PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for Minis, Garlands and Natural Roping

LongIslander
12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi All,

Have been scouring the posts and see that most guys are doing c-7 or c-9 lights... I used minis.

I just completed my first holiday decorating job for an existing client and have to put their bill together.

I used Village Lightings lighted garlands for indoors and their minis wrapped around natural garlands for outside. Problem is I am not sure how to price the stuff, nor how to list it on my invoice.

For example, I used 18 strands of the lighted garland indoors, my cost about $40 per 9' run. Then on top of that I embellished some strands with bows, Christmas ornament picks or artificial fruit, that kind of thing... adding to my cost. So do I list is at X dollars per foot and then add labor, or XX dollars per foot installed? And what is X? Does this then include the extension cords I had to make, as well as the clips, wires, etc to hold everything where it needs to stay?

Outdoors I used natural roping. Front door consisted of a doubled up strand of Boxwood, Pine and Cedar roping (50' total - $55 cost) which I wrapped with 2 sets of minis. ($14 cost) I also added some decorative ornaments, etc as well as some added greens to make the garland even thicker. (about $15 more)

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you can make as far as costs and how to actually list the line items - per foot? per item? itemized down to the extension cord? etc, etc?

Thanks so much for your help!

Margaret

colawn
12-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Per foot on garland. I have heard anywhere from 7 to 12 a foot.

turf hokie
12-11-2007, 08:08 AM
I base my prices on per foot for garland and per light on mini's. Just how we do it. But I never give the customer those breakdowns. Someday one of them will get a tape measure out and say I charged them for 10 feet but only installed 8. Dont think it wont happen.
I usually just say garland around the door with lights x dollars.

I sold fresh garland with lights wrapped in it but no other decorations for about $12 per foot including removal and disposal.

I would say figure it like you would any other job. Labor, materials, markup, profit.

I'm surprised you did the job without having to give a quote.

David Gretzmier
12-13-2007, 02:31 AM
I sell my garland per piece installed, It is also 9 feet, it comes prelit and is the Holiday Bright Lights mixed noble. I was at 85 per piece this year, but will go to 95 per piece next year. I don't typically embellish the garland, so no clue what you should charge for that. my price includes all cords.