PDA

View Full Version : FYI on T-190

SiteSolutions
12-12-2007, 11:34 PM
The SJC is acting up again on my T-190. The dealer found the problem quickly this time, and went ahead and overnighted the parts. Should be ready to pick up in the morning.

My service manager also called Bobcat to point out this is like the 5th warranty repair on the machine and I've only had it about 6 months, fewer than 400 hours. He asked them what they would do for me, and Bobcat is buying me an extended warranty; that is, they are extending my bumper-to-bumper warranty by 12 months at no charge to me.

I guess it's a happy ending. I hate to post negative info on a machine that is otherwise a pleasure to own and operate, but maybe that will help somebody else in the market. The early 2007 T-190 K series with joysticks have a few problems. Hopefully the design has already been revised and the newer machines don't have the problems.

ksss
12-13-2007, 12:59 AM
That was good of them to extend your warranty. Those controls have been known to have issues since they were released. I am surprised they have not got to the root of the problem yet, but if they have not improved them by the 07 model I would not hold out much hope of them fixing it in the future. I think there is a better chance that they will introduce a new control system.

SiteSolutions
12-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I think the problems on my machine would be specific to the track models, as they all seem to center around the motor speed sensors, which are in the drive motors, and the drive motors on the CTLs are outside the frame, making them vulnerable. Ironically, the first problem I had (that took three tries to fix) was that the armor around the motors and sensors and hoses was pinching the harness for the sensors and causing an intermittent fault in that wiring. They fixed that; this time it was a short interconnecting harness inside the frame (under the cab) that went bad. If / when they can get these wires routed safely it should be better.

But I do feel a lot better with a little more warranty!

Scag48
12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Nice that they gave you an extended warranty. I'd still bail on that machine once the warranty is up, even if it fails again and it's fixed again. That crap gets way expensive if you're paying for it out of your pocket. Basically, you're having failures every 80 hours at the rate you're going. That's a pretty terrible service record, IMO. I'd personally run that machine to the end of the warranty and get out of it. Machines with 400 hours shouldn't go into the shop ever, let alone 5 times for the same issue. Just my thoughts.

Fieldman12
12-13-2007, 09:21 PM
I think it is good they gave you the added warranty. Of course it never cost them a thing giving it to you unless it breaks down again. Based on the machines past track record it could break down again. Any idea on how much business or time lost this machine has cost you? I kinda agree with Scag48 about trading the machine. I guess though if I was in your shoes I would evaluate how much work was lost if any, figure in some money for fuel, time, and aggravation. I would then figure out if I was to trade how much am I going to loose on this machine. Granted it is a Bobcat and will have some resale but it is also a track machine which we all know they don't have the best resale track record no matter what the brand. Probably if I was you after I weighed all this and if the machine is holding together I would keep it for a few years. I'm thinking if I decide to start buying a new machine eventually I would like to trade every five years. I think in that amount of time I could get a good dependable life out of the machine and also not get hit so hard on machine value loss as much as just having it a year or two. Hopefully by then the machine does not owe me much.

JDSKIDSTEER
12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
The guy that bought my Magnum head is fed up with the dealer. Their 3 month old T320 has been in shop 8 times. Not sure how many times T300 has been in. They also are having a lot of hydraulic over heating problems. He called and met for lunch today to vent about it. They do not want to help them because he has bought a CT332 8 months ago and yet to have a warranty claim and just bought a 50D. They blame all the problems on the magnum head. They had same problems with Bobcat head......Duh. We all sell a machine that has problems from time to time. I lost a customer to them and still loaned him a machine when his was down and knowing he already had one on order from Bobcat to trade it in on.

Fieldman12
12-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Hmm, they dont want to help him because he bought a Deere machine BUT he owns two Bobcat machines. I think instead pf making the situation worse with the customer they should be trying to get his situation fixed so he will buy Bobcat equipment in the future. Im not what I will call super brand loyal. Granted I did grow up with Deere equipment, but also Case IH, Cat, Ford, MF and so on. Im not afraid to change brands by any means if I am given a reason for needed change.

bobcat_ron
12-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Glad I switched to CAT!!!

But I'm also impressed with the extra warranty the factory is giving you, kudos to them.

SiteSolutions
12-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I was pretty down a couple days ago, with the machine in the shop and a customer not giving me some work after looking me in the eye a week prior and telling me I had the work... but when they told me about the warranty, it really made my day... at least I won't have that to worry about for awhile.

The machine was very dependable for the first ~275 or 300 hours, then over these last 80 or so hours is when it has had all the trouble. This time, the harness under the cab was touching the drive belt! Wore insulation off three wires and evidently caused a short. They are replacing the sensor, too, which was apparently damaged by the short. I hope it works when they get it back together; there's always the chance it wasn't the sensor but the computer that got smoked by the short... at least they are overnighting all the parts this time around.

JDSKIDSTEER: If you were selling Caterpillars I would already be in one. This 190 should still be in great shape in a couple years... "Garage Kept, Low hours, One owner" so maybe you can give me a good trade-in on it when Deere makes their machines with a little more creature comforts. I want to get GPS and surround sound in mine, along with joystick controls and a big cup holder!

JDSKIDSTEER
12-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Yeah, I was pretty down a couple days ago, with the machine in the shop and a customer not giving me some work after looking me in the eye a week prior and telling me I had the work... but when they told me about the warranty, it really made my day... at least I won't have that to worry about for awhile.

The machine was very dependable for the first ~275 or 300 hours, then over these last 80 or so hours is when it has had all the trouble. This time, the harness under the cab was touching the drive belt! Wore insulation off three wires and evidently caused a short. They are replacing the sensor, too, which was apparently damaged by the short. I hope it works when they get it back together; there's always the chance it wasn't the sensor but the computer that got smoked by the short... at least they are overnighting all the parts this time around.

JDSKIDSTEER: If you were selling Caterpillars I would already be in one. This 190 should still be in great shape in a couple years... "Garage Kept, Low hours, One owner" so maybe you can give me a good trade-in on it when Deere makes their machines with a little more creature comforts. I want to get GPS and surround sound in mine, along with joystick controls and a big cup holder!
Will be looking for you. Get a couple years use out of it so you at least get your moneys worth for what you put in it, and I cannot say much , but we should have a year under our belt with joystick controls by the time it will be affordable for you to trade. Deere in the big line set the standards on joy sticks and hydrostats so hopefuly bugs will be gone from day one. Crossing my fingers.

SiteSolutions
12-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Will be looking for you. Get a couple years use out of it so you at least get your moneys worth for what you put in it, and I cannot say much , but we should have a year under our belt with joystick controls by the time it will be affordable for you to trade. Deere in the big line set the standards on joy sticks and hydrostats so hopefuly bugs will be gone from day one. Crossing my fingers.

Yeah, even ten years ago I was impressed with how easy it was to run a small Deere dozer. It just seemed to make sense; it went where you told it to go.

Hopefully that will translate well to the ctl side of things.