PDA

View Full Version : is there such a thing as 'too soon'?

cutemhigh
12-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Preping to start lc in spring. Dont have insurance, not registered. When is it too soon to start advertising and getting contracts? I mean, Im not officially a business untill I get the ins and llc. That will come before spring, but is it ethical for me to try to get business for spring NOW, without being fully up? I have no intentions of going on a lawn uninsured..
I do not want to accentuate the fact that it is our first year, and that could be tricky when planning to open in the spring. May be legal issues too. I mean (hypathetically speaking) someone's kid could eat my business card, and Im not insured yet, so there goes the house! But seriously..any advice about making use of the down time until we start in spring?

1993 F-150 xl
olds school bd 48" Exmark
Stihl br 350 blower
Stihl weedeater
5x12 trailer.

BeautifulBlooms
12-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Once you have a contract you have to do the work, so what if you dont get the businessname you want, or there are hangups with the licensing???

bohiaa
12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
NOT AT ALL....

It may even be getting late....

Not sure what type of Customer your targeting, But A lot of Co's. take bids in January and only in JAn.

So Get off your Butt and go DO it......... LOL

Also Make sure you shp around to get insurance, and BE sure To get some too....

Insurance WILL MAKE YOU MONEY

shane mapes
12-08-2007, 11:16 AM
make sure you get lic. and ins. first befor you print up one flyer.. better to be legal then to get into trouble befor you even stat up..

Wells
12-08-2007, 11:33 AM
As far as advertising goes it really depends on the type of client that you are trying to obtain. Many commercial bids come out in August, others at the first of the year and some just before the season starts.

If your target market is residentials then I would hold off on marketing until Feburary or March. It's been my experience that most people aren't going to call until they need the service, it's like the ice cream truck trying to sell cones in the winter.

Keep in mind that in the early spring clients will be bombarded with dozens of flyers, door hangers & business cards from every LCO around so use your down time to create some advertising that going to help you stand out from the rest.

cutemhigh
12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Fantastice, prompt replies. Thank you. Mixed results though!LOL. Not looking for commercial accounts at this time, so maybe waiting just a bit will be fine. The ohio site for llc does not give a time frame, but does offer an option to expedite the application for another hundred smackers. not knowing the turnaround, we may fork out the extra, just to get it in hand..any comments on that?