PDA

View Full Version : Getting 50+ accounts by next season

personallawn
12-08-2007, 01:06 AM
I am starting out a lawncare business next season. I wanted to know if it is possible to get 50+ customers in the next 4 months and the best ways to go about doing it? I only have 5 accounts right now, but I wanted to know if it is realistic to gain that many customers. I know it all depends on how much I advertise, but what are the best ways to gain a lot of customers in a short period of time? I know its going to be hard but I am willing to put all my effort into doing this and any help would be great. Thanks

Ryan

DaveinSWFL
12-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I am not an expert, new to the business as well. I would make sure that the 5 that I am servicing look fantastic. I would offer referral discounts to existing customers. I would give fliers out letting the neighbors know that you service Mr & Mrs ____ property and that you are detail oriented, etc. If the lawn is the best on the block, they will call. When you meet new people tell them what you do and give a business card out. If they don't need your service maybe a friend does. When I service my properties I wave to neighbors and say hello to evryone who passes by. Shows that I am approachable. Your right, your goal of 50 is difficult, but it is obtainable. Good luck to you.

bohiaa
12-08-2007, 10:03 AM
That is NOT unrealistic at all.

My 1st year I had 42, there were NOT all weekly, And some were one time only,
BUT what will happen is, while working solo " I assume your solo" you will start getting calls and spending a lot of time doing bids and meeting Customers. this will take you away from Working " cutting grass "

Really to get a weekly Customer you need to spend at least 1 hour with them. Walking there proptery and getting on the same page... Now this is NOT true for every customer or situwation. But It's a GREAT model to go by.

Once you start getting your name and number out there, and you get 25-30 Customers you WILL HAVE to have some help. This is when the phone will start ringing off the wall.

If you get 4 bids in one day. just put it in your mind that will take 4 hours outta your day.
With that in mind. I think you can quickly see that it will be hard to keep up with your customer base.

Unrealstic... NOT AT ALL.....

Good luck

shane mapes
12-08-2007, 10:29 AM
do you work another job with this your are you just working lawns? i have a full time graveyard job plus the lawns. my second year in bus. i had 97 customers mostly weekly and i had a part time guy . i worked 2.5 days a week plus my 50 hours ant night. all my mowers and stuff was new so i did not do pms on them. i figured "it can wait " at the end of that year made good money from both places and my other job went crazy. we started working 16 hours a day 7 days a week. almost for the whole year. my lawns took a tole. i started to cancel some of the lawns and pass some to the other small guys in town.in the winter i had given up most and was down to just 5 lawns. laid off my part time guy and choose to stop doing lawns..last year i started up again with a bus. partner. i have a new look on those type of work. at the time i had no choice but to work all those hours. but now i'vs been there long enough that i can pass on the overtime when i need to..we went from 97 customers to nothing and now were at 26 and can't seem to pass that mark. so think hard and long about your choices your making and good luck.

Wells
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
If your plan is to obtain 50 clients by April and not lowball the other companies working in your market then I say you have a slim chance but it also depends on how saturated your area is with other lawn companies.

Now by the end of the season I could see you possibly having a clientell of 50 plus but not by April. Remember that the average responce rate to your advertising is going to be around 2%, so for every 200 flyers you put out you should expect around 2 calls, then you still need to land the client. Most people come into this field with unrealistic goals and get frustrated and leave when things don't work out the way they thought they would.

bohiaa
12-08-2007, 10:54 AM
do you work another job with this your are you just working lawns? i have a full time graveyard job plus the lawns. my second year in bus. i had 97 customers mostly weekly and i had a part time guy . i worked 2.5 days a week plus my 50 hours ant night. all my mowers and stuff was new so i did not do pms on them. i figured "it can wait " at the end of that year made good money from both places and my other job went crazy. we started working 16 hours a day 7 days a week. almost for the whole year. my lawns took a tole. i started to cancel some of the lawns and pass some to the other small guys in town.in the winter i had given up most and was down to just 5 lawns. laid off my part time guy and choose to stop doing lawns..last year i started up again with a bus. partner. i have a new look on those type of work. at the time i had no choice but to work all those hours. but now i'vs been there long enough that i can pass on the overtime when i need to..we went from 97 customers to nothing and now were at 26 and can't seem to pass that mark. so think hard and long about your choices your making and good luck.

