PDA

View Full Version : Starting a lawn and landscaping business in the US!

andrekofod
12-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I am from Denmark in Europe
I have been in the US many times and iím planning to start a lawn and landscaping business around Tifton Georgia.
I have seen you talk about license here. What kind of job do you need license and where do you get it?

In DK we calculate all work pr. hour. A normal hourly rate is about 60 $ +25% sale tax (I know the tax sounds crazy ;) but thatís how it is in DK) and if its bigger machines its about 100 $
But what is a average hourly rate in the US?

Hope some could give me some advise.
Thanks

Whitey4
12-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Denmark is in europe? Learn sumpthin new very day.

Start by contacting the state's web site, and visit the county clerk's office. If you think anyone has the time or the inclination to set you up in business at a message board.... I'd suggest working for a landscaping company for a year first.... once you have a clue, ask some questions again.

Sundancekid74
12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Denmark is in europe? Learn sumpthin new very day.

Start by contacting the state's web site, and visit the county clerk's office. If you think anyone has the time or the inclination to set you up in business at a message board.... I'd suggest working for a landscaping company for a year first.... once you have a clue, ask some questions again.

I agree... while you have to take a bite on % of weekly/monthly income you can gain a lot of advice and knowledge by working for someone else. Check this out: I got out of prison in Dec. of 05, couldn't find a job (anywhere) and wound up working for a guy cutting grass for $8.00 hr. I was weed wacker extradenair. Anyway, by May of same year I was certain that lawn care was my cup of tea and was the career for me for me, my family, and my future. I spent $500.00 for a 36' Ransomes Bobcat walk behind, a few bucks in door knockers/fliers, and managed to acquire 12 accounts; one of which Paul Bundy and Johnny Applesead would have felt at home with. I love what I do for a living now and can't tell you what a relief it was for me to stumble into the lawn care industry. It may not provide a huge "boost" for my self-confidence just being your average lawn junkie, but there is a lot to say for working hard/sweating for your hard earned dollar. Can't express in words how it makes capitalism awesome.... Expect much less in hourly rate. More like $22.00 an hour depending on your location. The south is big on irrigation systems which requires a license (plumbing), however, any ex-con with $500.00 and a truck can do business. Good luck.:cool2:

andrekofod
12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks for your posts

I'm not allowed to work for someone els cause I can only start my own business to get the visa.

I didn't expect to charge the same in US as a business in Denmark cause everything is ALLOT more expensive, just some of the tings is we pay 7-8$ pr. gallon for gas, 180 % tax on the cars.

I will check out the state's web site
Thank you

Whitey4
12-14-2007, 06:51 PM
OK Andre.... I wasn't sure if you were a troll or serious.

Do you have a buget? Equipment? Financing?

Since you need a legitamate buisness to get your visa, you will have to get a license, most likely at the county clerk's office. Then call around for some insurance quotes. If you want to be certified (legal) to put down ferilitzer etc, you will need this. Try and contact the Danish embassy and see it they can offer any assistance. They will likely have info on what you will need to start a legal business and qualify for a visa.

Each state and county has different laws and rules. There are local small business advisors available nearby your location that should be able to help as well. These are free services. Good luck.

Nicdv1
12-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your posts

I'm not allowed to work for someone els cause I can only start my own business to get the visa.

I didn't expect to charge the same in US as a business in Denmark cause everything is ALLOT more expensive, just some of the tings is we pay 7-8$ pr. gallon for gas, 180 % tax on the cars.

I will check out the state's web site
Thank you

hi
Don't you need to get a E2 visa? thats to buy a business thats already started and has employees, and i think you need about $150,000 to invest.
You need to find a good attorney and maybe a business broker,send me a private message maybe i can help.I have a few good contacts.
Nick

topsites
12-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Son, you do not pretend to go into business so that you can legitimately obtain a Visa for purposes of immigration, not in the United States nor in any other country is this scam allowed.

The question I have is, where have you stayed when you came to the United States before?
Surely a motel is not the correct answer, and if it is then you are a long ways from obtaining permanent residency for any purpose.

Look I do wish you the best of luck in any enterprise you decide upon, but I've given you too much information already, and just because we have Mexicans trampling down our fence across Texas it just doesn't mean we're excited about it, see what I mean.

So I'm not sure if it is a good thing to tell you, but try saving about 20 thousand Euros and then get yourself a 30-day tourist visa. In that 30 days you will have to do a considerable amount of leg work, but I believe if you play your cards right then it is possible that Visa can then be extended or perhaps converted into something along the lines of what you are thinking. The exact details of this I do not know of but it is possible, I think, the American Embassy in the capital of Denmark could be of further assistance at this time.

Perhaps, if you get your questions right, a phone call to them might turn up some productive answers.

Have a nice day.

