PDA

View Full Version : Finish your clean-ups now people!

lawnguyland
12-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I know it's easier said than done and everyone is working as fast and as hard as they can, but if you need anymore incentive it looks as though the weather is going to get miserable here in the Northeast starting thurs and then into the weekend. I know in lots of the country there is ice and misery already or snow and it's too late, but boys and girls not done with clean-ups yet best get crackin over the nexrt few days, rain or shine. Then put your plows on or rev up your snowblowers....have fun everyone...

grapeford
12-11-2007, 10:15 PM
My plow is on and my Clean-up truck is sitting waiting with the enclosed box and my truck loader. Tomorrow and Thursday *(hopefully) are the last shot at getting 8-10 clean-ups done. If you're not a weekly customer, see you in the spring. Looks like we've got some serious **** coming in late Thursday and then a big one late Sunday.... Go Pats !

lawnguyland
12-12-2007, 06:36 AM
What? Go Pats? Booooooooooo. J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets....I know, they bite. Have fun plowing!

mowing grass 1111
12-12-2007, 07:57 AM
HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohhhhhh looks like Terry Glenn is going be back for the playoffs he was running routes and catching passes last friday. Romo , Glenn, TO , Whiten and Barber = superbowl WIN number 6

mdlwn1
12-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Thank gosh you told us...because no one could have known that they should finish their cleanups....?

MysticLandscape
12-12-2007, 09:09 AM
We have been done for ten days now, still snow on the ground from the first storm and now we might be getting hammered with more snow.

JohnsonLawn
12-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Its only snowing early this year because alot of us are NOT done yet. If we where done, it would be rainy and in the 50's all winter, go figure. Leaf box is coming off today, finished or not cuz I hate plowing with it on, so the rest of my cleanups are waiting. Bring on the SNOW!!!!! payup

topsites
12-12-2007, 10:24 AM
At least it explains the sudden flurry of phone calls :laugh:
You gotta laugh when everybody calls within those FEW days right when the worst first dawns.
It's like business was dead as a door nail, but suddenly you got 30 jobs all need doing in like, 4 hours!

Now you're all pumped up, that is, until you see the weather forecast, then it dawns on you, too.

It does blow, another HOT day in the 80's then rain and then brrrr cold.
Now what I can't get done today don't get done until it gets done, nothing much I can do about it.

But all right, I'll get on down the road and work for effect.

AL Inc
12-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Well, we wrapped up about 20 properties this week, Monday-yesterday morning. It started snowing at about 10:30 in the morning, but we were still able to get three done before it got bad. We have about 60-70 more finals to do, and two heavy ones that haven't been done yet. I'm still watching this weather we have coming in for Sunday, hopefully it is rain. All I want for Christmas is a clear week of weather! Good luck ot there, guys:waving:

lawnguyland
12-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Well, we wrapped up about 20 properties this week, Monday-yesterday morning. It started snowing at about 10:30 in the morning, but we were still able to get three done before it got bad. We have about 60-70 more finals to do, and two heavy ones that haven't been done yet. I'm still watching this weather we have coming in for Sunday, hopefully it is rain. All I want for Christmas is a clear week of weather! Good luck ot there, guys:waving:

Yeah man, I was actually mowing a bit in the sleet and snow yesterday. I have a few houses I did the final c/u in the am and then was there at night shoveling snow! I don't think I have ever done fall clean-ups and then shoveled snow in the same day. At 9:00 last night while shoveling I couldn't believe it was the same day as when I was doing leaves. I'm in good shape leaf wise- only have about 10 finsh-up jobs- maybe a day, day and a half, then 2 days of gutter cleaning.

Last night I noticed a lot of oak leaves had fallen on top of the snow
I bet I could work all winter doing clean-ups that other guys could'nt get to if I wanted. But I don't.

I wouldn't mind another inch of snow or two that then rapidly melts so we can do clean-ups next week and I can make money on snow removal route too!

Yesterday was huge payup I love snow! Especially that kind-

I shoveled all my houses in about 6 hours! Snowblowers were useless. In fact I haven't used a blower in 3 storms. Nothing but icy mess around here going back to last winter. Also, since there was no plowing of streets there were no annoying piles at the end of the drive to shovel. All customers were very happy I came so it wouldn't freeze overnight. Hooooooray.

Have fun next week.