WOW If you had 97 weekly acconts you must of had a hard decission to make.
being in Business with a partner is risky, I trust you went to an attorney.

shane mapes
12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
WOW If you had 97 weekly acconts you must of had a hard decission to make.
being in Business with a partner is risky, I trust you went to an attorney.

YOUR ANSWER TO THE QUESTION IS WE ARE TALKING TO ONE RIGHT NOW. WE JUST PARTNER UP 2 MONTHS AGO. AND YES IT WAS A VERY HARD ONE TO MAKE .BUT IT'S ALSO HARD ONE TO MAKE TO WALK A WAY FROM A UNION JOB WITH BENEFITS WERE I MADE A LITTLE OVER 100,000.00 LAST YEAR WITH ALL THE OVER TIME..SO YES IT IS NOT EASY TO DO AND MAKE CHOICES ON BOTH JOBS.

GraZZmaZter
12-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Its rather interesting the diversification of answers you get on here...

Bottom line.... if you think you can or you think you cant .... YOUR RIGHT

Tim Wright
12-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, You can have a 1000 accounts but if you get hit with a drought like we did this year, they won't do you a bit of good.

I lost thousands of dollars on residentials -no contracts- this year.

Now I am finding that customers that did levelize billing now want to pay-per-service.

If we have drought this year, it won't be pretty.

Tim

topsites
12-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Well, your attitude is good to have, it never hurts to have high goals.
I say go for it, just don't be too disappointed if you end up with less or it does not work out exactly the way you had in mind.

In other words don't let it get you down if you only end up with 30 or 40, that could be detrimental in itself, more so than the fact that you might think it's not enough... I've survived with 20-30 customers before, so the key here is shoot for the best but expect the worst. For example, go for 50 but be happy and content if you end up with 20, now I hope that doesn't ruin your goals but I also hope not to send you down the road to 50 then you get 30 and you quit, see, so, well, take it from here.

oh yeah... How...
1) Advertise your BUTT off, you can NOT, I repeat: You will NOT put out enough, never mind too much, so do a TON x 3!
2) Lowball.
> Hint: The more of 1 you do, the less of 2 you have to do.
3) IF you get too many calls, that's great reason to raise your prices.

If we have drought this year, it won't be pretty.

Tim

I don't want to talk about that, but you don't have to tell me :laugh:

personallawn
12-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I am talking to everyone and have businesses cards for now since theres snow on the ground but I wanted if people would find it strange or be completely uninterested about there nexts years lawncare services already since they still have a few months of snow here(I live in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY). What would be a couple good ways to advertise now while its cold? Maybe going door to door in neighborhoods I know with older people(even though it's cold, I'm young and don't look to harmful so they might let me in and I could tell them about my service and how it will benefit them).

Someone replied asking if I work solo- I work solo and I have a friend that will help me anytime I'm going to need any.

Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks

Ryan

JayD
12-08-2007, 04:01 PM
YOUR ANSWER TO THE QUESTION IS WE ARE TALKING TO ONE RIGHT NOW. WE JUST PARTNER UP 2 MONTHS AGO. AND YES IT WAS A VERY HARD ONE TO MAKE .BUT IT'S ALSO HARD ONE TO MAKE TO WALK A WAY FROM A UNION JOB WITH BENEFITS WERE I MADE A LITTLE OVER 100,000.00 LAST YEAR WITH ALL THE OVER TIME..SO YES IT IS NOT EASY TO DO AND MAKE CHOICES ON BOTH JOBS.

Hey Shane,
What is your other job? I too am in this boat, but no where close to what you have/had.
I have been in this business for one year now and only have 10 clients. Out of those 10, two are commercial. I was really trying to go after commercial for next year but they are hard to get. So I am now putting a lot into door hangers, fliers, paper adds and such.
Thanks, Jay

ALarsh
12-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Its possible. I did it last spring. You should set aside $3k for advertising depending on your market. I suggest get a good logo made, nice website made, possibly yellow pages (I didn't do yellow pages), and doorhangers / directmail. I did doorhangers last year, switching to direct mail this up coming April.

