PDA

View Full Version : Top dressing, lets see how others do it...need some ideas

A-Cut-ABOVE
12-08-2007, 09:53 AM
How do you guys do it? By machine , by hand?
just looking for different methods to appy.

freddyc
12-08-2007, 08:41 PM
So far I have done it by hand--- I really don't do that much so its not a big deal.

But, I was kicking around the idea of using the sander (salt spreader) by mounting it on a small trailer....no idea if it would work or not, but its a tailgate type machine so its small enough to tow around if I wanted to--holds about 1/4 yard......absolutely no idea if it would distribute evenly or not and I wouldn't mind hearing some comments too! It would only be for a very thin coating not trying to put down 2 inches or so.

If you did a lot of topdressing it would probably be best to have a machine of some type. Do they actually sell a dedicated machine for this?????.

mdlwn1
12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
only works on the big salt spreaders with the walking floor.

Marcos
12-09-2007, 02:55 AM
You guys might laugh at this.
But when I top dress areas in the soccer and football fields that I take care of, I just use a wagon similar to (but much more modern than) what my great-grandfather used to spread manure around his fields with when he ran a dairy farm.

Turfco Tim
12-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Guys,
We make 7 different types of top dressers from a small, self-propelled unit to a 4 cu./yard tractor towed unit. You can see them on our website, turfco.com. Call us if you have questions about top dressing. We have been building top dressers for over 40 years so we know'em.
1-800-679-8201
Tim

2stroke
12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
what kind of material is used for topdressing?

DoetschOutdoor
12-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Mostly compost, top soil, humus, etc.

txgrassguy
12-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I have a Turfco MeterMatic with the Chevron belt - works great. The distribution is very uniform and the gate controls are easy to use. Will uniformly distribute just about anything.

golfguy
12-10-2007, 09:48 PM
I also have the metermatic and a Tycrop. The only thing that sucks about the metermatic is the drive roller has an abrasive paper on it that tends to wear out. The belt will not turn when this happens.

The tycrop can put down the lightest dusting of sand imaginable.

naughty62
12-11-2007, 06:13 AM
1 ton dump, hyrdrostatic utility tractor w/ 3point landscape rake and loader bucket.Small topdresser would cool but , We dont have any licenced supplers near us.

Turfco Tim
12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Check out Turfco's website. We have been making a spinner type top dresser for 10 years. We are the only company that makes a model that can go from very heavy, filling aeration holes, to so light you can water it in.

dave k
12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Gi to www.sandmantopdressing.com to see his operation.
Merry Christmas.

nigel28
02-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Or try www.Levellawns.com and check out his process

RD 12
02-01-2008, 06:42 PM
It really depends on how big the area that you are doing.

Smallaxe
02-02-2008, 08:18 AM
I still say that, the company that comes out with a simple push cart machine for compost and sells them for a couple hundred dollars, will have a long time market. Build them better than than what they're doing with fertilizer spreaders will be important at first. Sell one model to homeowners and then one model for industrial size lawns.

I am going to spend some time tearing apart and rebuilding a lawn spreader to drop compost. Spreading compost may become popular over time and having an affordable machine to do it with, can only help. The popularity will then sell the more expensive models.

echeandia
02-02-2008, 10:41 PM
I do it by hand. An inexpensive machine would be nice though.

paponte
02-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Mulch blower... works great.

LB1234
02-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Guys,
We make 7 different types of top dressers from a small, self-propelled unit to a 4 cu./yard tractor towed unit. You can see them on our website, turfco.com. Call us if you have questions about top dressing. We have been building top dressers for over 40 years so we know'em.
1-800-679-8201
Tim

Are there any in rental fleets, the self powered ones, here in jersey?

Turfco Tim
02-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't believe so. The only area that I know there are units in rental fleets is around Atlanta, GA. Might be a long commute for ya!
If you are interested in getting into a Turfco for less money check with local golf courses. We have been building the self-propelled model for over 40 years and up to about 15 years ago it was the industry standard for golf. The beauty of it is that they were only used about a week a year so many older machines have very few hours on them.

Best of luck.

Tim