PDA

View Full Version : Regular Cab vs. Extended

DSLND
12-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey guys,

I've been looking at trucks, both regular cabs, and extended cabs.

Regular Cab Advantages:
-Long Bed
-More Space for Debris/Other Stuff

Disadvantages:
-Not much room for extra stuff/people
-I hear it's harder to plow with reg. cab

Extended Cab Advantages:
-More room
-Hear it's easier to plow
-Especially with school, i can throw stuff back there, and still have the front open

Disadvantages:
-Shorter bed
-Less room for debris, etc

I will be pulling a single-axle trailer to start off, then upgrading to an 18-20' enclsoed trailer. It will have an 8' Western plow mounted eventually, along with a tailgate spreader. Also will serve as my personal vehicle.

Heres two trucks i'm currently looking at:

Thanks!

-Mitch-

DSLND
12-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Other one......

RedMax Man
12-07-2007, 06:19 PM
I hear and think that plowing with a reg. cab is easier but ther can't too much of a significant difference. I'd would only go with the extended cab for work related usage if it also had an 8' bed. I've package myself and 2 other guys in a regular several times and its snug but managable even with a bunch of stuff. Since your truck will be used for work everyday i would prefer to sacrifice cab space for more bed length. Do you plan on getting a dump insert?

KS_Grasscutter
12-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Honestly, I would get a truck with an extended cab and long bed. The way I look at it, I would be VERY lost having a personal truck that wasn't an extended cab, and there is NO way I would work out of a short bed truck. Yea, its 2 feet longer, but it wouldnt be THAT big of a deal. Just be careful in tight parking spots.

DSLND
12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Micah: I see your point. Yes, i plan on putting a dump insert in a truck, mainly for grass debris, etc. I really want to go look at the extended cab, excited to see the difference in the extended cab and the regular's.

Eric: Thanks for the reply! How's that old truck of yours holding up?

Thanks!

-Mitch-

KS_Grasscutter
12-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Eric: Thanks for the reply! How's that old truck of yours holding up?

Thanks!

-Mitch-

Very good. Haven't had any major problems really, a few minor things though. It will be getting a dumping flatbed next summer. Also probably will repaint it in the next year or so.

lawn king
12-07-2007, 06:36 PM
I have owned both & i swore i would never buy another regular cab. I took delivery of an 08 regular cab wendsday,
plenty of leg room, very sharp ride!

lawnman456
12-07-2007, 07:28 PM
i have a 98 2500 hd extended cab long bed. the only thing i don't like is the extended cab back doesn't open. i like having room in the back plus the 8 ft bed

SimonCX
12-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Plowing with a regular cab is easier in small drivways. I like the long bed over the short sometimes the extra 2 ft comes in handy but you can get a dump insert for a short bed to.

HBLandscaping
12-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I have a 96 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab and a 02 2500 HD Ext Cab 8ft bed, Its hard to say which one is better. The 02 is great when I need to carry alot of People or need the extra inside room, but when it comes to small spaces or plowing snow your really cant beat the 96.

Take both out for a ride and see/feel the difference between them (Highway, Backroads, Big open parking lots and small tight lots etc). Then go home and put some thought into which one will suite you better for work based on your everyday needs (Not wants... I made that mistake once when I first started). Will you need that extra room inside vs losing that extra mobility, Think about how much hauling will you will REALLY do. When taking out the X-cab and see/feel the length remember you'll have 2 more feet on it with a plow. Think about the total length with the X-cab towing a trailer. There's alot to think about but just take your time and think about what will work the best for you. Good luck and let us know when you make your decision.

Gravel Rat
12-07-2007, 11:54 PM
I had a extended cab truck and I would never own one again they are just a extra place to carry more unneeded junk. Then with a extended cab you really can't carry anybody in the back seat comfortably.

humble1
12-08-2007, 12:20 AM
I had a bad arse Ford Disel Plow truck standard cab for my main personal truck, add a wife 2 kids and a 75 pound lab. Yup it sucked. When it was just me and the wife you really couldnt get much in the way of groceries if it was raining. Not to mention if you want to go Christmas Shopping. My newest Plow Truck F-250 extended cab. Plowing is almost the same going forward its the same, backing up I use my mirrors but there are the added Posts between the front and rear door that are blind spots plowing and the highway. This truck has heated mirrors so in snow it rocks. So to sum it up the amount of time you plow versus the rest of the year I would go for the extended cab

topsites
12-08-2007, 02:17 AM
My experience has been that the King cab weighs at least a thousand pounds more, maybe not in itself but certainly the luxury models do, when compared to a basic work truck.