KS_Grasscutter
12-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I am going to do the doorhangers this spring. Looking to go from 20 to around 50 weekly lawns.

shane mapes
12-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey Shane,
What is your other job? I too am in this boat, but no where close to what you have/had.
I have been in this business for one year now and only have 10 clients. Out of those 10, two are commercial. I was really trying to go after commercial for next year but they are hard to get. So I am now putting a lot into door hangers, fliers, paper adds and such.
Thanks, Jay

i work for a company that loads perishable goods for Ralph's food for less nugget markets and a few more. last year we took over for Ralph's on the delivery of goods.so last year it was pretty busy for us and we are leveled out and i have enough guys in seniority below me to pick the shifts and times i want . so this year it will be a lot easier. i too will be working hard this year to get commercial accounts ... good luck we all need it....

Wells
12-08-2007, 07:13 PM
2) Lowball.
Geat adivce if you enjoy working twice as hard a smaller piece of the pie.
I realize that lowballing seems like a good idea in order to attract more clients but you only end up working harder for less money.

Example:
Lets say your competition charges $35 per lawn and you decide to lowball and charge $25 for the same lawn and lets say each week you both earn $2000. You will need to cut 80 lawns per week while your competion only needs to cut 57 lawns. This means you need 23 more clients then your competition to make the same amount of money.

If you price the jobs right you don't need as many of them and at the end of the day you haven't worn yourself out. Work smarter not harder.

Grits
12-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Its rather interesting the diversification of answers you get on here...

Bottom line.... if you think you can or you think you cant .... YOUR RIGHT

I like that.

PlatinumLandCon
12-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I realize that lowballing seems like a good idea in order to attract more clients but you only end up working harder for less money.

Example:
Lets say your competition charges $35 per lawn and you decide to lowball and charge $25 for the same lawn and lets say each week you both earn $2000. You will need to cut 80 lawns per week while your competion only needs to cut 57 lawns. This means you need 23 more clients then your competition to make the same amount of money.

If you price the jobs right you don't need as many of them and at the end of the day you haven't worn yourself out. Work smarter not harder.

Lowballing is a good way of establishing a customer base, but it could attract the wrong customers. If someone isn't willing to pay $99 or $119 or whatever price per month for services, they shouldn't be getting them. If you lower the price to say $79/month and you start getting bites, it might be a challenge to raise your prices later on. With the higher prices, you also get more respect from the more affluent clients and will be able to attract people that you WANT to service.

It's always people's first instinct to lower prices to get clients, then raise them once they're maxing out their schedule. This is fine because you will learn to drop the less profitable clients in favor of the easy to deal with and prompt paying ones.

If you do choose to lowball, your first few months (possibly the fisrt season) will be full of headaches as you try to establish your business. This is something everyone incurrs so its no big deal, I just wanted to warn you.

As for the original question, YES it is possible to get 50 clients by April. What I suggest is doing aearation in March/April to kickstart your business. I say this for a few reasons:

1) Its a service that people make a decision on when you're at the door. Yes or no right on the spot.
2) It pays AMAZING if you can keep busy.
3) Its a gateway to getting mowing customers... "Mr Smith, I also provide regular lawn care services. Would you be interested?" If they say no, reply with "Well, here's my card. If you change your mind or know someone in the area that may be interested, give me a call."
4) Its relatively easy to do, and do well.

I'm not sure what your financial situation is or what your credit situation is, but I can tell you that you can buy and pay off a $2500 aeration machine in the first round of visits if you play your cards right (think about it, $35-50 per house x 70-80 houses = $2450 - $4000 :weightlifter:).

Good Luck with everything!

