PDA

View Full Version : Mailers??

schunklawn
12-14-2007, 10:08 PM
hey guys....i was just wondering how you go about doing mailers...i am wanting to send out like 5,000 postcards for spring...this is the first of my researching....may be a stupid question but i haven't tried it yet...i'm guessing you just get your postcards made up and then have them sent out from your post office....?? thanks for any help...

No Bunk Lawn Care

Sweet Tater
12-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Thats the just of it, I began doing mailers the middle of this past season. Talk to the post office about bulk mail prices. With that amount it would benifit you, or have a company mail them for you. If I mailed 5000 It would encompas 3 states and 14 counies. My area is very rural so I am only doing about 400-500 post cards, printing them myself and doing the .26 cent stamps I figure about a 3-7% return. Also walking door to door and doing door hangers also, plus I run my mouth to everyone I talk to. Just getting ready to start my second year so well see how next year goes.

PaproskiLandscaping
12-14-2007, 11:11 PM
mailers are good to "get your name out there". They increase your visibility and help to start to familiarize local consumers with your name, but don't expect to get many sales leads from them. For example how many times do you see an add for Lowe's and say hey I really just got a craving to buy lumber. But i bet if you see enough Lowe's commercials, the next time you need some lumber Lowe's is going to be the first name that comes to your mind.

As other members have said you get most of your leads from networking, word of mouth and people stopping by at an account or a job that you are doing and asking for your card. My best tip, especially your first year out there is to advertise as much as you can to get your name out there. Everyone in the country knows what Pepsi is because there name is everywhere. Leave business cards Everywhere! Advertise on diner place mats, walk around with a company shirt on whenever you can, letter all your trucks and use lawn signs (if zoning and the customer allows it). Lawn signs say "If you like how this lawn looks and you want your lawn to look this good too, then give me a call".

Wells
12-14-2007, 11:29 PM
I don't know what all the talk is about the 2% return on the fliers. Not saying that it couldn't be an accurate average for your area but i am get a much higher response percentage in my area and also gaining a high percentage of those calls as customers. You may want to put a little more thought into the design and wording of your advertising. You can easily gain 50 customers by the early part of the mowing season. I am usually getting about 20%-25% return as far as calls go and similar results for actual business with my fliers.

No Bunk Lawn Care........

Arn't you the same guy that posted the above quote from another thread?

With that great flyer that gives a 25% return on calls why would you consider a different marketing avenue? By the way I though you were going to post that flyer, I'm still interested to see what a flyer built with a spreadsheet program looks like.

bigw
12-14-2007, 11:38 PM
My first yr this yr and im about to send out 9,500 5x8 full color both sides postcards and all in a 10 mile radius of my house,adds in papers,also on craigslist,door to door flyers and my logo plasterd on both sides of my 8x16 enclosed trailer and on the ramp,also on both sides of my truck and thats how im going to get my name out their to start,not to mention all the networking ive been doing over the past 3 mos....i am trying!!!:usflag:

schunklawn
12-15-2007, 12:36 AM
yea Wells i'm the same guy...i pass out a lot of fliers and they do great but i don't have the time to do 5,000 of them....i am trying to go to the next step next season...adding another crew and want to keep everyone busy....sorry for the delay on the fliers, i will get them up as soon as i can....i just want to flood a certain area with my name and i have heard pretty much only good things about doing mailers...i only have time to hand out like 100 fliers at a time....lol i would rather be doing other things....you gotta pay to play...

No Bunk Lawn Care

Grits
12-15-2007, 12:38 AM
yea Wells i'm the same guy...i pass out a lot of fliers and they do great but i don't have the time to do 5,000 of them....i am trying to go to the next step next season...adding another crew and want to keep everyone busy....sorry for the delay on the fliers, i will get them up as soon as i can....i just want to flood a certain area with my name and i have heard pretty much only good things about doing mailers...i only have time to hand out like 100 fliers at a time....lol i would rather be doing other things....you gotta pay to play...

