PDA

View Full Version : oil weight question

scottm1
12-09-2007, 01:36 PM
What weight oil is recommended in my 29 HP Kawasaki. Should I use straight 30W or 10W30?

Restrorob
12-09-2007, 04:49 PM
You can use either, If you choose 10W30 check the oil level more often per Kawasaki.

badluck
12-09-2007, 10:03 PM
i have a 25 horse kawaski and i was intending to put 15w40 diesel oil in it at first oil change. i have been using this oil in kawaski motorcycle for 6 years with no trouble. is ther anything wrong with this idea?

bigmower1
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Here is what i do when I put oil in my mowers. First of all you should not use oil with that high of a rating, especially if it is cold because it will probably damage the bearings or the oil rings. What I do sounds crazy but it works perfectly. Figure out how much oil goes into the engine and buy Mobil One 15w50 oil and 10w30 Mobil One oil and Duralube. Get the 15,000 mile oil, the good stuff if you can. Put a little bit shy of half of each into the motor and then add a few ounces of the Duralube. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember and I never had any mechanical trouble with any of my four cycle engines, and some of them have over 4000 thousand hours on them and still run perfectly and look like new on the inside. The only thing i ocationally have to do is change the head gaskets every 1200 or 15000 hours of use because they simply wear out. I put a high quality synthentic filter on the engine(one of the Fram oil filters will fit it). I only change the oil two times a year. Once in the beginning and once in the middle of the season. You can change it more often if you want, but it isn't necessary, because the oil holds up very well, even in hot weather. Thats what I do and it works.

topsites
12-11-2007, 04:15 AM
It took a few years and I'm still between a couple of grades, but my eventual goal is to use the SAME oil in everything.

I am tired of the guessing and trying to remember what machine takes what, I got two cars and a truck and three mowers and then another 3-4 machines all need oil changes, then sometime after the change one needs a quart and the bs starts all over again...

Once the conversion is complete everything of mine will run 10w30 synthetic.
Just happens to be my oil and grade of choice, you decide but that's what I'm doing, same grade and oil in every single machine.

Stillwater
12-16-2007, 03:11 AM
i have a 25 horse kawaski and i was intending to put 15w40 diesel oil in it at first oil change. i have been using this oil in kawaski motorcycle for 6 years with no trouble. is ther anything wrong with this idea?

First oil change? omg, yes big time wrong, Kawi wants straight 30 weight unless you are in sub freezing temps. put that in and kawi will know at blown motor warranty inspection time

Tharrell
12-26-2007, 07:30 AM
I'd just like to point out that the motorcycle shares the oil with the transmission. Tony

steve45
12-26-2007, 08:09 PM
The first number gives the viscosity when cold, the second when hot. the 10W will make it easier to start and will allow the pump to start pumping oil sooner. I use multiviscosity oils in everything.

I would NOT use a Fram filter on anything! If you ever cut one open, you'll see why. Fram was a good brand years ago, but they've made them as cheap as possible now so they can sell them at Wal-Mart.

roguesuerte
12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
In Spring and Fall I use 10W30. Hot parts of Summer and Winter I move to synthetics for the improved viscosity 15w40(I think).

Restrorob
12-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Kawi wants straight 30 weight unless you are in sub freezing temps.

Just to clear the air.....

FB Series Engines;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FB460OilChart.jpg

FC/FD and FH Series Engines;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FCFDAndFHSeriesOilChart.jpg

FJ Series Engines;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FJOilChart.jpg

As Posted, Either 10W30 or 30W can be used.