PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Kombi - Which Powerhead?

ScagSteve
12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Hello everyone,

I own the Stihl BR600 blower and love the power and comfort that it brings to the table. I am looking to pick up a Stihl Kombi system and am unsure as to the best choice of powerhead for my needs. Here are the attachments that I see myself buying:

Immediately
-----------
String Trimmer
Brush Cutter
Straight-Shaft Edger

Future?
-------
Pole Pruner
Cultivator
Hedge Trimmer
Sweeper (possibly)

Given that the BR600 is the most powerful Stihl backpack, and folks love its power as much as I do, I was leaning towards the KM-130R (the biggest Kombi powerhead). Unfortunately, they are backordered for weeks and I am wondering whether I should just get the KM-110. The cost difference is not an issue.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks!
-Steve

BeautifulBlooms
12-11-2007, 01:18 AM
I have the KMP-90, it does ok for just about everything (I have the string trimmer, headge trimmer, pole pruner, edger)> I do think it could use a little more power so maybe the KM110 would be better and the 130 even better for the edger and hedge trimmer and power pruner???? I dont know how much heavier the bigger engines are but trying to use the articulating hedgetrimmer at waist height tires me out real fast.

ScagSteve
12-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks BeautifulBlooms --

The dealer was trying to sell me the KM-90, saying that many landscape outfits use them, but the last thing I want is to buy something that could use a little more power. By the same token, the added weight will make the easier jobs harder then they should be (tough tradeoff). I definitely appreciate you sharing your experience.

Anyone use the KM-110 and wish you had the KM-130? Or, is the KM-130 really overkill? :confused:

Please let me know -
Thanks!
-Steve

B. L. Landscaping
12-11-2007, 01:40 PM
I have two km110 's and they are great we use them with the brush cutter to cut catails down in a ditch that we can not mow, never had a problem plenty of power. We have the brush cutter, line trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer they are all great machines. I did not know they made a 130 when we bought they only made a 110 and a smaller one.

BostonBull
12-12-2007, 07:44 PM
I would get the 110 or the 130. They both have magnesium crankcases as opposed to platic, and the weight gains arent that bad.

ARGOS
12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Regarding the attachments...I use the Tanaka Smart Fit combination set. I have the pole saw, extension, hedger, edger, and string trimer. I also carry a dedicated Stihl string trimmer and Tanaka brusher.

With that said we use the edger 75% of the time and the hedger 20% of the time, and the pole saw 5% of the time.

I run a landscape maintenance company.

Tahoe1889
12-31-2007, 04:24 PM
I have the KM 110R work great plenty of power Use it for my Lone Trimmer Hedger Trimmer, straight shaft edger and my pole saw with 1 extension

john_incircuit
12-31-2007, 09:12 PM
We have the FS 110. I think it has plenty of power for hedge trimming, string trimming and brush knife work. You have to walk slow establishing an edge for the very first time in our heavy clay soil, but it is working fine.

The only time when I really wish we would have more power is when we shred leaf "mountains" with the trimmer and the string is fairly long. This got to be the most hp consuming task.

Especially for hedge work, don't go with a heavy unit. The 20 inch articulated blade on the long shaft will wear you out. If you do a lot of hedge work, go with a dedicated unit. Most of the time, we use the fixed angle blade.

GravelyNut
12-31-2007, 09:48 PM
I have the smallest one they make, KM 55. It runs the pole saw and hedge trimmer without problems. It does start lacking when it comes to the weed eater head. Most around here run the 110 version and don't have much problems. Sales are about 4 to 1 for the 110 vs the 130. Most homeowners go with the 90.

Yuanding
06-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Stihl have brought out a blower attachment (KM BG) to fit all their Kombi engines. I have got the Km130R with blower attachment, hedgetrimmer, and trimmer heads. The blower on the KM130R is pretty good, but I've only had it a few weeks and will have to wait a few months to try it out on some serious leaves. I find it works better if you fit the flat, slightly curved nozzle that is available as an accessory.