PDA

View Full Version : Saw Hummer on Ebay

MikeKle
12-09-2007, 11:46 PM
I was on Ebay earlier and saw a Hummer H1(not the H2,which is a joke and should not be allowed to carry the Hummer badge!) I believe it was a mid 90's pickup truck type with 8 ft bed and standard cab,it was going for $15000. That would be the ultimate work truck! I remember seeing a guy here last winter plowing snow with one. I have noticed the H1 has been coming down in price quite a bit the past couple years. I saw the pickup truck type up close at a dealers years ago and I have never seen such a tough built truck! They are massive and easily put an F-550 to shame! One other thing,why do all these people buy the H2? I dont think they even offer a diesel option! They drop $40-50K on an H2 when they could easily get a real Hummer used for that price! And now there is the H3,which GM has admitted is mainly marketed for women,makes me laugh when I see a guy driving one!

Swampy
12-10-2007, 01:06 AM
H1's and Hummev's are a good 1 1/4 ton truck. As a work truck its possible. Just don't get a Up armor one unless you feel like drilling through 3/4 harden steel.

moose203
12-10-2007, 01:33 AM
H1 are no longer available new to the public but the truck style has always been cheaper, you are right it would make an awesome work truck

Jason

lwcmattlifter
12-10-2007, 06:01 AM
I doubt the H1 can tow as much as a 1 ton big block or diesel.

MarcSmith
12-10-2007, 07:31 AM
2006 hummer H1 Alpha . The Duramax/Allison package ups the H1 towing capacity to 9,500 pounds—or nearly 2,000 pounds more than the ’05 model. Now H1 owners can safely tow their 28-foot Scarabs to the lake without fear of holding up traffic other than the looky loo’s who’ll be staring with rapt envy.

pretty sad when a $30K 5.7 l toyota tundra will legally out tow a vehicle worth 6 figures....

as a work truck the H1 would suck balls....even with the pickup bed. it still cannot haul as much volume or weight wise as a standard "1/2" ton truck...

Gross Combined Weight Rating for the H1 (the sum of vehicle, maximum cargo and towing capacities) is 17,300 pounds.

don't get me wrong--there is a "way cool factor" involved but for 99% of the people...its a completely useless peice of equipment. Its pretty bad whenthe rear passenger seats are smaller and more confining that those on a Coach class airfare seat...Got vaseline...

lwcmattlifter
12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Wonder if the 1/2 ton towing capacity has to do with the central axle braking system? 2 brakes vs 4.

MarcSmith
12-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I doubt it. most larger trailer have their own brakes.... and in most braking situations the front brakes are doing all the work...

I wonder if it has to do with the frame setup and lac of reinforcement in the rear of the vehicle? or the height of the frame off the ground?????

It looks like it could tow a tank..., and I imagine it probably could.... provided it did not have too much tounge weight...

its really a waste of a duramax and allison combo........

Tadams
12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
A friend of mine has a an original Hummer. I think that it is a 1997 1/2 year model. He has put a ton of money in this piece of junk. They made a lot of changes to the 98 year model but the price went up drastically! He builds bridges and walls for golf courses and he bought it to use as a work truck ( plus he got into an argument with his brother-in-law about who would get their toy first-Hummer-him; corvette-in law- He won with the hummer) He doesn't pull any trailers with it- only uses it to drive out in the muddy areas. He has put 4 trannys in it and had tons of engine work on it. It goes through tires like they are made out of jello. Not too many shops will even look at one to work onit. The least he has spent was $2500at one time. It is usually around 5-7K! Ya'll can keep the hummers! His may just be a lemon but I wouldn't have one!

topsites
12-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Yeah well they're coming out with an H3 for 2008

I like D slt laramies / F xlt lariats thou, don't need anything fancier.

supercuts
12-11-2007, 06:36 AM
this is one of the most impractical ideas ive heard of

TXNSLighting
12-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah well they're coming out with an H3 for 2008

huh? theres already a H3...

AintNoFun
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
i dont care what anybody says, that h1 is one mean truck. you ever watch some of the muddin videos they do with those. im impressed....

shovelracer
12-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Why not look for a good duece. I think with either you need to have some good mechanics skills. I was always under the impression that the early civilian H1s were underpowered and slow. $0.02