PDA

View Full Version : So who's NOT DONE with clean-ups yet?

lawnguyland
12-14-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm not done- have about 1.5 days left. Howza 'bout yew?

How many days/ clean-ups left?

SimonCX
12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Still have a couple to do, but there all touch ups so even if it snows and it doesn't get done it's not a big deal because there bascially done. 1-2 days and I'll be done with cleanups for this year.

IN2MOWN
12-14-2007, 03:14 PM
20 homes for final cleanups left. Probably about 10 days left of work.

Frue
12-14-2007, 03:21 PM
not going to finish

lawnguyland
12-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Still have a couple to do, but there all touch ups so even if it snows and it doesn't get done it's not a big deal because there bascially done. 1-2 days and I'll be done with cleanups for this year.

I'm in the same boat- good thing I cleaned some leaves with snow on them last week (hee hee hee) otheriwse I'd be in worse shape now. Yesterday I mowed in the sleet (for about 2 minutes!). I also have to just go around and tidy up a few- no biggie- we should be ok next week for a few days to work- good luck with the rest of the year

TREEGUARD
12-14-2007, 03:52 PM
I Have About 7 Houses Left Then It's Time To Relax

Dollar Spot
12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Four cleanups to go but ones about six acres and we have snow moving in on Sunday. I've never seen the leaves drop this late in the season around here. You do what you can do.

Raven386
12-14-2007, 04:11 PM
i had a few to do still.... yesterday morning we were doing leaves and then in the afternoon we were plowing :dizzy:

Dollar Spot
12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
You guys out east are going to get hammered once that noreaster sets up. I'm hoping it goes further south and then up the east coast so we just get brushed by it.

Raven386
12-14-2007, 04:15 PM
After last night, I want a break!

dane1985
12-14-2007, 04:34 PM
I just have 4-5 left to do once the snow melts.

Matts lawn care
12-14-2007, 07:52 PM
I will be going strong until the twenty second then I can start my winter projects. Today was real productive for me I just hope I can get the leaves into piles before the winterly mix hits.

KS_Grasscutter
12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Do ice storm cleanups count? If so, I am gonna be busy for quite some time. I am almost done with mine but I teamed up with a large family-ran lawn service here, and they probably have 50 left yet. Gettin kinda sick of cutting and dragging limbs, and driving to the landfill... And of course the storm cleanups are on hold for a while as it is snowing now, supposed to get 10 inches... So once I get totally caught up, I will finish my leaf cleanups... or just wait till spring to do 'em.

EngineeredLawns
12-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Did several here today. Have about 5 more to go. Leaves are still on the trees somwhat. We borke record high temps this week. Fortunatly we have not had the ice storms that other areas have had and about 120 miles to the north they have had snow.

topsites
12-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I got at least 10 left, might be a good thing for money after Christmas, thou judging from past years usually come January I'm not worth a whole lot for it.

Didn't think I would get anything done today, it was super foggy until past noon and everything wet, but with rain coming tomorrow and yesterday I took off because it was SUPPOSED to rain (I hate that man) and it looked so dark but no rain, well I went out in the truck mostly for the effect and next thing you know two actually got done.

Might try that tactic again tomorrow.

not going to finish

Basically.

DLAWNS
12-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I have about six or seven more to do before Christmas and maybe like 2-3 after the holidays of customers that want to wait.

CLARK LAWN
12-14-2007, 10:17 PM
ive gotat least 2 good weeks of cleanups left knocked out 2 today. it was so wet all i could use was backpacks.all the snow we got melted and the we got 1.6 inches of rain. the last two months have been so wet it is almost imposible to even walk on the yards.

mag360
12-14-2007, 10:40 PM
13 left---nothing under 3/4 acre several over 2 acres. Bluebird 12 bushel collection system is down until tuesday (waiting on motor and parts---$500). Using the little 9 bushel John Deere unit is tedious but beats the old school tarp and rake. Truck loader needs recoil assembly replaced and can't get to it without dissassembling part of the trailer box---currently running on duct tape and elbow grease. Everyone wants it done now---but make it cheap and send the bill, they'll pay sometime.... Leaf season stresses me out.

texpro
12-14-2007, 10:50 PM
its been 80+ here im still mowing grass just like i was in july so much for charging by the month instead of by the cut

PlatinumLandCon
12-14-2007, 10:53 PM
12 houses I couldn't do. We now have about 6" of snow on the ground with temps in the 20's and we're gettin 10-12" more starting in about 24 hours:dizzy:

tuscanvalleylandscaping
12-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Worst season yet about 20 left to do . Nothing but frozen leaves. Yesterday the leaf loader froze solid we had to take a torch and melt the block of ice on impeller in between jobs.:hammerhead:

J&T Kiev
12-15-2007, 09:02 AM
I finished up clean ups..just in the "nick of time" just before the weather went "completely south".

lawnguyland
12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks! I think in the coastal areas of the Northeast that we should be able to do a few days of clean-ups next week as the storm coming is supposed to end as all rain and wash away the snow.

