PDA

View Full Version : 315 Mulcher head

GMUGNIER
12-09-2007, 12:45 PM
I went for a demo of the 312 and it definitely performed extremely well with a 287B - So I ordered the 315 - it arrived on Friday - will post results after I get to use it. - Also - I found out who makes the mulcher heads for CAT - it is FAE in Italy - any comments on this brand of mulcher?

bobcat_ron
12-09-2007, 01:17 PM
FAE is very good, Cat doesn't buy crap from other manufacturers and re-badge it.

P.Services
12-09-2007, 01:30 PM
its gota be better then a fecon thats all i have to say. fecon=sh!t

Digdeep
12-09-2007, 02:44 PM
its gota be better then a fecon thats all i have to say. fecon=sh!t

From what I hear Fecon is, or is very close to being a market share leader. I'm pretty sure that Bobcat used them in with the head they just came out with, ASV was using them on their RC100s and just released a proprietary head made by Fecon. They also use them on their dedicated brushcutting machines. I sure see plenty of them up here in Wisconsin. I don't have any specific interest, but what leads you to call them junk? I always like to hear others experiences with equipment. Do you do quite a bit of brushcutting?

P.Services
12-09-2007, 05:20 PM
From what I hear Fecon is, or is very close to being a market share leader. I'm pretty sure that Bobcat used them in with the head they just came out with, ASV was using them on their RC100s and just released a proprietary head made by Fecon. They also use them on their dedicated brushcutting machines. I sure see plenty of them up here in Wisconsin. I don't have any specific interest, but what leads you to call them junk? I always like to hear others experiences with equipment. Do you do quite a bit of brushcutting?

i have absolutely tore a fecon bullhog to pieces in two weeks,i dont think they are built heavy duty enough. i also dont like the design of the drum and teeth. i cant say i have run anything other then fecon every time i get a land clearing job i rent one.(i will run fae the next time) the teeth just dont cut at all its more of a blunt pounding they just hit the wood so hard it blows apart. this takes so much hp and hydraulic flow to keep going. i have heard people say if i swap greenteeth into it its a world of difference. we wont even talk about the ftx90 carrier unit that broke EVERY!!!! day, i didn't run the machine for a full day it broke soooooo much. i will get some good pics of the work and the machine (stuck in a swamp) on here. i did a test of my posting abilities: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=59514&page=30

GMUGNIER
12-09-2007, 08:26 PM
FAE is very good, Cat doesn't buy crap from other manufacturers and re-badge it.

Well you must not be very well versed in this particular attachment - because there is not a single doubt in the world as to where the mulcher heads are made - and then re branded - you should do more homework before spouting off...

P.Services
12-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Well you must not be very well versed in this particular attachment - because there is not a single doubt in the world as to where the mulcher heads are made - and then re branded - you should do more homework before spouting off...

he means that if it was garbage cat would not put there name on it. he dosent mean that fae doesnt make it.

GMUGNIER
12-09-2007, 08:54 PM
he means that if it was garbage cat would not put there name on it. he dosent mean that fae doesnt make it.

O - ok well I guess I just misunderstood - so sorry bout that - but anyway - I can assure you that it is not crap - I demoed the 312 and the attachment that was in use had not failed or broke even once in the 400 hours of use it had on it - the owner said the only thing he had to replace was one tooth because he hit a t-post - no biggie... he said he would buy it again, and again - he loves it...

P.Services
12-09-2007, 08:58 PM
are you going to run an aux. oil cooler? do you have the lexan door?

bobcat_ron
12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
What I also meant was Cat won't do business with companies products they sell if those products are crap, here our Cat dealership does business with FAE, Allu, ASV, Promac and Stanley, just to name a few names.

YellowDogSVC
12-09-2007, 10:31 PM

CAT has a few changes on the FAE design but it is very, very similar to a stock FAE head. I have run an HM 312 for 13 months. I have changed only 1 tooth in 13 months and I work in rocky conditions. Just checked the belts this weekend and they were good, too, after a year.
I grease every day and sometimes every 4 hours. I run my CAT head on a Bobcat s300k and use the secondary auxillary hydrualics to open and close the trap door. Disconnected the CAT electrical harness. Though the Bobcat and CAT have different GPM's and pressures, my Bobcat is nearly within specs of the HM 312 recommended flow and performs very well. To me that makes a versatile attachment. I can't say enough how well built the HM312 is and I am critical of things like that. There are a few things I need to modify but they are very minor and don't affect the performance of the machine. Mostly maintenance items. Attachment is very heavy, however. You will feel it on your machine.