-Tom

WHIPPLE5.7
12-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Example:

LOWBALLING WORKS FOR ME. Here is how. Unlike many LCOs I don't have employees so I don't pay for unimployment ins. and work comp., I also buy as much of my equipment at cost as possible(which is almost all of it), I don't drive a $50,000 diesel truck like so many LCOs around here do. I don't make bad investments that I would have to rebound from like others. I maintain all of my equipment myself instead of paying ungodly amounts to billy bobs butt screwing repair shop. When all of that is taken into account you can easily shave $5 off a lawn than one of the big LCOs, and still come out great.

JayD
12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
LOWBALLING WORKS FOR ME. Here is how. Unlike many LCOs I don't have employees so I don't pay for unimployment ins. and work comp., I also buy as much of my equipment at cost as possible(which is almost all of it), I don't drive a $50,000 diesel truck like so many LCOs around here do. I don't make bad investments that I would have to rebound from like others. I maintain all of my equipment myself instead of paying ungodly amounts to billy bobs butt screwing repair shop. When all of that is taken into account you can easily shave $5 off a lawn than one of the big LCOs, and still come out great.

I know this is off the topic, but sense it was in this post, I would like to ask.
Speaking of employees / unemployment ins. and workman's comp, who knows some about this?
Like when do if at all are you to provide this. If you just use a helper some, and nothing like a 40 hr week thing, do you need to have this. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, on taxes, you just report them as sub-contrators, is this right?
Thanks

schunklawn
12-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know what all the talk is about the 2% return on the fliers. Not saying that it couldn't be an accurate average for your area but i am get a much higher response percentage in my area and also gaining a high percentage of those calls as customers. You may want to put a little more thought into the design and wording of your advertising. You can easily gain 50 customers by the early part of the mowing season. I am usually getting about 20%-25% return as far as calls go and similar results for actual business with my fliers.

No Bunk Lawn Care........:cool2::cool2:

JayD
12-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't know what all the talk is about the 2% return on the fliers. Not saying that it couldn't be an accurate average for your area but i am get a much higher response percentage in my area and also gaining a high percentage of those calls as customers. You may want to put a little more thought into the design and wording of your advertising. You can easily gain 50 customers by the early part of the mowing season. I am usually getting about 20%-25% return as far as calls go and similar results for actual business with my fliers.

Thanks for sharing that, that makes me feel a little better about doing it.

mowtivations lawncare
12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
i agree. i've gotten many responses from my flyers. They are relatively simple and dont cost much to print off. i've invested about 16.00 in flyers and have made over 400.00 from them in just the past week.

JayD
12-09-2007, 04:42 PM
i agree. i've gotten many responses from my flyers. They are relatively simple and dont cost much to print off. i've invested about 16.00 in flyers and have made over 400.00 from them in just the past week.

So what do you guys do, you make them your self and take to print shop and have them mass-print for you or what?

mowtivations lawncare
12-09-2007, 06:06 PM
So what do you guys do, you make them your self and take to print shop and have them mass-print for you or what? i make them on my spreadsheet on my computer and i WAS taking them to office max or office depot or kinkos and printing them off at .08 cents a copy but my wife takes em to her job and prints em for free now.

PlatinumLandCon
12-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Do you mind sharing this flyer?

ALarsh
12-09-2007, 07:35 PM

What is your demographic criteria for your mailing lists?

Wells
12-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Do you mind sharing this flyer?

I would also be interested in seeing a flyer that produces such a great rate of return especially one made in a spreadsheet program versus one made with an illustration program.

Also for those that are considering the lowballing method you need to go read the post about how another member nearly lost his business in '95 and shares his experience. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=208711

schunklawn
12-09-2007, 08:55 PM
i will get a pic of atleast my leaf and snow removal flyers on soon....i don't know where my grass cutting and mulching ones are.....

No Bunk Lawn Care......:usflag::usflag:

schunklawn
12-09-2007, 08:59 PM
i have also gained a lot of lawn cutting customers just from doing a one or two time leaf removal or snow removal job...its a beautiful thing....i think that mowing, mulching, shrub trimming, leaf removal and snow blowing for clients is a major money maker that is straight forward and easily manageable without getting too out of line as far as how many different services you offer. i fertilize and stuff too but those services are the core of my business....i love it....

schunklawn
12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
here is my leaf removal flyer and then my snow removal one...

