PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage of equipment

paparob
12-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I have an older Ransom Bobcat 48" walk behind mower, with a 11 hp briggs engine. I'm wondering whats the best way to store it for the winter. I don't have a manual and wasn't able to locate anything about winter storage in the manuals at the briggs website.

I'm a new guy here. Been in business as a side job for 1 season.

I appreciate your input.

analogdog
12-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Put fuel stabilizer in the gastank, shut the valve off between the tank and engine and run the machine dry.

topsites
12-12-2007, 06:40 PM
As for the fuel I run most of it out, once the season starts to wind down it is rare that I fill her up and not use most of that before it's over. But what's left in it I syphon out which I then usually dump that in a car (everything runs super so it doesn't matter), then I start the engine and let the rest run itself through until it shuts off.

I try and plan ahead but if you didn't don't worry about it, at the most it's 5 gallons.
I don't store fuel, syphon it out and dump it in a car or the truck anymore.
Beats having to buy that preservative, free fuel for the car too.
The 2-cycle stuff is fine, the mix acts as a preservative, this can be stored, do NOT run this in the car :laugh:

I'd unhook the blades too, keep that from rusting, in my case I can put a fresh set on since I coat all of mine lightly with oil...

Yeah, might grease the zerks to make sure.
Cover it decently with a good tarp, secure the tarp, see ya in spring.

Then, in spring:
Change air filter, spark plug, inline fuel filter.
Put gas in it, start it and run'er until warm, then change oil and filter.
Now go over the entire machine, check everything over and through and fix and adjust and get everything just right.

gtg

Stillwater
12-16-2007, 03:24 AM
I clean all equipment with extreme detail, carefully lube everything, change all oil, replace anything worn or needing replacement, fill the tank with gas add stabil and start everything every other week or so over the winter. Some will add stabil and run dry that is appropriate to

AmsoilPower
12-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Add fresh fuel w/ stabilizer and run thru entire fuel system. Start every month and run a few minutes. Do not run dry because you actually don't run it completely dry. There will be some old, stale fuel left in the carb bowl that the engine will attempt to fire on the first time next spring.