PDA

View Full Version : Why should they choose your company?

Wells
12-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Over the next few months the market will be saturated with new lawn care companies with each one trying to get a foot hold in the market. As you begin to consider your marketing strategy you should also determine what is going to seperate you from your competition.

Why should a client choose your company over the other dozen that dropped off flyers, what makes your company the better choice for them?

PerfectEarth
12-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Because I am not the type of company that needs to drop off 2,000 flyers to generate business. Referrals and WOM.

dKoester
12-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Because we used doorhangers instead. On a serious note over half are going to be illegal, not have insurance and when asked certain questions about various issues regarding the landscape they aren't going to know what to say because they are "GREEN". Basically it boils down to experience. Helps to be certified as well.

topsites
12-14-2007, 11:03 PM
They come, they go, every year it's the same thing, a whole fleet of shiny new faces.

Way I see things 90% of them don't make it past 2-5 years.
Considering the pages I could fill with all of the ramifications of someone who isn't on their first few tours of this rodeo anymore, I do admit I've lost sight of some things but it surely is not due to a lack of incoming, so without further opening up this whole can of worms I can easily conclude that this sets me apart.

dKoester
12-14-2007, 11:09 PM
We're supposed to get some rain this weekend topsites. Hope your doing well.

topsites
12-14-2007, 11:12 PM
We're supposed to get some rain this weekend topsites. Hope your doing well.

Yeah we were supposed to get some yesterday, it was dark and rough looking out so I took the day off LOL then we got nothing! Man I tell you, I would've took today off because we were deep in fog until past noon but with a 90% or so chance for tomorrow I felt I better do something if just for show.

It'll be all right, got a whole another week and what don't get done by Xmas I can probably get shortly after, and then what don't get done... well I don't want to think about that right now, it'll be all right.

Wells
12-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Knowledge of the industry and long gevity in the filed are certanly ways the older companies can set them selves apart and use it towards their advantage but i'm trying to get the new guys to think about how their going to set themselves apart and to use that to help them in their marketing efforts.

A marketing ad that tells Mrs Jones your a new company offering lawn care isn't going be nearly as effective as telling Mrs. Jones what you can offer her that others may not, you need to give Mrs Jones a reason to call you otherwise she might as well just pick the flyer on the top of the pile. So, what makes you different from the other lawn boys trying to get Mrs. Jones account?

dKoester
12-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Good to hear from you bud.

PROCUT1
12-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Cause whatever they will mow for, i will do it cheaper

Sweet Tater
12-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Because I am the best looking bald man in the business in this area lol
Seriously, because I am dependable, If I can't answer their question right then I'll get the answer quick, and it will be right. I do a good job and do it right the first time.
Plus I am really good looking rofl

PlatinumLandCon
12-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Cause whatever they will mow for, i will do it cheaper
Thats a BULL$HIT response! People like you will give this industry a black eye and will be out of business in a year.

Wells
12-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Good answer Tater.....many clients look for dependability in a service provider.

hackitdown
12-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Over the next few months the market will be saturated with new lawn care companies with each one trying to get a foot hold in the market. As you begin to consider your marketing strategy you should also determine what is going to seperate you from your competition.

Why should a client choose your company over the other dozen that dropped off flyers, what makes your company the better choice for them?

I keep it pretty simple. I advertise the specific service I want to sell, and in very plain language. I return calls very quickly. I try to go look at the job asap, and give them a fair price that day. I find that promptness is very helpful. Far more effective than a low price.

For mowing customers, 95% of the time they call when it gets long and needs a cut. I go look at the lawn, knock on the door or call them back at work, price it right then and there, and then offer to cut it while I'm there...if they sign up with me. If the competition shows up to price it, and it is cut already, it alters their view of the customer. Or, when the competition calls back 3 days later, the customer explains that they are all set.

Price is not even an issue.

topsites
12-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Knowledge of the industry and long gevity in the filed are certanly ways the older companies can set them selves apart and use it towards their advantage but i'm trying to get the new guys to think about how their going to set themselves apart and to use that to help them in their marketing efforts.

I see...

A marketing ad that tells Mrs Jones your a new company offering lawn care isn't going be nearly as effective as telling Mrs. Jones what you can offer her that others may not, you need to give Mrs Jones a reason to call you otherwise she might as well just pick the flyer on the top of the pile. So, what makes you different from the other lawn boys trying to get Mrs. Jones account?

For marketing talk is cheap, because the more you talk the lower your price will sink, so save the bs for later over coffee.

As was said, get to your calls and now, that is VERY important!
Either answer when it rings, or return the call as SOON as you see you've got a message.
Introduce yourself, ask for their address and get out there within the next 20 minutes and have the fastest estimate in town in the customers hands before their phone has even cooled off.

A typical return call would sound like this:
> You: Hi, this is "your firstname" with "nameof Your CO" and I am returning your call concerning an estimate for "the work they requested."
- Customer: Yes hi blablabla....
> Certainly, may I please have your address?
- (Gives you address)
> Thank you very much, I should have this estimate to you shortly so you can decide, thank you for your time.
(wait 1-2 seconds, might be 1 more thing but click).

Then get out there, figure this out and give them the price.

If they agree, finish the agreement by repeating the work and the price, once you get confirmation now set a time, let them know as closely as you can when you will be able to do it, leave yourself a little room for error but more than anything do it as agreed.

BLAM!
Yes sir.

Other notes: It helps to have this down to a system, then stick to it.
Work yourself out a plan on how to deal with these folks, it helps not to fly it by the seat of your pants.
This I learned the hard way.

Dave_005
12-15-2007, 07:54 PM
i pass out flyers the end of march but get most of my accounts from people who talk to me while i'm on another yard in thier area and by word of mouth and some referrals. they see the work i do and know i'm Very dependable, i show up EVERY week on the Same day and as close to the same time as i can, i have 37 accounts now and looking to double that for season. good work, dependable and reliable will get you all the accounts you can handle.

roguesuerte
12-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Without trying to appear arrogant, it is because we are everywhere in our very limited work area. We maintain about three hundred residentials in about three square miles. Our clients and their nighbors know who we are and see us out working when they leave for work and when they come home from work at night. We are a sure-thing for are clients in terms of dependability and we always emphasize quality.
We manage to keep this grouping despite the fact that I look like der-tar-baby by ten am most days.

DuraCutter
12-15-2007, 11:16 PM

For 95% of customers, it's price that separates the various quotes... simple and true! Residential customers are spending their OWN MONEY, so it's stands to reason, that's all they think about. After all, how hard is it to cut lawn...:laugh:

PRICE, and that's about it. Oh, I forgot, the other 5%, the rich people, well they will consider other things if the price is right...:laugh:

That's why we don't do residential... it's a jungle that will get deadlier as the months go by. TOO MANY LCOs...

:)

willjones4
12-16-2007, 12:02 AM
I show up when I say I will.
I speak English.
I do a great job at a reasonable price.
I dont smoke crack or do meth.
I wont case your house or ogle your wife or daughters.
Im a solo outfit so I wont bring other help around that may violate the above.