PDA

View Full Version : looking for trailer

Greenleaf Property MGT
12-12-2007, 11:06 PM
I am looking to buy a new trailer for next season and was wondering what you all are using as far as open trailers in the 18' long with mesh sides. I need some input and prices and ideas.

topsites
12-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Personally I think solid sides are at least as good, the mesh is a bit lighter but going down the road the solid side makes a BIG aerodynamic difference... At highway speeds the mesh really disturbs the flow while the solid sides glide through, at lower speeds the mesh's lighter weight likely comes out ahead and then it all adds out so that in terms of mpg this is not worth worrying about, I don't think it is.

Honestly, if you want light weight then get an aluminum one, but as a rule they cost twice as much, too...

Price wise the mesh might be cheaper, but solid might be better, I'd be more for comparing the two before settling on one for reasons of price. I'm not saying you shouldn't get the mesh, but do keep the solid in mind, because I like mine a lot and don't think but so much of mesh, either one I am sure is fine thou.

That's all I know, might help broaden your selection thou.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
12-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Price wise the mesh might be cheaper, but solid might be better, I'd be more for comparing the two before settling on one for reasons of price.

As of about 6 years ago, expanded (mesh) and sheet metal were about the same price-wise. I don't know about today, but I'd assume both have gone up in price but are probably about the same in comparison to one another. My dad owns a steel fabricating business so when I was rebuilding a trailer from the frame up I went with sheet metal sides due to what I was going to use the trailer for and it wasn't much difference in price opting to go with sheet vs. expanded.

Ramairfreak98ss
12-13-2007, 07:15 PM
As of about 6 years ago, expanded (mesh) and sheet metal were about the same price-wise. I don't know about today, but I'd assume both have gone up in price but are probably about the same in comparison to one another. My dad owns a steel fabricating business so when I was rebuilding a trailer from the frame up I went with sheet metal sides due to what I was going to use the trailer for and it wasn't much difference in price opting to go with sheet vs. expanded.

ive actually seen the mesh stuff being MORE expensive than the trailers with wooden board platforms. Ive seen lots that are mesh sides or solid sides too.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
ive actually seen the mesh stuff being MORE expensive than the trailers with wooden board platforms. Ive seen lots that are mesh sides or solid sides too.

Without a doubt anytime you have any kind of steel or alluminum it's going to cost more than wood.

Greenleaf Property MGT
12-18-2007, 10:08 AM
I have been looking at Moritz and corn-pro landscape trailers in the 10,000 GVWR and 20' long what do you guy's use or think of these trailers.