No Bunk

schunklawn
12-09-2007, 09:23 PM
i'm trying.....they will be up soon

12-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I know this is off the topic, but sense it was in this post, I would like to ask.
Speaking of employees / unemployment ins. and workman's comp, who knows some about this?
Like when do if at all are you to provide this. If you just use a helper some, and nothing like a 40 hr week thing, do you need to have this. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, on taxes, you just report them as sub-contrators, is this right?
Thanks

Even if you have an employee that works 1 hour, you need to do workers comp. It is easy to set up. In ND it is around $5 per every $100 you pay the employee. Talk to your Secretary of State, they can point you in the right direction.

According to the IRS, if your in charge of a person, and they are using your equipment, and doing the job how you tell them to, then they are an employee. If they use thier equipment, and they work on thier schedule, and complete the job how they want to, then they are a contractor.

PascoPropMaint
12-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Are you mailing out your fliers or handing them out?

personallawn
12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I started this post and I was just wondering what people thought about one more question I have. I am trying to get the 50+ accounts by next season and I know its going to take a lot of effort, but are people going to be unattracted because I'm 18 years old. Its going to be my first year in business, but I have worked at the country club groundskeeping for a while and know how to run all types of equipment and I present myself very well? What experiences have you had starting out from not having to many accounts? What was your best advertising right when you started? Thanks

Ryan

shane mapes
12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I started this post and I was just wondering what people thought about one more question I have. I am trying to get the 50+ accounts by next season and I know its going to take a lot of effort, but are people going to be unattracted because I'm 18 years old. Its going to be my first year in business, but I have worked at the country club groundskeeping for a while and know how to run all types of equipment and I present myself very well? What experiences have you had starting out from not having to many accounts? What was your best advertising right when you started? Thanks

Ryan

the way you sound you will do go in this type of work.. just remember the more you put into it the more you will get out of it .. don't trip on the slow times and in the beginning it will be tough , but hang in their and good luck..

schunklawn
12-11-2007, 06:57 PM
i'm 22 and have a great gig going on right now. get a uniform with you business name on it and look professional especially bc of your age. Do good work and more importantly have good communication skills with your customers and be reliable. My business grew too fast for me actually. Simple character traits will take you very very far in this business. good luck

No Bunk Lawn Care

JayD
12-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Even if you have an employee that works 1 hour, you need to do workers comp. It is easy to set up. In ND it is around $5 per every $100 you pay the employee. Talk to your Secretary of State, they can point you in the right direction.

According to the IRS, if your in charge of a person, and they are using your equipment, and doing the job how you tell them to, then they are an employee. If they use thier equipment, and they work on thier schedule, and complete the job how they want to, then they are a contractor.

Hummm.......
Thanks Steve, I never new that. I will need to look into this. I want to do everything RIGHT.
Jay

grapeford
12-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm assuming you're 19, live with your parents, and will underbid *(lowball) everyone in your area. Trying to suck the life out of guys who provide a good product, want to get paid for their hard work, have families to feed, and have invested in their businesses. I've seen it over and over again. If I'm mowing the lawn for $50.00, you'll ring the doorbell and tell the customer that you'll mow it for $40 or $35.00. It is what it is. You have no insurance, no overhead, and if you take one account from a reputable, solid owner/operator, then shame on you.

personallawn
12-12-2007, 12:06 AM
I hope you weren't talking about me when you said that I wouldn't be insured and I would underbid on every account because I will be insured and I'm not going to underbid on all of my accounts.

Ryan

Sundancekid74
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
The best means of marketing I know of would be door to door with a door knocker/flier. You can have a company logo designed for around $200.00 and upwards of five hundred fliers printed. You just hang them on the door and keep gettin. My first year I did a half ***(and regretfully so) job of marketing and still acquired 30 accounts. I believe 50 would have been easily attained if I would have started early enough; say by first week of March.

