PDA

View Full Version : Variable Geometry Turbos

SiteSolutions
12-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Seems like I've heard of VGTs getting stuck and not working as intended. Seems like I also heard of getting your ECU flashed with newer firmware so the vanes will cycle when you shut off the truck, or something like that, to help keep this from happening.

Anybody got the straight scoop on this? Any way to diagnose sticky vanes? Any manufacturers / engine types this is more common on?

TXNSLighting
12-14-2007, 12:33 PM
o lets see. your quite acurate on them. powerstrokes use to see this alot but it got corrected. as far as duramax....well havent paid attention. dodges had luck with em, but the new 6.7's turbo is havin some issues. i havent paid to much attention to turbos, so i could be completely wrong on them, but i know the powerstrokes the best, and i know thats accurate. but the other two, well yeh.

Gravel Rat
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
If you get the current reflash for the 03-04 trucks is that is what you have it helps the sticking problem.

See Ford was one of the first ones to use the variable vane turbo and when they first came out they had problems with carbon from the high sulphur fuels. Now that the ultra low sulphur fuel is out the problem isn't as bad as it was. The high sulphur fuel also caused EGR problems.

The big problems the 6.0s have is people idle them too long it should only be 5 to 10 minutes if its longer bump the rpm up to 1000. Then the other problem people don't drive them enough or drive the truck hard enough. Thats not a problem for me I drive the truck hard most of the time getting it into the 3000 mark.

Now that there is engine oils designed for low emmissions use that and it keeps the carbon to lower levels even better.

I like my 6.0 it took a while to get used to it coming from a 7.3 because the 7.3 has a little more bottom end power where the 6.0 is middle and top end power. I have a 6spd manual in my truck so its not like you can stomp on it and the truck takes off. I took a chance with a 03 it seems like I have a good one no problems besides a reflash and changed the EGR valve.