PDA

View Full Version : How about a mini skid-steer business?

GreenHor7
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I was wondering of everyone's thought on purchasing a mini skid and create a business using this machine solely. These machines seem unique and seem to be very useful in certain situations. I was wondering if you guys think that it would be useful to buy on of these and sub-contact my self out.

RockSet N' Grade
12-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Maybe.....answer me this: what is the market you are targeting? What kind of work is available to do in your area? What kind of equipment do other operators in your area have? Who do you know that needs your service? My idea would be for you to back into the business by asking these questions and then find a piece or pieces of equipment to fill that need. Long story short, sure you could/can make a living off a mini-skid or any other piece of equipment for that matter, if you fill a need and void in the market. Just trying to back you into this equation in a little different manner.......good luck.

tnmtn
12-11-2007, 04:10 PM
rock is leading you the right way. i have a dingo and it is a great machine. however, as the ad says it is like a couple employees. make sure you don't put the cart before the horse. if you need to hire a couple employees maybe you could get by with a dingo instead. if you don't need the employees i doubt you are ready for the dingo. test the water by getting jobs and renting as needed. that will give you a better feel for if it will work.
good luck,

ksss
12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
It would seem difficult to me make money simply doing very light excavation jobs with it. Unless you are doing something like paver installs or small yard installs, but to not have a specfic area to concentrate on it would seem very difficult. Every area is different maybe where your at it would go, but you get very hungry in this area.

daysel
12-18-2007, 09:45 AM
I think you want to contract yourself out, not subcontract yourself.
I say no. You'd probably be better off just renting one when you need it, unless you have so much work/ laborers that it would be worth it to buy.
Good luck,

tallrick
12-18-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't see the need either, unless you get contracts from builders or apartment owners who are doing landscape work/placing pavers in really tight areas. I did encounter a Dingo owner who purchased it just to work on a condo conversion job. The openings to the courtyards were too small for just about any other machine.