PDA

View Full Version : Landscaper Dump vs Contractors Dump

howardsells2000
12-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Can a Landscaper Dump body be used like a Contractors Dump body. In other words can I load broken concrete, asphalt, stone or what ever else that might come from a demolition job. It will be loaded by a excavator or loader. In the winter I get into this kind of work and I'm just wondering If I could use the landscaper body. I know a Contractors dump body can handle this kind of work. It appears that the Landscaper dump will haul a little more with the higher sides. I want to be able to haul mulch, dirt and stone but also be able to haul debris away from the construction sites. Can one truck serve both duties. I'm talking about F-350 or F-450 size trucks.

Thanks

P.Services
12-11-2007, 11:22 PM
i think the main problem is that a landscape body forces the concrete to be dumped from so high up into the body. this is what will destroy the body. now if you can set it into the body with an excavator thats better. maybe a contractor body with boards you can add to haul mulch.

Gravel Rat
12-12-2007, 02:20 AM
You might be better off with a heavy duty flatdeck dump with some wood sides made from 2x10 planks.

A landscapers dump with the sheet metal sides are really not that strong. I wouldn't even haul concrete demo debris with a regular mason dump. Even one of the dump body manufactures told me it wasn't recommended.

With a flatdeck you would have to make a swing door on the back that you could swing open latch it to the side of the body dump the load and swing the door closed. You don't want barn doors like a landscaper body.

Breezmister
12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Can a Landscaper Dump body be used like a Contractors Dump body. In other words can I load broken concrete, asphalt, stone or what ever else that might come from a demolition job.
Thanks

Depends...If you have an all metal body, yea you can, but there are bodies out there that have " Plastic floors and sides " I would not load anything like large concrete or big rocks in one of them.
Just because you have high sides does not mean you can fill it all the way up, you have to be aware of the weight.
Ever think of using a dumpster for the concrete ?

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
if your gonna haul broken concrete slab and demo work DO NOT get a landscapers' dump. ive only seen them made out of 14 gauge steel, and that stuff will tear with concrete in the back. my dad does brick/stone/block work and we have hauled ALOT of concrete in our mason's dump and there are plenty of dents to attest to that, and our dump has at least 10 gauge sides with heaver floor.

J&R Landscaping
12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
If your looking to do this, but still use it for mulch and such, sounds like a switch and go body set-up would be the way to go. Heck it would be easier and give you the fredoom to leave a box and the jobsite if nessecary without putting the truck out of commission for the day. Heck, hire a driver and you might be able to manage it year round instead of just in the off season.

howardsells2000
12-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.