DaveinSWFL
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Don't take it personal Ryan. You have a few on here who claim every new person who gets in the business must be a low baller, uninsured, uneducated, etc. Thank god for the majority on here who are open minded, intelligent and bring useful info, ideas and opinions to the site. Grapeford and a few others on here seem very bitter. Maybe we should ASSUME that maybe a new guy in the business took some of your customers do to sloopy work and cutting corners which the majority of the LCO'S do down here. I have picked up quite a few accounts from these types and I am sure that they are calling me a low baller, etc. When you are the new guy, you are aggressive, excited and take pride in your work and it shows. You don't have to be a low baller, just do what the customer wants you to do instead of trying to find ways to do the least amount of work as fast as possible. Some that have been around for awhile get lazy, get sloppy and don't take pride in there work. If your that type then I have no problem taking over that account.

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 06:21 PM
it is very possible. you just have to have alot of determination and the right advertisin. charge the right amounts, so that you make money, and of course do quality work.

Wells
12-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Dave,
Some of us veterans have been doing this for a long time and we try to give these newbies solid advice to help them avoid some of the mistakes we've see many others make.

Before August, 90% of all of these new guys will have failed in their attempt to start a business and will be wondering what happened. Believe me I see it every year, hundreds of startup companies come here looking for advice and one by one they disappear.

Once they start to fall off the grid it's the established companies that end up stepping in and repairing the situation, every year we get dozens of calls from homeowners and businesses that are looking for help because their new guy just couldn't deliver or got in over his head.

I could care less if you take my advice or not because I'm already established, I've been the newbie before and I'm just trying to help others avoid the pitfalls in this business.

DaveinSWFL
12-12-2007, 08:18 PM
And I appreciate the advice. I network with folks in my area with years of experience and I am honored that they chose to share their years of hard work with me so that I dont make the same mistakes that they made when they started out. I guess my point is the man just asked if it was possible to get 50 accounts. I dont see the point of attacking his character. People come here with legitimate questions and there is one or two that have something crappy to say. Just my opinion.
Dave

personallawn
12-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks Dave, I'm starting to understand why a few people might assume that I will be uninsured and wont do a quality job on my accounts even though its wrong of them to assume such things. I appreciate your input and everyone elses help because it is realy beneficial. I've realized that starting a business is like everything else in life. When you start playing a sport, your not going to be the best athlete right away. Those who have been playing for a while might look down on you and might believe that you can't do it while some while encourage you and help you become better, but if you work hard, learn as much as you can, and don't give up, you will be able to succeed. I'm going to start marketing more and learning as much as I can so I will be able to deliver my customers with the best quality work. Thanks

Ryan

Wells
12-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Ryan,
Nobody here is looking down on you but rather trying to give you solid advice. Your original question asked if you could aquire 50 clients by April 1st. (4 months).

Many people are telling you that it is possible, but "very few" startup companies with little to no experience are going to land 50 accounts before the season even gets started. Not saying it can't happen just that it's not the norm.

I could lie to you and pump your mind full of false hope or I could tell you straight up what to expect even if it's not what you want to hear.

You could always start a "poll" and ask how many accounts people aquired by the start of their first season, think you'll be surprised by the results.

By the end of your season I think you could possible be at 50 accounts but just not by April. Good luck to you this year and I appologize if I come accross as an azz.

PlatinumLandCon
12-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Ryan,
Nobody here is looking down on you but rather trying to give you solid advice. Your original question asked if you could aquire 50 clients by April 1st. (4 months).

Many people are telling you that it is possible, but "very few" startup companies with little to no experience are going to land 50 accounts before the season even gets started. Not saying it can't happen just that it's not the norm.

I could lie to you and pump your mind full of false hope or I could tell you straight up what to expect even if it's not what you want to hear.

You could always start a "poll" and ask how many accounts people aquired by the start of their first season, think you'll be surprised by the results.

By the end of your season I think you could possible be at 50 accounts but just not by April. Good luck to you this year and I appologize if I come accross as an azz.

I agree. Aim for 25-30 by April (maybe closer to 40 if you do areation and score some customers from there:)) but try to get 50+ by the end of the year. It isn't impossible by any stretch of the imagination (I want to go from 12 in '07 to 50+ in '08) but it will be a mission to get there.