PDA

View Full Version : Sod Work

sines of lawncare
12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I had a potentially new customer approach me and ask if I could sod or seed his new built home? I am assuming since his sidewalk and driveway are about 5" above the existing turf (shale) I would have to sod it. here is my dilema.... I dont get that far into the business and dont have a clue as to how to bid it or even how to do it as i have never sodded or seeded. but would like to do it myself and keep other potential bidders out of the loop, it is in an awsome area and could probably get a few more lawns in the area ( brand new well to do sub division) could someone please give me some tips on how to sod and how to bid it as well.

much appreciated!!!!!!!

P.Services
12-09-2007, 07:35 PM
finish grade, add topsoil if needed, laysod like carpet squares,green side up, cut to fit, roll sod,
very very simple. materials + labor + profit= your price

dKoester
12-09-2007, 07:48 PM
8-10 bucks a yard.

sines of lawncare
12-09-2007, 07:52 PM
(shale) I am assuming i should put some top soil down before i put the sod down? instead of laying it on the shale? also do you price it per square foot, per piece, top soil, thanks for the response, sorry, I am such an idiot when it comes to doing things out of my little circle. I figure the only DUMB question is one that is not asked.

Lugnut
12-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Yes, you will need to spread some topsoil over the shale before sodding, pricing is usually based per square foot

yardmanlee
12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
priced by sq ft. top soil extra we get .75 to 1.00 sq ft depending on the job conditions

Big Bad Bob
12-10-2007, 02:13 AM
(shale) I am assuming i should put some top soil down before i put the sod down? instead of laying it on the shale? also do you price it per square foot, per piece, top soil, thanks for the response, sorry, I am such an idiot when it comes to doing things out of my little circle. I figure the only DUMB question is one that is not asked.

Not a slam but it doesn't sound like you have a clue. It would be hard for anyone on lawnsite to actually walk you through every step as there are a lot of variables.
Maybe you should work for a company that lays sod for a little while. If you don't know what you are doing you could make mistakes that could cost you a bunch of money and do irreparable damage to your reputation.

sines of lawncare
12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
B B B,
No slam taken. I was going to try to cut out the middle man but I think I will take your advice and hire it out and maybe ask if i can help out.

Fordsuvparts
12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I think you should hire it out and then work with the company that lays the sod so that you can learn to lay it yourself. You can call it on the Job training.