TomberLawn
12-15-2007, 01:57 PM
I did two big ones yesterday, one smaller one this morning. It's cold and raining here in N Carolina. My truck and equipment are a mess, but nothing compared to you northern guys who clean up leaves and snow in the same day. I have about 6 more to do before calling it quits for the winter, but most of them should go pretty quickly. 4 will only require my walk behind mower with the bagger since they are small and I've already cleaned them once. One of the other two is one I did yesterday but still needs a final touch up once all the leaves are down. The last is going to be a big one. Huge, old trees in the front yard. My leaf extension is coming in next Wednesday for my grass gobbler, but I don't think that will be enough to handle this job. I need a dump truck and loader, or at least something like a Cyclone Rake to suck up all of those. I think my brother and I are going to engineer/fab something this winter to put on our Gator to suck up remote leaf piles.

topsites
12-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Welps I got my one done for the usual half-a-day Saturday JUST in the nick of time as I loaded up it started LOL.
Good thing I re-learned that age old lesson don't trust the weather forecast, 90% but it didn't even start drizzling until 3pm.

11 more, a few haven't been touched, couple should be fast and quick, at least one is a major hauler, fun fun fun.
I'll push it thou, I got the energy for earning that last extra cash now, it will do a lot of good if I don't slack off.

memac259
12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm still getting calls. Was down to three but picked up 2 more today. Guess I'll have to start saying no...........................

J&R Landscaping
12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
I'll be working all this week hoping to get finished. If not, I will be out on Christmas eve during the day. By then, I should be finished!

roguesuerte
12-15-2007, 07:32 PM
The leaves fell late here so we have about a dozen or so left, for some it will be our third pass. We had a day last week where we we doing leaves while the snow was coming down at a modest pace. It was a bit surreal but it didnt slow us down much becaue the leaves stayed dry, just had a little extra snow to tarp-up in the process. It was better than wet leaves hands-down.

old oak lawn
12-15-2007, 07:50 PM
last one today. i dont like cleanups but i dont have a leaf loader. i will next year for sure.

lawnguyland
12-16-2007, 07:08 AM
I'm planning on finishing up in the middle of this week as temps should be in the 40s. Go away snow, come back after Christmas please.

jrc lawncare
12-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Worst season yet about 20 left to do . Nothing but frozen leaves. Yesterday the leaf loader froze solid we had to take a torch and melt the block of ice on impeller in between jobs.:hammerhead: Now that just sucks. best i can come up with is, a rain day in which it rained all day, still worked. Picking up leaves with the truckloader, water just pouring out the bottom, but still vaccing em up.:laugh:

WALKER LANDSCAPE
12-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Have a few more and we will be done. The snow will melt off. No big leaf clean ups just cleaning up the beds.

davis45
12-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Just 3 left plus my own yard! :hammerhead:

Woke up to a good 8 inches of snow i'd say.:cry:

lawnpro724
12-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm about ready to give up and finish the rest of my cleanups in the spring. Every time we think the weather is going to work out it doesn't. All it does anymore is rain, sleet, or snow and we can't seem to get anything done. If all the snow melts by mid week were going to try and get the last 2 done but if we can't get done by Christmas then they can wait til next spring.

topsites
12-16-2007, 05:37 PM
chit I got that one done Saturday and now I have 12 left...

But I don't care, the extra money surely won't hurt even this late.
They just keep coming...

One reason is education, customers don't want to call me in spring for leaves that never got done.
No sir, I charge $100 an hour for that crap, doing them now it's $50 an hour.

Because you think it sucks now then just wait and see how bad it is come spring.

Do them now, get it over with, my attitude.

Unless you got snow on the ground or they're frozen or soaking wet or 20+mph winds, not much doing there I suppose.

lawnguyland
12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
chit I got that one done Saturday and now I have 12 left...

