PDA

View Full Version : Licensed and Insured in South FLA

JROCK
12-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Newbie here...I'm sure it's been beat to death. But when companies say they are licensed and insured, what does that mean exactly?? Tell me if I'm wrong but insured means general liabilty insurance, right? What does the license involve?

steampro
12-12-2007, 01:06 AM
im not sure, but in my opinion, and where i live i think its a better idea to be unlicensed and un insured like 90% of the competition, as with licensing and insurance comes more cost=higher prices=less jobs,,,

JROCK
12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Any other responses??

Maitland Man
12-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Yep, you nailed it on the head...GL policy and an occupational license (or a tax receipt as they call it here in seminole county now......

shane mapes
12-12-2007, 11:37 PM
im not sure, but in my opinion, and where i live i think its a better idea to be unlicensed and un insured like 90% of the competition, as with licensing and insurance comes more cost=higher prices=less jobs,,,

this is why this type of career is full of idiots.... you need to be lic. and insured . if you make a mistake or shot a rock out from under your mower and it hits a kid across the street and kills the kid, then what. think about things be for you jump out in to bus. without a clue...anything you do in this line of work you need to protect yourself against the idiots out their as well... as far as lic. go to your local city hall and get info on the requirements for your local city rules. i assume steampro you don;t have workmen's comp. or auto insurance as well. probably a lawsuit looking to happen...........

Patriot Services
12-13-2007, 10:06 PM
The customers I want calling me are the ones who realize the difference. I am not willing to risk losing everything I have worked for, business, home, security, retirement. My GL costs me 1200 a year for 5mil coverage. It is a write off as an expense. The fine in my county for be unlicensed is 25000$ plus they confiscate your truck and all equipment and turn you over to the IRS to finish you off. By the way my license cost 16.00. So for 1260.00 a year I can claim to be legitimate business owner-operator and I can sleep at night.

steampro
12-13-2007, 11:40 PM
this is why this type of career is full of idiots.... you need to be lic. and insured . if you make a mistake or shot a rock out from under your mower and it hits a kid across the street and kills the kid, then what. think about things be for you jump out in to bus. without a clue...anything you do in this line of work you need to protect yourself against the idiots out their as well... as far as lic. go to your local city hall and get info on the requirements for your local city rules. i assume steampro you don;t have workmen's comp. or auto insurance as well. probably a lawsuit looking to happen...........

yea ive killed alot of kids by shooting rocks at them through my lawn mower:gunsfirin

shane mapes
12-13-2007, 11:50 PM
yea ive killed alot of kids by shooting rocks at them through my lawn mower:gunsfirin

anything can happen you need to be protected from the public as well. being in business for your self also includes being prepare legally for the worst. unlic. and uninsured is not the way to go and make a good American wage..

TheLandyman
12-15-2007, 06:04 PM
ok so i have 1 million dollar general liability insurance already, but when you guys say license, what kind of license should i be getting?

cpel2004
12-15-2007, 06:13 PM
You need to check with your local municipality, here in FL you only need to have a city and county business license(tax) to be able to cut lawns. However if you want to cut trees and apply pesticides etc you need a designated license for the part of your business, that shows your a able in your ability to do and perform a professional job. They want to see a paper trail of your experience and training.

TheLandyman
12-15-2007, 06:36 PM
ok well i guess i know whats first on my list monday morning :)

jmfoxllc
12-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Thats right cpel2004, in louisiana you have to have an occupational license i just found out, and to do tree's over 14' high you have to have an arbors license "Which is a pain in the a^z to get. This spring i have to drive all the way to orlando to take my new test. Isnt that stupid. But i have to do it for my services.

PascoPropMaint
12-17-2007, 11:00 AM
For a recent example, I was doing a job a few days ago in a neighborhood filled with $500k+ houses. The homeowner had lava rock instead of mulch in the back yard. While getting close to the house with the line trimmer, I slung one of those lava rocks about 30 feet into a wooden privacy fence - sounded like a gun went off. Now, I had always been one of those guys that figured if you're careful, something like that wouldn't happen. It just goes to show... that rock could have easily hit a person, window, Jaguar, etc.