PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Coupler ?'s

pafirewood
12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I have this coupler on this homemade trailer I bought. I have put alot of money into this trailer, and this coupler is keeping me from using it. I bought a coupler repair kit thinking this would solve the problem but it didnt. the original coupler had a straight flat peice of medal going from the hitch down to the semicircle peice that holds in the ball. Does anyone know where i can get a coupler kit for this, or any ideas how to repair it cheap?

wayneo7
12-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Would it not be easier to weld a new one on??

AndyTblc
12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
you can get a new coupler at any farm and ranch store or tractor supply stores

Dirt Digger2
12-12-2007, 04:07 PM
tractor supply or a Boat US/Western Marine store will have replacement couplers that look exactly like that one

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 06:30 PM
yeh cut that piece of crap off and go get a bully dog coupler. best thing you can do.

ken gustafson
12-15-2007, 12:22 PM
If this were my trailer....I would cut the old hitch off. Weld on a lunette eye and it would last a life time. You would be unable to load enough on the trailer that this eye would not be able to handle. Nothing to break...nothing. This part costs about $25 at Northern..probably a little more at other places. If you were buying a 3" lunette/pintle setup....the verticle load limit would be about 15 tons and the hortizontal load limit would be about 40 tons. Most lease expensive...most load bearing....longest lasting and for sure safest. Have switched all of my trailers to this setup...8 years ago and no problems period...no issues. Then I made locks for this and other trailers. I got what I wanted and then it was stolen. Now I have what I want and you would be very hard pressed to steal it. Learned the hard way. Just so you are aware...lunette is the eye on the trailer and pintle is the hitch on the vehicle. Most people call the hookup on the trailer a pintle but that is incorrect...it is a lunette eye. Been there and done that... and has worked for me. Not even a concern anymore.....Ken

ken gustafson
12-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Forgot to mention......our lock for this lunette/pintle setup is called DaPlug and comes in 2 sizes..2 3/8 and 3 inch. It is on sale this month for about $55 plus shipping. This lock and others can be viewed at www.trailerlocksonline.com
If you wanted to install a Bulldog brand hitch...that would be our DaBull lock.
The lunette...hitch is by far the strongest...by far. Big difference between 750 to 1000 pounds tongue weight for Bulldog setup and the 30,000 pounds of tongue weight for lunette eye. Just so you know.....Ken

Breezmister
12-15-2007, 05:42 PM
I have this coupler on this homemade trailer I bought.

I get alot of trailer stuff here

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_113+7384