But I don't care, the extra money surely won't hurt even this late.
They just keep coming...

One reason is education, customers don't want to call me in spring for leaves that never got done.
No sir, I charge $100 an hour for that crap, doing them now it's $50 an hour.

Because you think it sucks now then just wait and see how bad it is come spring.

Do them now, get it over with, my attitude.

Unless you got snow on the ground or they're frozen or soaking wet or 20+mph winds, not much doing there I suppose.

Oh man I'm with ya on that- I'll be out finishing up midweek. Rather do it now, charge for 100% of the clean-up and then have easier spring clean-ups.

It is absurd around here though- there are a lot of super old oak trees that were dropping leaves still= even today and yesterday. I was shoveling slushy leaves today! Houses I did final clean-ups at late last week now have a fresh coating- albeit light- of leaves. I might hit them again after I finsh the last round, but who knows.

Looking Good Lawn Service
12-16-2007, 08:42 PM
we are under about 15" of snow here in RI in the last two snow storms,lol... I finished the day before the first snow storm of the season. I only had two clean-ups left

Trhfire19
12-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I finished up my last 2 on Dec. 14th just in time to put the plow on for the snow storm

GreenerSideLC
12-17-2007, 02:11 PM
have 20+ still left to do. I make about 2-3 trips to each clean-up to get the bulk so the Final clean-ups arents so bad, but with the wind, rain,and late drops its been hard to get everything outta the beds. its not final til everything is clean. I figure if I had another 10 days before the snow they would have gottin finished. last year at this time clean-ups were finished and I was waitin for snow this year Im swearin at the snow for comin haha:laugh:

AL Inc
12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah, not a great finish to this season, but this season was just tough the whole way. Last year I had a beautiful finish, about a week before Christmas, did a few odds and ends, then took off the week between Christmas and New Years. That was nice.
But this year there was just too narrow of a window to finish. We only started going full bore on clean-ups the week of Thanksgiving, and the weather wasn't good.
I'm not even sure I will be able to get out at all this week.

Sweet Tater
12-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Thought I was done... again.... till I got a cll this morning from my biggest customer to ome do hers again. soooooo

PRO DETAIL LANDSCAPING
12-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Snow Whats That Lol.. We Cut About 10 Months A Year Here....

lawnguyland
12-17-2007, 05:11 PM
have 20+ still left to do. I make about 2-3 trips to each clean-up to get the bulk so the Final clean-ups arents so bad, but with the wind, rain,and late drops its been hard to get everything outta the beds. its not final til everything is clean. I figure if I had another 10 days before the snow they would have gottin finished. last year at this time clean-ups were finished and I was waitin for snow this year Im swearin at the snow for comin haha:laugh:

Exactly what you said.

lawnguyland
12-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah, not a great finish to this season, but this season was just tough the whole way. Last year I had a beautiful finish, about a week before Christmas, did a few odds and ends, then took off the week between Christmas and New Years. That was nice.
But this year there was just too narrow of a window to finish. We only started going full bore on clean-ups the week of Thanksgiving, and the weather wasn't good.
I'm not even sure I will be able to get out at all this week.

I think tomorrow will be useless, but weds may be ok. If we get one nice day what I should do is go to Hempstead tpke, get 5 amigos and blast it all out. Should, but won't.

AL Inc
12-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I was at my in-laws in Hicksville today, I think you guys in Nassau are better off than us..could see a lot more grass than by us in Northport. Wednesday might be the day to get back to work.

blowerboy
12-17-2007, 09:45 PM
im realy having a hard time this fall, ive got atlest 1 full wk and theres 3-6 inches of snow on the ****** ground.lol. more coming too i think, im in southwest ct. sooo, now i have to just wait it out and hope for rain and a lot of sun so this snow can melt away.

ive got to cut, blow and do some trimming on pricker bushes, and bushes. also i think im going to give a last season cut because its a quater inch of 3" and i cut at 2.75 in fall +bag all year. boy oooo boy im gonna have a "midd winter crisis".....lololol:laugh:

RICHIE K
12-18-2007, 06:51 AM
5 left :cool2:

goodgreen
12-18-2007, 07:16 AM
I got done on a Friday and the next day it snowed so I went right from leaves to snow removal. Nice timing....

lawnguyland
12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I got done on a Friday and the next day it snowed so I went right from leaves to snow removal. Nice timing....

i hate you :laugh:

bamacutter
12-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Snow Whats That Lol.. We Cut About 10 Months A Year Here....

ha! yea we just had our first hard freeze Sunday night and the leaves are still falling I see no end insight!

