PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Vs. Gas- a classic debate

PaproskiLandscaping
12-12-2007, 04:42 PM
I have searched past forums and have found similar topics but not one solid thread that answers the classic question. In the long run, say over the course of 5 years what kinds of truck is cheaper to maintain and run, a gas truck or a diesel truck. The factors I am considering in trying to make this determination are the fact that in CT diesel is more expensive than gas, diesel trucks get better gas mileage, in the short term the PM on diesel trucks is more expensive, but diesel trucks last longer. Also diesel trucks command a higher resale value but initially they can cost up to 7K more. I am working on a business plan for obtaining funds to expand my business and purchase another truck. I need some hard data to put into the plan regarding why I am choosing the engine that I am on my new truck. If it does turn out the diesel is more (I will admit I would prefer a diesel) I need to be able to justify the added expense with some good reasoning.

NBI Lawn
12-12-2007, 04:58 PM
IMO a gas truck will be cheaper to run and maintain right now. Like you said, a diesel will cost you ~$7000 right off the bat. Around here diesel is $.76 more than regular per gallon. At that rate if you fill your truck two times a week you will end up paying $158 more in fuel a month( I would anyway at 26g per fill). That is not taking into consideration the better fuel mileage you would get with a diesel though. So maybe cut that number in half?
As far as maintaining a truck I dont think anything about a diesel is cheap. But then again you probably wont have an issue with it for 5+ years. A gas truck is easy and fairly cheap to fix should something go wrong but again not many issues with the newer trucks in the first 5 years.

Diesels are great if you really need one but the cost is just too much to justify, thats my opinion anyway. If I didnt pull a skid around on a heavy trailer I would trade in the diesel on a 1500HD Dodge with the lifetime warranty. All the 1500HD is is a 2500 with a Hemi and I think they lowered the GVW, whatever.

Probably didnt answer any of you questions but it is something that cant really be answered since everyones needs are different.

PaproskiLandscaping
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah I am looking at 10 foot landscape body truck, probably around the size of a F-550. I will be towing a 5 ton trailer with a tractor on it, and I occationally rent skid steer excavators. So if I do go with a gas motor, it will need to be something big enough to tow that.

J&R Landscaping
12-12-2007, 05:15 PM
For a dump truck like that, it depends on how much you will use it. If its going to be used ocassionally but not everyday through-out the season, the 6.8 v-10 or GM 8.1 v-8 might be the way to go. If its gonna be a dialy truck through-out the season, a diesel would be the way to go.

PatiosInstalled
12-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Diesel is more expensive right now but in DE when gas goes down diesel rises and when gas rises diesel falls. I normally see diesel cheaper in the spring and summer time. so when all is said and done at the end of the year it should balance out. I bought a new 2006 gas f 250 and loved the truck but hated to mileage I figured it out to average around 8 mpg that is 3 mpgs less then my 2002 model with all the same features and both trucks had 35" tires on them. I had taken the truck to the dealership many times in regards to the fuel issue and they found nothing wrong. The only thing they could attribute the loss of mpg's to is the fact ford redesigned the gas engine from 2 valves to 3 valves. I guess they got more power but reduced economy. the gas for the 06 was killing me so I traded it in for an 04 diesel f250 lariat and couldnít be happier, I put 35's on the 04 and average around 13mpgs. the diesel power is far more superior then the gas.

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
IMO a gas truck will be cheaper to run and maintain right now. Like you said, a diesel will cost you ~$7000 right off the bat. Around here diesel is $.76 more than regular per gallon. At that rate if you fill your truck two times a week you will end up paying $158 more in fuel a month( I would anyway at 26g per fill). That is not taking into consideration the better fuel mileage you would get with a diesel though. So maybe cut that number in half?
As far as maintaining a truck I dont think anything about a diesel is cheap. But then again you probably wont have an issue with it for 5+ years. A gas truck is easy and fairly cheap to fix should something go wrong but again not many issues with the newer trucks in the first 5 years.

Diesels are great if you really need one but the cost is just too much to justify, thats my opinion anyway. If I didnt pull a skid around on a heavy trailer I would trade in the diesel on a 1500HD Dodge with the lifetime warranty. All the 1500HD is is a 2500 with a Hemi and I think they lowered the GVW, whatever.

Probably didnt answer any of you questions but it is something that cant really be answered since everyones needs are different.

a 1500hd?! never heard of that. i know theres an 8 lug mega cab half ton. but never heard it called a 1500hd

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 05:23 PM
diesel is the only way to go. unless its a new emmision friendly diesel. they arent gettin the best fuel mileage. and especially if its one ton or higher, go with the diesel. much better choice. hands down.

PaproskiLandscaping
12-12-2007, 05:26 PM
yeah this will be my main vehicle used 5-6 days a week. If I pick up any commercial properties next year I will most likely be putting a plow and sander on it too.

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 05:42 PM
diesel it is! go ahead and go get one today. :)

J&R Landscaping
12-12-2007, 05:46 PM
a 1500hd?! never heard of that. i know theres an 8 lug mega cab half ton. but never heard it called a 1500hd

Gm had them up to 07. I don't think they are still being produced.

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 06:01 PM
mega cab is a dodge. never said anything about a gm

NBI Lawn
12-12-2007, 06:07 PM

I thought they called it a HD? I was wrong once before so it is possible I could be wrong again.

TXNSLighting
12-12-2007, 06:17 PM
ha! no i dont think it is. its just a half ton with 8 lugs. very weird. i woud just call it a 3/4 ton... but thats just me. when the mega cabs came out they had one out somewhere. i saw the 1500, and the 8 lugs and went huh? asked the rep. and he said its just a half ton with 8 lugs. its basically a 3/4 ton. but tows like a half ton.

ZX12R
12-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Get the diesel.Noone mentiond it,but diesels have less maintenance...no spark plugs,rotor,spark plug wires to change.

roguesuerte
12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
We have a couple of trucks with Duramax diesels that we tow heavy loads with daily. They pull very smoothly as if there was no load attached. I like the exta torque. The gas price fluctuations seem to even-out with the added mpg we get with the diesels. It is a less convenient for us to gas-up because the diesel stations arent as close as I would like, but I would still buy another diesel over gas.

hosejockey2002
12-13-2007, 12:19 AM
but diesels have less maintenance...no spark plugs,rotor,spark plug wires to change.

My Chevy 6.0 gas has no rotor or spark plug wires, and the plugs only have to be changed every 60K miles. Today's engines, both gas and diesel are very low maintenance compared with older trucks.

PaproskiLandscaping
12-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I think its probably time for me to get out the old excel spreadsheet and run some numbers. My investor is a numbers guy and he is going to want specifics. Anyone out there running an F-550 diesel 6.4L what is your fuel economy. Anyone running an f-550 V-10 what is your fuel economy? I think i am going to price out a service contract because that is a solid number. Anyone out there buy the service contract from ford? What are the pros what are the cons?

TXNSLighting
12-13-2007, 05:13 PM
a v-10 and 6.4 550 are probly goin to be similar. diesel will probly get 2 mpg better. unless you wait a bit and find a job 3 08. one that will be built after jan 08. they should be getting alot better fuel mleage by then. may be into the teens by then towing.