AL Inc
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Just checked the weather again, Sunday is looking more like rain, so we might be in luck. Still, I really got my ass handed to me this year, it was a late start in spring, then warm fall, so the leaves dropped late, and now this. I would say I need a solid week and a half to finish.
As for the snow, I hate it, this is my 12th year plowing, and I downsized a lot, I kept about a third of what I had, sold one plow truck, am parting out my Blazer with plow, and just have my pick-up now. Just once, I want to stay home during a snow storm, and enjoy a glass of wine with my wife in front of the fireplace:) This may be my last year for snow, I don't know. Some guys enjoy it, I just can't stand it anymore.
Glad the storm was good for you, lawnguyland:waving:

lawnguyland
12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Just checked the weather again, Sunday is looking more like rain, so we might be in luck. Still, I really got my ass handed to me this year, it was a late start in spring, then warm fall, so the leaves dropped late, and now this. I would say I need a solid week and a half to finish.
As for the snow, I hate it, this is my 12th year plowing, and I downsized a lot, I kept about a third of what I had, sold one plow truck, am parting out my Blazer with plow, and just have my pick-up now. Just once, I want to stay home during a snow storm, and enjoy a glass of wine with my wife in front of the fireplace:) This may be my last year for snow, I don't know. Some guys enjoy it, I just can't stand it anymore.
Glad the storm was good for you, lawnguyland:waving:

Holy crap do I hear that!

I've been shoveling snow, etc. for like 20 years. I just gave my brother a 20 year old toro snowblower that I got in 1987 at a place called Sofield Bros on Jericho Tpke. I am so close to saying screw the snow, but I can't do it yet- last night for example I shoveled 27 houses in 6 hours. That's good $. Still I hate it sometimes. I hate these half assed is it gonna snow or rain or sleet storms too. I gotta be ready for what? Nothin? Somethin?

On sat I'm gonna miss a holiday party because I gotta be ready even if it snows 1", I do the route (old people need safety!). That blows. If it doesn't snow and I stay home I'll be more pissed than if it does snow. I hate snow. I love now. Stupid Snow. I love billing for snow. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Next year who knows? Maybe freelance type snow removal- like maybe i'm coming, maybe not!

Not to mention ya can't go away for a week. We'll see- if it's a good year $ wise for snow then maybe I'll do it again- otherwise I have a bunch of snowblowers to sell!

Total Lawn Care
12-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Here in north-central Kansas and the eastern two-thirds of the state we were hammered last Sunday with the biggest ice storm in a very, very long time. Lost trees, limbs, etc. One daughter from central Kansas and grandson staying with us until they get elec. Another daughter and family living in Topeka were without from Sunday until today. Others in areas still don't have power. Keep these families in your prayers.
Over 500,000 without electricity throughout Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri.
Now this evening another snowstorm hits, snowing like mad outside. Prediciting another 2-8" in areas.
One more lawn cleanup to do.....it may have to wait until the spring thaw.
Until then....a lot of icemelt and snowblowing:)
Hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas.
Total Lawn Care

IN2MOWN
12-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Here in north-central Kansas and the eastern two-thirds of the state we were hammered last Sunday with the biggest ice storm in a very, very long time. Lost trees, limbs, etc. One daughter from central Kansas and grandson staying with us until they get elec. Another daughter and family living in Topeka were without from Sunday until today. Others in areas still don't have power. Keep these families in your prayers.
Over 500,000 without electricity throughout Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri.
Now this evening another snowstorm hits, snowing like mad outside. Prediciting another 2-8" in areas.
One more lawn cleanup to do.....it may have to wait until the spring thaw.
Until then....a lot of icemelt and snowblowing:)
Hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas.
Total Lawn Care

We got lucky here in KC, only about 1/2 inch of ice. You guys alright up there?

mag360
12-14-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm always tempted to shut off my cell phone whenever snow turns up in the forecast. The calls are non stop for leaves---everyone thinks they are the only leaf customer we have and they should get the last nice day.

lawnguyland
12-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm always tempted to shut off my cell phone whenever snow turns up in the forecast. The calls are non stop for leaves---everyone thinks they are the only leaf customer we have and they should get the last nice day.

Cell phone? Hell no! The only # my customers get is my business line with an answering machine at the end. I too have a few left an will do them this week.

I hope all you ice storm victims are ok too!

Stillwater
12-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Its only snowing early this year because alot of us are NOT done yet. If we where done, it would be rainy and in the 50's all winter, go figure. Leaf box is coming off today, finished or not cuz I hate plowing with it on, so the rest of my cleanups are waiting. Bring on the SNOW!!!!! payup

this early snow cost me about 9 grand

lawnguyland
12-17-2007, 06:02 PM
this early snow cost me about 9 grand

D'Oh!
Can you bill for a percentage of your clean-ups? In other words- one year I couldn't finsh all mine because of snow, but I had done a few visits at each house- some I just never finshed the final clean-up so I charged people 75% of what I would have since I figured I did about 75% of the work. What stunk was the next year I charged regular price for the spring clean-ups at those houses even though it was more work than ususal due to the wet leaves from the fall, but- I kept my customers.

I figure I'll break even, maybe be a bit ahead if I can't finish the rest of my leaves this year since I made up some $ with the 2 snow storms we had. If I can eventually finish the leaves then the snow will be paying for Christmas.

Stupid, yet glorious snow.