TomberLawn
12-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Well, I've got one more I think. Here are a couple of pics from a yard I did this week. The before pic was taken a couple weeks ago when all I did was blow the leaves, but the second was the final clean up. I blew then bagged with my Lawn Boy. The last pic is a make-shift leaf plow I used on another yard. My brother blew the leaves into huge windrows and I pushed them into the woods.

Andyinchville
12-22-2007, 09:02 PM
1 more day.....I'll wait until after New Years tho...

Andrew

Sweet Tater
12-22-2007, 10:28 PM
I have 1/2 a lawn left. Got started on it, its a 2 day job and it started raining the next day, has't stopped yet. Looks like I'll finish next year.

mowingtowing
12-23-2007, 05:49 PM
We are still scheduling people 2 weeks out. No end untill at least the end of Jan 7th week.

TJLANDS
12-23-2007, 05:54 PM
For the first time in almost 20 years we are not done with cleanups before Christmas. It just has been a weird fall. Leaves stayed up very late. Bradford's came down about Dec 15th or so. Looking like January 7th or so to finish. Then hopefully some snow.

Happy Holidays everyone!!

AL Inc
12-27-2007, 09:40 AM
So for everyone still working, how are you guys doing? We were able to get back out on Friday 12/22 and have gotten another 17 done so far. Still have about 40 to go after today. Weather isn't great, but no snow or frozen ground, so this is a gift. Looks somewhat decent through at least New Years. Good luck out there guys:waving:

TomberLawn
12-27-2007, 11:10 AM
My cousin asked me at Christmas dinner to do her yard. It rained really good yesterday and it's supposed to rain a lot more this weekend, so I'm going over there this afternoon. I put some plywood sides on my truck bed with spring clamps so I can pile it a little higher. The back yard can be blown to the back of the property, but my aunt wants what I mulch from the front yard to put on her garden.

IN2MOWN
12-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I just got an email from a weather guy on FOX 4 here in KC and he told me that January in the midwest is going to be great! He said to expect 50s by the end of the next week or at the lastest around January 7th or so. I should be able to finish everything up by then and have some great income coming in February.

ACA L&L
12-27-2007, 04:36 PM
well we were supposed to of been done on christmas eve..........now we are at least 9 cleanups away and one full day of pruning at the mercedes dealership from being done.....throw in the possibility of a snow storm and bam! not anytime soon. (we had fluries today, thought i had frostbite on my fingers at one point)

lawnprosteveo
12-27-2007, 06:45 PM
I wouldve been about done by now but our little ice storm thru everything into a tail spin.....
Now we gotta get up all the storm debris...piles and piles of huge limbs...then I can finish the leaves.....
Probably wont be done until the end of Feb!!!

AL Inc
01-09-2008, 02:08 PM
So anybody still going? :laugh: we've gotten down to about 8 or 9 left, the weather the last three days have been nice here. Giant Vac loader down today, needs a new impeller, so that will be out of commission until Friday or Saturday. Should be able to finish up by early next week:dizzy: Can't wait to put this season to bed!

CLARK LAWN
01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
ive got 9 left. getting real old taking the salt spreader off and on all the time.i need about 1 week to finish up.

Petr51488
01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Either tomorrow or monday will be the last for me! It's been the longest season by far. Not complaining though!

IN2MOWN
01-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I have about 10-15 left. Did 5 on Monday, 2 today and got some gutters cleaned out. Should be able to finish up by the end of next week weather permitting.

SchultzLawnCare
01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I would love to be doing yards now. i ended in the middle of November. and wont start until April. man, you gys are lucky. :]

lawnguyland
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I've been out cleaning gutters this week- 1 more day and that's that. Hoooo freakin ray! Just in time for some snow hopefully....:weightlifter:

KS_Grasscutter
01-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, looks like by the end of this weekend I will be finishing up ice storm cleanups (frickin FINALLY...), then next Thursday I will be out of school, so I will do my stump grinding for most of the day, than that Friday I may go around and do a few final leaf cleanups. Then again, maybe not...

Marcos
01-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Good weather yesterday in Cincy / Dayton area, around 65 and sunny.

I got out and did two small mold / moss removal jobs on shingle roofs before it got really windy later, as the cold front started blasting through.

Rarely do I ever get to doing those in January.