PDA

View Full Version : Plugr Aerator 850 HD, 800, 600 etc. and rocky soil?

Exact Rototilling
12-15-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm planning on specializing in aeration in my local area. payup

However I'm slightly concerned about trashing the machine on rocks. I'm about 90% sure the 850 HD is the way to go however I would consider the other Plugr models if I can find a decent used unit.

How often have you had to replace tines?

Bent the crank assembly?

Have you ever broken the machine?

**Side Note**

Is the hydro drive on the 850 a single speed or variable? Have you used the step saver? Is it worth it?

Also what did you pay for your unit? $

What is the better engine - Honda or Brigs?

mdlwn1
12-15-2007, 02:52 PM
If your serious, Then go with the ryan 28..it shouldn't matter what it costs as you should be able to pay it off in week or so of aerating. We got 12 years out of one hitting everything from concrete, iron, every rock in New Jersey, dropping it 4 feet from the back of a boxtruck. The tines might last a week of 40 hr use..maybe longer. We were always impressed that the sealed bearings on the cams never went bad. The best was when you had a tree root area..you can put it in neutral while aerating and put 8 million holes in WHATEVER is below you. It was kinda like an orgasm for the homeowner to see a lush new lawn where no one had been able to grow anything.

Exact Rototilling
12-16-2007, 09:40 PM
mdlwn1,

Is the Ryan 28 aerator top heavy? Or have any isssues on side hills or going up and down slopes?