Az Gardener
12-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Just ignore topsites he starts .:drinkup: drinking early. Welcome and good luck! I would spend a lot of time with the search feature of this website. If you want to come to AZ let me know and I can help you with your Biz. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes for you.

andrekofod
12-15-2007, 06:40 PM
hi
Don't you need to get a E2 visa? thats to buy a business thats already started and has employees, and i think you need about $150,000 to invest.
You need to find a good attorney and maybe a business broker,send me a private message maybe i can help.I have a few good contacts.
Nick

Im sorry im kind of new here on the forum. How do you send a privat message?

corbster
12-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Up at the top right where it says:

Welcome, andrekofod.
You last visited: Today at 05:59 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 0

andrekofod
12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
I got a immigration lawyer in Atlanta GA.
He is working me through the visa stuff
Im working on the E2 Visa and im going to invest 50 000$+
Im going back to Georgia in january to plan the business.
I will go to the county clerk's office in Tifton when i get there.

Nicdv1
12-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Son, you do not pretend to go into business so that you can legitimately obtain a Visa for purposes of immigration, not in the United States nor in any other country is this scam allowed.

The question I have is, where have you stayed when you came to the United States before?
Surely a motel is not the correct answer, and if it is then you are a long ways from obtaining permanent residency for any purpose.

Look I do wish you the best of luck in any enterprise you decide upon, but I've given you too much information already, and just because we have Mexicans trampling down our fence across Texas it just doesn't mean we're excited about it, see what I mean.

So I'm not sure if it is a good thing to tell you, but try saving about 20 thousand Euros and then get yourself a 30-day tourist visa. In that 30 days you will have to do a considerable amount of leg work, but I believe if you play your cards right then it is possible that Visa can then be extended or perhaps converted into something along the lines of what you are thinking. The exact details of this I do not know of but it is possible, I think, the American Embassy in the capital of Denmark could be of further assistance at this time.

Perhaps, if you get your questions right, a phone call to them might turn up some productive answers.

Have a nice day.

Whats wrong with him investing his money, paying taxes, and employing U.S citizens? Unlike those mexicans trampling down the fences in Texas .

DuraCutter
12-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Whats wrong with him investing his money, paying taxes, and employing U.S citizens? Unlike those mexicans trampling down the fences in Texas .

hehe... now people from all over the planet are coming in to the us and other countries to start lawncare, well not everyone, but we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg with this original poster.

I can just read the new flyers in the near future. "I mow lawns, will do other chores around your home to make extra dough. We charge $10 per lawn anysize...please call, I have to feed my kids... we'll do the cutting with the latest Z that goes 25 mph...please do not leave anything on lawn that can be run over.
PS We are american, not mexicans or foreigners, please help!!!

Hope it doesn't come to that, but everyone and his dog is starting lawncare it seems, and the guys on this site are BENDING over backwards to help...:laugh:

Do you guys think that's wise???

:)

Whitey4
12-15-2007, 11:36 PM
One Dane comes on the site and it's a new wave of icebergs coming, and we are all on the Titantic? I don't see anyone bending over backwards either. He's gotten a tiny bit of info, just enough to do some legwork.

I don't mind immigrants that come in and start legit businesses, especially if they have 50k to invest. It's the illegals that WORK for Americans that don't pay taxes, get food stamps and send their kids to our schools that peess me off.

andrekofod
12-16-2007, 01:04 PM
It's kind of interesting to see you alls view on immigrants.

And don't worry i won't wipe you all of the map!!! :)

M&SLawnCare
12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Nothing personal andrekofod, but i think a lot of us are about at the breaking point with how badly our border in the south is broken and the apparent lack of care the government is expressing toward it. Expecually since the large influx of cheap labor is hurting our business probably more than any other in the US.

It sounds like you want to do things right, and actually follow our immigration laws, and therefore i welcome you. Your best bet is to see an attorney and discuss with him what type of business you want to start and he can advise you on the best setup for that and get the ball rolling (LLC, sole prop, ect). As far as pricing you'll have to find out what the local going rate in that area is and go from there. Typically for general maintenance we charge by the job, and roughly expecting 60 per hour seems to be the most common.

Use the search feature up top and you can probably find a hundred posts on every topic you can imagine here. That should be a good start.

Whitey4
12-16-2007, 08:12 PM
It's kind of interesting to see you alls view on immigrants.

And don't worry i won't wipe you all of the map!!! :)

Yeah, we have as many wankwads as any other country... maybe more. There is a backlash against the immigrants from the south of the US.... they are illegal, don't pay taxes, send their kids to ouur schools for free and get food stamps... that is to say free food paid for by those of us who DO pay taxes. These hispanics cost me about $10 a property. They as a work force drive the billings down.

That is a very different than what you want to do.... start a legit legal business. I for one welcome you and wish you luck.