PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining a business license

tjc47
12-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I am just starting out, and I am located in Missouri. I registered with the state already and I was just curious if I need to obtain a business license to mow lawns. And if I do, how do I get one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

echeandia
12-07-2007, 09:35 PM
You get a business license from the county, city, or town you run your business from.

shane mapes
12-08-2007, 12:08 AM
you need one for every city you do work in unless you get your state contractors lic.

Young Bros
12-08-2007, 01:16 AM
I went to legalzoom.com and incoporated my company. My state is now sending tax id and such.

tjc47
12-08-2007, 02:47 AM
So, I need a business license from every state, city and town that I do business in. How do I get that?

echeandia
12-08-2007, 06:39 AM
So, I need a business license from every state, city and town that I do business in. How do I get that?

You do not need a business license for every customer you visit, just for the location of your office. But you can call every state, city, and town where you will have customers located if you want to feel better.

shane mapes
12-08-2007, 10:09 AM
You do not need a business license for every customer you visit, just for the location of your office. But you can call every state, city, and town where you will have customers located if you want to feel better.

you need to check your local rules but in cal. you need a city lic. for every city you do work in not just the city you live in or your shop is in .if you are a state contractor its different. but most of us just have city lic.

echeandia
12-08-2007, 01:55 PM
you need to check your local rules but in cal. you need a city lic. for every city you do work in not just the city you live in or your shop is in .if you are a state contractor its different. but most of us just have city lic.

Well I just checked the rules for Solano County, CA. You should have a Business License and Zoning Permit for the city that your business is located. In your case that would be Dixon. For your equipment you should file a Business Property Statement with the county. Additionally, if you use a fictitious name you need to file a Fictitious Business Name with the county as well. Your Contractor's License, Corporation, Company or Partnership Filings, Pesticide Licensing and Certification, Registration Form for Employers, and Sales & Use Permit are all state level filings.

I found nothing about needing a business license for every town, city, or county where you perform a service. If it wasn't Saturday I would have called Solano County to verify.

A business only needs a business license for the location where business is transacted. If you have offices in more than one location than you will need multiple licenses. But for most of us only one is required. You better verify you have all your documentation up to date because you probably don't.

shane mapes
12-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Well I just checked the rules for Solano County, CA. You should have a Business License and Zoning Permit for the city that your business is located. In your case that would be Dixon. For your equipment you should file a Business Property Statement with the county. Additionally, if you use a fictitious name you need to file a Fictitious Business Name with the county as well. Your Contractor's License, Corporation, Company or Partnership Filings, Pesticide Licensing and Certification, Registration Form for Employers, and Sales & Use Permit are all state level filings.

I found nothing about needing a business license for every town, city, or county where you perform a service. If it wasn't Saturday I would have called Solano County to verify.

A business only needs a business license for the location where business is transacted. If you have offices in more than one location than you will need multiple licenses. But for most of us only one is required. You better verify you have all your documentation up to date because you probably don't.

i will check on monday . i've been in this since 03 and every year i have had to pay city lic. for the four citys i work in . i hope you are right, but as far as i know my tax person and the cityies have required this to happen . i job.

cutemhigh
12-08-2007, 06:40 PM
not that i know, and it may vary for location..but i did once work for a company that had us paying income tax to every town they had a house in. even if my route didnt take me to that town, i paid income tax as if i had..just a tidbit..