PDA

View Full Version : GMC Truck Doors Won't Open When Cold Outside

mojob
12-13-2007, 10:25 AM
My 98 GMC 3500's doors won't open when it's really cold outside. It's not because they're frozen shut. It acts like the doors are still locked when you try to lift the door handles. Both doors do it. When you finally get the door open and get into the truck, you can't get the door open again using the inside door handle, you have to use the outside door handle. Once it warms up outside or you have the heat cranked up for a while, the doors work fine. Anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing it's a common problem with this model truck since both doors are doing it. I'm hoping to get a heads up from somebody before I pop the door panels off.

TXNSLighting
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
its a gm what do you expect??! ha! no this happened to a friends truck. but unfortunately he never found out why. the dealer looked at him funny when he asked about it. they couldnt figure it out.

DoetschOutdoor
12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
I had an older truck that used to do the same thing as you are describing. Once it got really cold, it was as if the cables that ran from the handle to the lock were frozen stiff. I went through 2 cables on the drivers side and 1 one passenger side from trying to open them in cold weather and them popping and breaking. Is your truck power locks or manual?

MarcSmith
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
and you'dbe hard pressed to find a dealer to do anything about it. you have to leave the truck over night when its cold and let them deal with it.... Id pop off the panels and get some nice lithium grease and lube up everything and get some lock lubcriant and lube the locks cylinders as well.

TSB No.: 020864016 NHTSA No.: 634339 TSB Date: July 1, 2002
Failing Component:
Structure:Body:Door:Hinge And Attachments
Description of Summary:
Some customers may comment on front door hinge pin bushing wear, front door sag, or door chucking movement in extreme operating conditions.

tsb was for 1500 only...but....

mojob
12-13-2007, 10:40 AM
I had an older truck that used to do the same thing as you are describing. Once it got really cold, it was as if the cables that ran from the handle to the lock were frozen stiff. I went through 2 cables on the drivers side and 1 one passenger side from trying to open them in cold weather and them popping and breaking. Is your truck power locks or manual?
They are manual door locks so I know it's a problem in the door itself. Thanks for all the fast replies. Keep em coming.

mojob
12-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey Mark, I just noticed the service bulletin you posted. I replaced the hinge bushings and pins on both doors about a year ago. The guy I bought the truck from told me that his guys were always having trouble opening the doors too.

topsites
12-13-2007, 01:43 PM
They are manual door locks so I know it's a problem in the door itself. Thanks for all the fast replies. Keep em coming.

I second the idea of popping off door panels and getting some lube up in there best you can.