PDA

View Full Version : High traffic damage?

the.hines
12-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Any idea of what to do to a yard that is starting to look pretty muddy from high traffic area? I was looking into maybe overseeding with some winter rye grass but I kind of need a quick fix for this one?

Thanks Shawn

the.hines
12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
This is just a little bump to the top...

shovelracer
12-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Sun or shade? Whats your average temps there? Is it light weight traffic or heavily compacted?

ericlemson
12-11-2007, 10:55 PM
rye is pretty fragile and wont stand up to the traffic. Might need to try another alternative. Unfortunatly without knowing more about the area, I cant suggest anything.

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 01:53 PM
yeh we need a little more detail. rye is not the answer at all.

the.hines
12-13-2007, 11:39 AM
It is going to be a full sun area. Temp are well it is Nashville TN. Soil seems to be a clay mixture. The high traffic area is from the dogs running around the yard. It seems they created trails down the fences. I think I would like to get some sod but I am not sure where to go this time of year? I don't need enough to go to the farm and buy a pallet.

ericlemson
12-13-2007, 08:26 PM
if there continues to be high traffic, then rye wont work. Bermuda sod would be a quick fix, but would eventially wear down as well. Might need to think up a different alternative, not involving turf.

DavisLawn
12-16-2007, 12:36 AM
i also have a yard like this and would like to hear advice from you guys... mine's in a shady yard... the drought and her WANTING to do the yard when its damp has been tough on the yard.... any ideas?

Stillwater
12-16-2007, 02:54 AM
the only problem I have with my lawn is the fact I can't see the dam thing under all this snow.....

RigglePLC
12-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Not sure if it is warm enough for rye grass--or did you mean actual grain winter rye. Either way I suspect you need temps above about 45 degrees for most of the day.

Does anybody have a suggested crop that would grow at temps below 45 degrees? Winter peas--maybe?

Try to spread out the dog traffic particularly when grass is dormant or soil is wet.

Put a few lawn chairs, picnic tables, bicycles, 57 plymouths on blocks --whatever you have--to block the path of the dogs and guide them to where you want. Change the pattern every week.

If you have to--put down flat paving stones in the heavily trafficked areas.

RigglePLC
12-21-2007, 11:14 PM
And...in better neighborhoods you may want to block the dogs pathe with something more decorative--potted plants or potted yew bushes for example.

You may wish to use the radio collars and buried wire fence--the traffic is more dispersed. The fence is not really needed. You can move the wire periodically to reduce concentrated traffic.

It may be a good source of income to install this kind of radio fence.

AmsoilPower
01-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Put a few lawn chairs, picnic tables, bicycles, 57 plymouths on blocks -- .

How about some old rusted out school buses sittin on the frames. They cover more ground and can act as a fence!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The 57 plymouths got me :laugh:

capetrees
01-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Is the yard fenced in? Is it a dogs area or a family area? If it's a family area, perhaps much or woodchips would be better along the fence line. It would stop the damage all together. You could also plant trees/shribs along the fence to stop the constant working of the fenceline and it would look nice as well as functional. Not a constant row of bushes which would actually just create another fenceline but intermittant shrubs or trees.

capetrees
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
and ericlemson, is that you, "clumpy"?

ericlemson
01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Clumpy? Nope.

the.hines
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Some great Ideas thanks everyone... I like the mulch or wood chip idea I think that might be the way we go. Try to make a walkway around teh yard as well... With out the dog poop

capetrees
01-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I knew a guy from north of Boston with the same name as you ericlemson years ago. Clumpy was his nickname. :laugh: