PDA

View Full Version : First mow of the season???

timfitch
12-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Living in Columbus Ohio I was wondering what was the average start time for the season,I was thinking end of March to April but not sure ???????????????????*newusflag*

Wells
12-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Since the answers are going to vary alot depending on where people are located around the country the best answer I can give you is to start when the grasses begin to come out of dormancy, for us that time of year is usually the first or second week in April. An application of fertilizer in early March will help jump start the process.

MJS
12-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I usually look to start right after the Forsythia bushes begin to bloom (usually early March).

Stillwater
12-14-2007, 11:44 AM
for me every year is different, depending on the soil temp, I started pre-m apps as early as late febuary one year. But useally gear up first week of march or so.

toac
12-14-2007, 12:03 PM
for me every year is different, depending on the soil temp, I started pre-m apps as early as late febuary one year. But useally gear up first week of march or so.

he's right. it varies year to year. i'll give the broad answer of mid march to early april.

IN2MOWN
12-14-2007, 01:22 PM
I live in the KC area. Usually the first week in March, if there is no snow on the ground, Ill go out and do spring cleanups and cut back any winter growth. That usually takes me about 2 weeks to do all my houses.

After that its usually about 2 more weeks before I start doing houses on a regular basis.

Dollar Spot
12-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Over 24 years in business in Northeast Ohio, I've started as early as Mar. 1st and as late as the last week in April. Wish I could be more help!

enviouslawns
12-14-2007, 02:13 PM
this is only gonna be my third year but the first 2 years i started on the second monday of april

BUCKEYE MOWING
12-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Probably end of March ...if your doing spring clean ups.

clint.toris
12-14-2007, 03:46 PM
as you see you're getting mixed responses because it all depends, not only on the weather but on the equipment you're using. if, for say, you're using a 60" deck zero turn mower, and the ground is still fairly soggy and not quite firm, you're more apt to do damage to the new grass which can set you back a ways as well as make a mess for the business or homeowner. better to schedual srping cleanup for mid to late march and get started mowing as soon as you think afterwards.... I usually use tax day april 15 as a good benchmark but it depends. Here in iowa we can still get snowstorms in early april.

Dollar Spot
12-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Like the name Clint!

beano
12-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Where at in columbus do you live, im out here in the galloway grove city area. I usually start the first week of April.....at least its been that way for me for the past 5 years!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Rochester, MN Area here. Once the snow/frost comes off the frozen tundra, I do the first cut right at the end of April or very early May.