No Bunk Lawn Care

It takes less than a minute to upload a file to the forum. I would like to see it too. I need an idea for a good flyer.

schunklawn
12-15-2007, 12:42 AM
i didn't do my fliers with a spreadsheet program either by the way...i got them done at kwik kopy...had them made up...i don't know that i could have created them at home or not...i will post them now if i can

No Bunk Lawn Care

schunklawn
12-15-2007, 12:48 AM
i was having trouble resizing them...here's what i got....they work really well for me...

Wells
12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
i didn't do my fliers with a spreadsheet program either by the way...i got them done at kwik kopy...had them made up...i don't know that i could have created them at home or not...i will post them now if i can

No Bunk Lawn Care

Sorry about that, I went back and read the other post again and your right, it was someone else that was creating their fliers in a spreadsheet. I appologize for getting the mixup.

The fliers look good, simple and to the point.
Sometimes less is more.

JayD
12-15-2007, 01:31 PM
i was having trouble resizing them...here's what i got....they work really well for me...

Hey Schunk,

What does " NO BUNK " mean?

UpNorth
12-15-2007, 01:53 PM
I have used mailers in the past, both postcards and tri-fold mailers and they work pretty well. I just read a thread on Gopher the other day that might help. It makes alot of sense. I'll put the link below.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=8;t=6577

Wells
12-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I've tried many different forms of advertising and they each bring in a certain percentage of clients but for me fliers seem to have a better success rate and I can specifically market the areas that I want to work in.

No matter what form of advertising you do keep in mind that it's all about timming.
I know an individual who put a good deal of his lawn care marketing budget into mailers and they same day they were delivered it ended up snowing unexpectedly and not one person called from the ads.

Here is one of the fliers I used last season to advertise for fall and winter services.

schunklawn
12-15-2007, 03:02 PM
No Bunk basically means no Bull S***....you can interpret it as you please....i like those mailers WELLS...they are descriptive but still to the point i will have to maybe base mine off those....also thanks for the link to that site...all help and opinions are great...thanks for the info guys...

No Bunk Lawn Care........:usflag:

Sweet Tater
12-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Sorry about that, I went back and read the other post again and your right, it was someone else that was creating their fliers in a spreadsheet. I appologize for getting the mixup.

The fliers look good, simple and to the point.
Sometimes less is more.

Mr Well, this is a bit off but pertaining to the flyer on a spreadsheet program. Xcel works great with that. You actually can do alot of things on it that Word couldn't. Excel is alot more than spreadsheets. It can be programed with visual basic to preform functions automatically such as totaling a colum of figures, averaging them then placing them in a certain order, such as gas, it can date, total and then place it in another sheet according to month. And handles graphics and words quite well. I took a class in it for over a year. Excel is an amazing program

Grass Happens
12-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Excel is an amazing program, but for mailers, etc i would prefer publisher, or better yet one of the adobes. depending on how advanced you wanna go, adobes do better color separated files, cmyk, rgb etc. for really nice presentations, that's the way to go. For disposable mailers, even the cheap-o programs from OfficeMax work decent.

corey4671
12-15-2007, 11:21 PM
I had that same huge text GOT LEAVES? on my fall cleanup flyer in 2006. Great minds must think alike!

12-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Excel is an amazing program

Whats also nice with Excel is that it works so well with Word!

Using Office 2007 it is so nice how well everything works together. You can make great fliers by using them together. Of couse you can create tables in Word or Excel. Or you can create a Word flier with a linked Excel price table, and when you update your price data sheet in excell it would automatically update your flier the next time you opened it. Or if it was a services offered list, etc... updated! Linking is a very nice tool in Office 2007, it was probally there in 2003 edition also, I just never used it til now.

STRINGALATION
12-16-2007, 02:22 AM
not to hijack butttt is a mailer the same as direct marketing. if i have the terms right. iam looking to target demographics like for instance specific zip codes and home owners. in my mind i think i provide the post cards and they take it from there