PDA

View Full Version : redmax blower problem (please help)

Evans Lawn Service
12-09-2007, 07:04 PM
OK i ask in the other forum but how do you get the spring back in the recoil assembly please help.......this thing is driving me crazy:mad:

Mowingman
12-09-2007, 08:02 PM
It is not worth the aggrevation. Just go buy a complete recoil assy. That is what I do ,and be done with it.

J&R Landscaping
12-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Once the spring pops out, its a long shot to get it back together correctly! The new assemblies are not that expensive.

ed2hess
12-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Take a screw driver and hook the center tab of the spring on and then wind it until you get it small enough to slip in place. The springs on echo come with a retainer that captures the spring and allows easy installation then you keep the retainer....go get one from a dealer. Why did you take the spring out, it isn't necessary to replace the pulley at least not on Echo.

Evans Lawn Service
12-09-2007, 10:14 PM
well the pull rope was sticking when i pull on it so i tried to take it apart so i could put some grease on the little shaft to see if it would fix it and soon as i took the screw out it all came out:hammerhead:

bigmower1
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
It Is Very Easy To Put The Recoil Spring Back Into The Pully Case. What You Do Is Get A Small Plastic Cup And A Needle Nose Vise Grip And Grab The Inside Of The Spring Just Before The Bend At The End And Wind The Spring Into The Cup. After It Is All Wound In The Cup Get A Screw Driver And Slightly Pry The Spring So You Can Fit A Small Zip Tie And Slip It Into The Oputside Under The Coils And Into The Inside. Zip Tie The End Of The Outside Hook To The Inside Of The Spring And Pull The Tie Really Tight. Make Sure That The Tie Is Against The Bend On The Outside And The Inside Bend. Then Carefully Pull The Spring Out And Make Sure You Put It Back In The Pull Assembly The Right Way And Snug It Tightly Down Inside. There Will Be A Lot Of Space Because The Spring Is Smaller Than The Case So Make Sure You Have The Spring Really Tight Against The Bottom Of The Case And The Hook On The Outside Of The Spring Is In Place. Once This Is Done Hold The Spring Down With Your Fingers Tightly And Cut The Zip Tie And Slowly Un-coil The Spring. Sometime When You Do This The Inside Bend Might Get A Little Knocked Out Of Alignment So Just Carefully Ever So Slightly Bend The Spring As Close To The Pully Holder Shaft (the Part Where You Put The Screw In) And Then Put Your Pully Back On.

ed2hess
12-10-2007, 07:13 PM
well the pull rope was sticking when i pull on it so i tried to take it apart so i could put some grease on the little shaft to see if it would fix it and soon as i took the screw out it all came out:hammerhead:

Usually if you flush them out with carb cleaner and air they will free up...not supposed to use grease or oil on them. I have had that happen a few times to me when I raised the pulley to replace it.

Evans Lawn Service
12-10-2007, 09:18 PM
thank you guys for your post and thank you bigmower1 i will try that tomorrow night:)

bigmower1
12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
It might take a few tries to get the zip tie onto the spring in the cup, but you will be able to do it. Sometimes you might have to cut a knotch out of the cup to get the zip tie around the spring if necessary.

topsites
12-11-2007, 03:13 AM
It's probably busted if you had to take it apart to oil it, just get a new one and remember they install fully wound!

You can try needle nose vise grips, that might work...
But I'd still buy a new spring, sooner or later you'll need it anyhow.
And see you might as well replace it at that point :laugh: