PDA

View Full Version : State paying for my Business, but i need help

moose203
12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
First off hello to all i am new to the site for posting but have been lurking around for awhile so here it goes.

I need a business plan format if anyone has one, don't need one to copy but an outline. I am in a very odd situation for most people but i will be getting funding from the state threw the State Vocational Rehabilitation Department, They help individuals with disabilities( i am a bellow the knee amputee) find gainful employment and small business start up. i am 30 yrs old and just recently left the fire department from being a front line fire fighter but the last few years i was there i cut grass like many other firemen do but had to stop cutting to keep city benefits for 2 yrs. any way i have about 1 yr left to get things in order ( plus the state is super slow) i have already passed all the preliminary steps. i still have all my other mowing equipment---48in WB, small trailer, trimmers and blowers. I will be employing 1 or 2 guys from the start and the funding will be in the 30,000.00 ball park. I want to offer full service estate care, what equipment do i need to ask for keeping in the above figure in mind. i also have a crew cab 1ton flat bed in good condition so i don't need a truck. Thanks for your help in advance, glad to finally be posting

Jason

Oak Forest Lawns
12-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Well it seems as though you have all of the basic equipment down, but will you be physically working? If you are then you are going to need a rider. People with 2 legs even have a hard time walking all day....

What services do you plan to offer? That will dictate what you need to purchase.

Do you need to pay the 30k back?

Grits
12-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Well it seems as though you have all of the basic equipment down, but will you be physically working? If you are then you are going to need a rider. People with 2 legs even have a hard time walking all day....

What services do you plan to offer? That will dictate what you need to purchase.

Do you need to pay the 30k back?

Most people that own Wb's also own sulkies. I think he would be fine on a sulky. Besides, he has one less foot to get tired.

echeandia
12-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Try this from the SBA :http://www.score.org/template_gallery.html

moose203
12-08-2007, 10:49 PM
i will be physically working for the first couple years, and a little after that. i used the sulky for 2 years as an amputee so no problems there i am just not going to ride one every day now. i want to do it all mowing, mulching, landscape, fall clean up, hardscape, irrigation, the works--i will work into stuff like hardscape and irrigation as it presents its self. i do not have to pay back the money, the state will buy the equipment so no tax in those regards. customer base will be residential and commercial.

Jason

moose203
12-09-2007, 01:49 AM
any one else?

wooley99
12-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Try the state small business office,
http://www.tsbdc.org/ there's one in Murfreesboro http://www.tsbdc.org/murfreesboro.htm

You should definitely visit your county extension agent
http://rutherford.tennessee.edu/

Both of the above are free, you can also check out your state's green industry association and see how they can help.
http://www.tnla.com/

And your state voc-rehab program should have lots of other agencies to connect you with.

moose203
12-11-2007, 10:56 AM
bump bump bump

bohiaa
12-11-2007, 11:04 AM
hay moose sorry to hear of your issue.

sometimes we people who have all our limbs, sure take health for granted.

I was thinking about your situwation all day. " I read your post yeaterday"

not sure how you want to structure the Co. But I personally know of 2 people who are owners that never get there hands dirty.

True you would have to put togather a team, hire someone who is trustworthey to run the outdoors part.

you then would be responsable for getting jobs to keep them busy.

you simply would be taking a managers type roll, this would allow you to take on diffrent types of jobs that otherwise you may not be able to handle.

doing this requires a little diffrent type of structure than most of us here used

We simply got a mower and went to work, and Grew from there.

It sounds like your on the right track, I have used several Government agencys from time to time for knowlege,

The programs are out there,

you would require more up front money's with taking longer to see a return.

Hope this helps you Good Luck

moose203
12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
bohiaa thanks for the reply , it's not that i don't want to get my hands dirty because i will, and i enjoy it but there will be a time that i will not be in the field every day and my role will be more administrative do to my leg problems. i really need some opinions about what i need one must have is ZT mower but other than that not sure. the county i live in can support a ton of mowing companies but there are just not a lot of do it all companies the work is there and i just want my share and get it though good old fashion hard work and a quality service for the money. lots of leaves to clean up and new construction for blank landscapes.

Jason

moose203
12-12-2007, 11:09 PM
any one else?

corey4671
12-13-2007, 02:14 PM
not a lot of advice from me, jsut want to chime in that YES rutherford county will support a TON of LCO's. it is a 45 minute drive for me to m'boro and I'm seriously considering trying to get in the game up there.

ed2hess
12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
I guess nobody is replying because it is not clear what you are looking for? You have been in the business so you know you need mowers, trimmers, blowers, trailer and truck. The biggest problem is getting people to work in the business....

Sundancekid74
12-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Here's the deal. Your first two years should come from used commercial grade walk behinds. Give your business a chance to suceed through money spent in marketing before diving in. I purchased a 36" Ransomes Bobcat and a 48" Scag for exactly $1000.00 (for both). My 14' trailor cost me $400.00 and my truck was paid for. I acquired 30 accounts in my first real year via door knockers/fliers that me and a couple of neighborhood girls passed out, door to door, for a fee of $.10 per flier (the girls); the company logo and knockers were made for roughly $200.00. I spent most of my profits in the first year accounting for payroll and maintenance on my truck and equipment. I would allow a buffer for future upgrades once my clientel and reputation was in the works. I too am disabled, however, I am fortunate/grateful to be high functioning. My business pays my office space towards a mortgage of a new home my girlfriend and I bought, my phone and internet bill, all my gas expenses, truck insurance, and any other business expenditures such as equipment maintenance expentures and purchases are made through my company. I rely on my SSI benefits for beer money along with a little help towards utilities and mortgage. It's all legal and the only way a guy in the same prediciment as me and you can succeed. We should keep in touch! I love what I do for a living and feel certain we could be of benefit in our future success. Thanks JoeDirt/SundanceKid (lawnsite.com)

moose203
12-13-2007, 11:07 PM
yeah i guess i really do know what to get i guess i was looking for some reassurance. only thing about the used equipment the state wont buy it the only buy new

Jason

STRINGALATION
12-16-2007, 02:55 AM
i say
matching hand tools - rakes hard and soft, hoes, shovels, shears, push brooms, dust pans, pruner, wheel barrels, measuring wheels
enclosed trailer - lettered and big enough to grow, dual axle for sure
power tools - big tiller, little tiller, hedge trimmer, bed edger, slit seeder, mini skid,
misc. - convert smaller trailer to mulch hauler,marketing, skid size water and pressure unit.
well that is just a rough idea to look at with the ala - carte point of view