Most have a bigger engine, more transmission, and other things that add weight, it's not just the extra cab. As for the bed, unless you get a short bed it's the same thing, so now you got 2-3 extra feet of vehicle to deal with and this makes the turning radius wider (yes, literally) and makes it noticeably more difficult to maneuver, especially with the trailer but even without, the dang thing is like a super stretch limo to drive.

This affects mpg, my '95 d-2500 slt club weighs about a ton more than my old 85 D250 basic truck did, that I find amazing, a whole TON. We're talking going from 14mpg to 11...

To shave weight off there's little doing...
Remove the tailgate, take out the back seat and rest, replace the front seats with racing seats and replace the hood with carbon fiber saves about 5-600 pounds, and costs 1-2 thousand dollars just in parts.
The problem is, you have to take off dang near 700 pounds before there is a difference in mpg.
So replace the front fenders with carbon fiber, another 500 dollars.
Then replace the trailer with an aluminum one, 3000 dollars.
There, 5 thousand dollars later (oh yeah, all DIY) you're back to the weight and mpg of a basic work truck.

Don't forget luxury costs, these are ultimately work trucks, you have to weigh the factors between luxury and function, but if you want luxury then for the same money you get less function.

So unless you have to have the luxury I'd get a basic truck, you get more truck for your money.

humble1
12-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I wouldnt shave weight off a plow truck, the heavier the better the traction. I think my bed it 6ft on my f-250 i havea 200 gallon space saver tank sprayer, and still have room for 350 ft of compressor and a few tool boxes for blowing out irrigation systems. I love having the spray tank in the back, now nobody asks me to borrow my truck to help them move

LindblomRJ
12-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I have an extended can long box. Topsites.... Good grief. That is the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. My extended cab has the same exact engine options and a regular cab. The whole idea of saving weight on a truck is simple ridiculous. While fuel mileage is important its not the main goal of owning a pickup. Its for work. For hauling large amounts of whatever.

If you want to have better mileage pony up the extra $8000 for a diesel. Lets see Diesel is selling for about $3.50 a gallon now?

Topsites by the time you come up with some of the these modifications the 1 or 2 MPGs you save and time wasted and several other factors you still will lose money.

Now with my setup the back seat is a catchall of all sorts of stuff. It is also handy. The 8 foot box is also a nice addition. The only thing I really don't care for it the 40 acres to turn it around.

Herrick
12-08-2007, 01:53 PM
If it wasn't for the family, I'd have a regular cab. Back seat is only good for kids. The extended cab short bed trucks are typically about a foot longer than the regular cab long beds too... For a plow truck the regualr cab will give you some extra capacity on the front axle for the plow too. I think in your situation, the regular cab is the way to go.

leaflandscape
12-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm always amazed at how much crap my guys can fit in the extended cab of our f350:dizzy:. It's like a yard sale in there, despite our Friday afternoon cleanup of the vehicles. There's coats and boots and lunchpails and everything in there, but the extra space is awesome.

Victor
12-08-2007, 03:30 PM
From where your bed and cab meet forward is for play. From where your bed and cab meet back, is for work. Are you looking for a work truck, or a personal truck? I'll never understand why some guys buy an extended cab truck, with a 6 foot bed to use for lawn care work. If you haul crews around in the truck, a crew cab, 8 foot bed truck would make sense, but those aren't good for plowing anything but roads normally.

deere615
12-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I had to make this same decision when I was looking for a truck. I really would reccomend an 8ft bed, I have a reg. cab 8ft bed. Ext. cabs are very nice but I didn't want that long of a truck, m y next truck will probably be 8ft bed ext cab.

cutedge
12-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Get an extended cab long bed, take the bed off and replace it with a flatbed. Way more room on the flatbed, more side options, doesn't hold water and debris, and can put a 3 ton salt spreader on it very easily

J&R Landscaping
12-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Extended cab long bed is the way to get the best of both worlds! From having a few Reg cabs and 1 ext cab, I can say I like the ext cabs better for some ways but the regular cabs in other ways.

KS_Grasscutter
12-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Get an extended cab long bed, take the bed off and replace it with a flatbed. Way more room on the flatbed, more side options, doesn't hold water and debris, and can put a 3 ton salt spreader on it very easily

Yes, very good idea. Flat beds are the way to go. Both my trucks are getting flat beds next season.

DSLND
12-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I just got home from taking the extended cab truck pictured for a test drive. I was very impressed, but i'm not paying $11,500 for it. I may make an offer later this week, i need to think about it.

Thanks.

-Mitch-