YellowDogSVC
12-09-2007, 10:37 PM

If you don't have lexan, the HM 312 CAN kill you. It is bad about ejecting material under the machine and out the back of the head due to the angle of attachment. I have destroyed a Bobcat door threshold and have a few good, deep nicks on my Lexan. I only use 1/4" lexan. Have had a HELL of an impact in the past and it survived and protected me. Glass will last a second or two if it ejects a hard piece of wood, rock, or worse, metal from a fence or other source.

It grinds very fine and thus will make material that is very small and will clog a radiator. I recommend having an air compressor on site to gently blow out the radiators.

aliving
12-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Have run the Fecon BH62 with 1100 hours on it no malfunctions to date. Recently purchased a Bradco Magnum mulcher. The Bradco is more productive, have 150 hrs on it, but is not as heavy duty as Fecon. But the Bradco spins almost twice as fast and the teeth have more cutting ability than the fecon teeth. By the way the Bradco is in the shop for warranty repairs as I write. But we are running the Bradco on a Cat 272C and the fecon on a Mustang 2086. (might be the difference in the production)

bobcat_ron
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but you (Yellow Dog) can interchange the mulcher head between the Bobcat and Cat, are you not worried about oil contamination? Cat uses a red colored oil whereas Bobcat used a tan yellow.
My sales rep warned me not to mix the two together because Bobcat's/Cat's was a different viscosity and type.

YellowDogSVC
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but you (Yellow Dog) can interchange the mulcher head between the Bobcat and Cat, are you not worried about oil contamination? Cat uses a red colored oil whereas Bobcat used a tan yellow.
My sales rep warned me not to mix the two together because Bobcat's/Cat's was a different viscosity and type.

I run the bobcat orange oil. When you think about it, contamination shouldn't be an issue. What about all the rental attachments out there? Besides, there wasn't much oil left in the attachment by the time we switched out couplers and such. It has been a smooth running attachment. Could use a bit more torque but I think that is Bobcat's problem with much lower psi. I really, really like the attachment and would only change a couple of things for maintenance and maybe slightly change the angle of attachment to the bobtach. Was supposed to start about 5-7 days of grinding this am but awoke to rain so I guess I will have to do something else.

GMUGNIER
12-10-2007, 11:23 AM

Aux Oil cooler not required - machine and attachment are designed for each other - no over heating problems at all. - Yes I have a polycarb door however - I dont feel it is thick enough - will have to do some more reasearch on this problem..

P.Services
12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Aux Oil cooler not required - machine and attachment are designed for each other - no over heating problems at all. - Yes I have a polycarb door however - I dont feel it is thick enough - will have to do some more reasearch on this problem..

you could have a metal screen made for the front of it. i feel alot better with that instead of just lexan. i broke the 1/2'' piece of lexan in the fecon even through the metal screen. it makes me feel a lot safer.

YellowDogSVC
12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
And just be careful. The missiles can kill you. I only use 1/4" lexan which is what Bobcat used to sell. They now use 3/4". That's thick and expensive for something that scratches easily. My 1/4" is supposed to be rated at 300mph impact. I had a small piece of fence get ejected and that small piece nearly burned a hole all the way through the 1/4" lexan but it stopped it. I try and keep the mower low unless I am sure nothing will get ejected (like milling a tall cedar stump where only strips come off). Anything hard that could dislodge carbide from a tooth or even a tooth or holder being ejected could do quite a bit a damage so I always try and keep that in mind.

GMUGNIER
12-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Well went to use the 315 head and lo and behold the hydraulic lines were too short, and were not CAT brand - Also in the literature that I received as it related to the 315 - the hoses were supposed to be heavy duty XT3 so while they are installing the debris guards and other items that came with the debris kit to prevent sawdust from getting in the machine and clogging the filters and such - they are also ordering the correct type of hoses - has anyone else had a problem like this? I have always been happy with CAT equipment - the only thing that myself or the dealer can conclude is that FAE simply forgot to install the correct hoses. But they are definitely working to correct the solution.

YellowDogSVC
12-14-2007, 02:36 PM
I routinely get hoses put on backwards, couplers reversed, etc., with a check marks and literature stating the unit was tested. Everything was reversed on my 315 when I got it but I fixed it. It was tested but I guess they didn't notice it was running backwards!

I just picked up a new grapple from bobcat that was "tested". It worked backwards which means that the universal switch that operates all bobcat attachments had to be pushed the other way to open and close which is not "normal" yet it was checked off as tested. I had to change couplers in the field which is always messy.

let us know how it runs. I love my 312