PDA

View Full Version : 2007 HD problem

robertsturf
12-07-2007, 05:49 PM
I just finished plowing my first snow with my new 2005 HD. At 9:30pm list night my truck stopped moving. It was idling but wouldn't move. The dash said engine power ruduced. So I shut the truck off and it still wouldn't move. I played around with the battery terminals and found them to be slightly lose. So tightened them. The check engine light came on so I called Onstar to run a test. They said it had something to do with the electronic throttle control and I needed to take it to the dealer. We were able to drive it home and finish plowing with our other truck 2006 Silverado 1500. I took it to the dealer today and they said it was the battery terminal problem. I should not mount any add-on equipment to the battery terminals. Ok so I do I solve this issue? I have a snow plow, tail gate spreader and need to hook up the vibrator. I thought about replacing the mounting bolt with a slightly longer one and tighting the cables with a nut then with the remaining threads adding the wiring for the additional items. Or possible a relay terminal block set-up. I think that's how stereo shops wire in those big amp systems. Any help would be appreciated!!

mag360
12-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Might think about converting to duals.
Other trucks run plows/spreaders without ill effect, though, so maybe you're fine and the problem was just in the loose connections.

SiteSolutions
12-07-2007, 11:16 PM
There should be a big lug somewhere underhood you can tap for your aux elecctrical devices not directly at the battery... that is, a fuse box fed from the battery, follow the big cable that doesn't go tot the starter. Some vehicles even have aux fusible links or fuses for add-ons. Carefully inspect the underhood fuses / fusible links and your owners manual. I don't know much about late model chevy trucks so I can't tell you anything specific, but that is where I would look.

SpruceLandscape
12-07-2007, 11:48 PM
trade it in for a Dodge CTD :weightlifter:

robertsturf
12-09-2007, 06:31 AM
What about replacing the battery with a dual terminal battery? That seams rather wasteful but the most simple way to fix the problem.

Swampy
12-09-2007, 06:46 AM
I'd set it up with a extra battery and a bigger alternator. Running a plow, salter, strobes, and a beckon will draw a lot of power.