PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Clean Up Process

Cashcrazy
12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I have had some new people calling wanting leaf clean up. The few lawns I maintain stay mulched so I havent had to do much with leaves. I am trying to find the most efficient process. I was thinking blow the leaves in 1 pile and then start bagging? It is just this seasons worth of build up. I need some suggestions!

grasskicker71
12-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Do a search.There is 100 ways to do it depending on the equipment you have.You might want to at least use your mower to chop the leaves up a bit before you bag them. It will cut total volume at least in half.

Frue
12-11-2007, 08:50 AM
blow them in a powel rake and tarp then bag up the rest unless you have some other cleaning machines like a sucker ect.

topsites
12-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't, will NOT, bag leaves.
It's just very inefficient, if I have to bag them I might as well haul them, even at 170-185 a trailer load I can just about guarantee it's cheaper. To me it takes a LOT less time to tarp up a dozen 8x10 tarps than it would to bag 30 lawn bags worth.
Including the cleanup I can load a full 6x12x2 trailer in about 2 hours, a full load weighs anywhere from 400 to 1,300 pounds, just depends. The trailer fits anywhere from 12 to 14 (8x10) tarp fulls.
That's at LEAST 20 lawn bags worth, we're talking 4-5 minutes per bag, it wouldn't be so bad but you gotta shove them in there and compress them. Granted I have to push and compress the leaves on the trailer too, but what gets time consuming is having to stuff leaves in there by hand, at least on the trailer I just walk all over them for a bit.

So...
Put them in a pile with the blower(s), then either tarp and rake...
Or a lot of times I keep using the push blower and take them into the woods.
Or haul them away.

delphied
12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
That's at LEAST 20 lawn bags worth, we're talking 4-5 minutes per bag, it wouldn't be so bad but you gotta shove them in there and compress them. Granted I have to push and compress the leaves on the trailer too, but what gets time consuming is having to stuff leaves in there by hand, at least on the trailer I just walk all over them for a bit.

I mow them into a long pile with the Zturn and back over them a few times to mulch em up with the Zturn. I then collect em with the Accelerator and baggem. After mulching them, you only need a few bags per yard,and you dont have to compress them much either. That has to be alot faster than hauling them.

lawnpro724
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
We have a commercial walkbehind lawn vac 9hp w/ chipper and what we do if customer request that we bag is, take the bag off the walkbehind and put our homemade discharge chute on. Then we blow the leaves into a big pile and use the hose attachment on the walkbehind to suck the leaves up. The homemade discharge chute blows the mulched up leaves right into the bag. Filling the bags takes very little time and mulching them up first takes less bags. This is the fastest way I have found to fill bags for curb pickup.

ed2hess
12-11-2007, 07:34 PM
In Texas you don't need to mess around with them.....simply mulch them up and be on your way. If they want to pay extra(and they never do) take a bagger machine-after mulching them 5 times- and bag them. Don't start blowing it makes it harder to mulch, only blow out beds after you get lawn mulched.

mow town
12-11-2007, 09:14 PM
It was suggested to me to look into a Cyclone Rake. I did and bought one. The Extreme model because it was more geared for commercial use. This was my first Fall using it and I have been impressed. Go online and Google cyclone rake. It's worth looking at.