PDA

View Full Version : I have equipment...Is it the right stuff??

Suds
12-13-2007, 09:57 PM
I have never been in the landscaping business but the time is right for me to make a career change. I already have the following equipment:

John Deere 2520 diesel compact tractor with FEL, 62" MMM...3pt hitch with a, 5' rear blade, 5' landscape rake, 4' box scrapper, post hole digger with 9" and 12" bits.

John Deere X475 garden tractor, 54" deck, 3pt hitch

John Deere LX279 lawn tractor, 48" deck

Simplicity, walk behind, hydrostatic drive, commercial brushcutter (like a DR Brushcutter that you see advertised on TV all the time)

Residential quality, 22" pushmower

Stihl FS110R straight shaft string trimmer with brushcutter blade and pole pruner attachments

John Deere string trimmer

John Deere plug aerator

14' trailer and a 2005 diesel pickup truck to haul it all around.

All equipment is in excellent condition, it's just been used around my home

Do I have the right gear to get started????

I have a sales background so I believe I can market my services. Where do you go for insurance on a landscaping business? As far as pricing goes I will attempt to find out what others charge and beat their prices to build my book of business. I am located in Maryland

Dirt Digger2
12-13-2007, 11:41 PM
if you have all that green machinery and a 2005 diesel truck why did you get out of the work you were in?

haha

93Chevy
12-13-2007, 11:53 PM
What are you looking to do, landscape installs or commercial mowing or both?

Dodge Truck
12-13-2007, 11:58 PM
As far as pricing goes I will attempt to find out what others charge and beat their prices [/B]

If you do this you won't last a year. Let your work stand out and charge what your time is worth (don't forget the overhead) if you're doing $15-$25 lawns you'll never make it, price penetration is not the way to go in this industry unless you want the most PITA customers ever. Quality work proper business ethics which leads to a good rep is what it takes.

Don't go in and lowball the other guys there are already so many out there who do it and never last (but more come) you don't want to put yourself at that level, those aren't the people you want to be competing against.

LemkeLawns
12-14-2007, 12:32 AM
If you do this you won't last a year. Let your work stand out and charge what your time is worth (don't forget the overhead) if you're doing $15-$25 lawns you'll never make it, price penetration is not the way to go in this industry unless you want the most PITA customers ever. Quality work proper business ethics which leads to a good rep is what it takes.

Don't go in and lowball the other guys there are already so many out there who do it and never last (but more come) you don't want to put yourself at that level, those aren't the people you want to be competing against.

I second that

Suds
12-14-2007, 07:40 AM

I hear you loud and clear Dodge Truck. However, my impression (however right or wrong it may be) of this business is that the vast majority of customers will go to the lowest bidder and will tolerate somewhat reduced quality of work if they are getting a better price. Cheap takes priority over quality to some extent in my very uninformed opinion...How far off base are my impressions?

I've never worked in this business so I really don't have a clue. If I don't offer a better price then how do you go about differentiating yourself from the established competition? All the other guys have lawnmowers, trimmers blowers too.

Suds
12-14-2007, 07:48 AM
What are you looking to do, landscape installs or commercial mowing or both?

93Chevy, I don't have the expertise to do proper landscape installs. I'm thinking I would start with residential jobs, mowing, trimming I could do hedge trimming (Echo hedge trimmer) and leaf collection in the fall. Although I guess I would need a way to either remove the leaves or get a leaf shredder.

I could till residential gardens. I have a walk behind tiller and access to a tiller that I could hook up on my 3pt hitch on my larger tractor. Would tilling gardens be something that is in demand??

Suds
12-14-2007, 07:53 AM
if you have all that green machinery and a 2005 diesel truck why did you get out of the work you were in?

haha

Because I am miserable, I am making people around me (family) miserable and life is too short. I haven't gotten out of it yet but the time is right to do it.

And yes, I really do have all that Green equipment (a case of green fever) and a diesel truck.

Dirt Digger2
12-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Because I am miserable, I am making people around me (family) miserable and life is too short. I haven't gotten out of it yet but the time is right to do it.

And yes, I really do have all that Green equipment (a case of green fever) and a diesel truck.

good for you...happiness needs to come first above all, seems today people forget that

Jay Ray
12-14-2007, 09:16 AM
It is unlikely you will get inundated with customers right away. The LX279 is a great machine for residential work, slower than a Z, but that is okay for starters. And an X475 for bigger props plus the CUT, there are not many jobs you are unequiped for. The people who count, your customers, will not think the less of you if it is made in Moline.

If you get some gates, you might think about a 32 or 36 wb, a used belt will do. The belts seem to be bulletproof if you do the periodic maintenance. The 32-36 are light enough you don't really need the hydros. The 22 will wear on you before long. Can you get a Deere power bagger for the LX279 for leaves? Cyclone Rake? You may not need leaf capacity until next fall. That and a backpack and a blade grinder will make a pretty full arsenal.

Looks like all your problems are high class :laugh::laugh::laugh: