PDA

View Full Version : dual axle tire wear

grassmasterswilson
12-08-2007, 07:36 PM
I have a 16 foot dual axle trailer pulled by a chevy 2500 with a 2 in drop hitch. I usually carry two zero turn back to back or one zero turn in middle of the trailer. Everything seems to be pretty level cosidering the weight disturbution on the trailer.

Why do my back trailer tires wear so much worse than the front ones? It might even be 2 or 3 times faster tire wear. Any solutions?

LawnNeedz
12-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Probably because your rear axle has brakes on it. Mine does the same thing.

South Florida Lawns
12-08-2007, 09:40 PM
No it has nothing to do with the brakes. Unless you have flat spots.

The tires in the rear wear faster than the front because as you go around a corner you scrub the back tires (they drag sideways) and thus wear down faster. I usually get about a year out of my back tires but I hear guys getting only 3 months a set.

Best thing you can do is make wider turns this saves your truck tires up front too. Rotating will slow the wear down too.

Jusmowin
12-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Something doesnt sound right with your rear axel placement. Take a few measurements and see if your measurements are the same on both sides, hub to hub. Just an idea?

mdlwn1
12-08-2007, 11:47 PM
The responses here can make me laugh at times. South Florida said it right...and there's nothing else to it...The front axle is the primary...you can even put slightly taller tires on the front...helps a little. Have someone drive your truck and look at the trailer............

topsites
12-09-2007, 01:45 AM
You'll have to do the math, but in my case it's usually worth it to get a better tire, if it lasts longer vs. the cost, taking into account the labor and how often you have to take it in as well.

Looking Good Lawn Service
12-10-2007, 04:36 PM
The common issues with trailers with multiple axles is they drag around corners, they dont roll like your truck tires. This is very common on tractor trailers, especially when they do complete 360 degree turns to get in or out of a loading/unloading dock. This even happens with Tri-axle dump trucks, if they dont have steerable axles, they have to raise them when they go around tight corners, or else the truck will "hop" around the corner. Proper maintainance is key, check that your trailer is tracking straight, that you distribute the load evenly, and get the proper drop on your reese hitch adapter so all the weight is not on the rear axle. Also, the most important above all, proper PSI. If your trailer is in top mechanical condition, then every so often, when you start to notice wear, rotate your trailer tires, like you do to your truck. Good luck with your trailer, hope this helps.

NBI Lawn
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
The tires in the rear wear faster than the front because as you go around a corner you scrub the back tires (they drag sideways) and thus wear down faster. I usually get about a year out of my back tires but I hear guys getting only 3 months a set.

Best thing you can do is make wider turns this saves your truck tires up front too. Rotating will slow the wear down too.

Couldnt have said it better :clapping:. Watch your trailer tires when you turn (if you can do so safely), you can see them scrub durning tight turns

iseegreen
12-11-2007, 01:16 AM
5 year tire guy says South Florida Lawns and mdlwn1 are right. They all wear like crap. Sometimes its not always just the rear tires that wear faster. somtimes the right front will wear and the left rear will wear or the oppisite. There isnt much you can do.

Andyinchville
12-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Rear axle tires will wear faster....My ratio is about 2 sets of rear axle tires per front set.
Andrew