brushes. When he is done the lot is clean no dust floating around and its clean.

DuraCutter
12-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Alright, so say i get a the sweeper - do I let him use it for x amount per hour or per lot?

There are probably 50 praking lots total that will be swept by either him or myself. I may add to that number just because I also am painting parking lots.

Reason to maybe go together - we control the mkt, set the price and not have to worrry that he or myself will lowball work due to getting each others accounts.

Were in a small rural area so everyone has to get along but yet.......

You're probably seeing the writing on the wall... "GET YOUR OWN AND DONT RENT". Keep it business like, you have your equipment, he has his.... that's it, plain and simple or mark my words, you'll live to regret it any other way...

:)